Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 11:23 AM

158 posts, read 106,433 times

Advertisements

Not that it is 99% likely to happen, but say a pilot of Air force one leaked all the details of what AFO can do or a secret service agent leaked all the SS protocols, what kind of sentence do you think they would get? Life in prison? Execution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 03:31 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Consider the example of Edward Snowden.

Or Julian Assange.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:38 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,870,211 times
What should happen.... Is they are lined up against a wall. I think if traitors start being dealt with accordingly that ish will stop really fast.

I'm torn on Snowden. I used to be very against what he did, but as I've grown older and I look at the world differently now, he exposed a lot of really bad things that the gov is doing and he did it at his own expense.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:42 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Our government does a lot of really bad stuff.

There was a time when I held a TS clearance and was working as the Intelligence Officer onboard a nuclear submarine. I was studying the files we had about some of the stupid underhanded unethical crap that our government was doing. I became very 'disenfranchised' with our nation.

I knew that if I published any of that stuff I would be in prison for the rest of my life. So I kept my mouth shut.

At the time, everyone saw that I was becoming disenfranchised. So I was assigned each week to play the part of 'terrorist' for each week's security drill. Steal a firearm from the weapons locker, hold one of the officers hostage and use the PA system to go on a Ted Kaczynski-style rant about how screwed up our government is, while the rest of the crew tried to incapacitate me. My firearm was never loaded, and it was all to train the crew. But it gave me the opportunity to scream about some of the shyte that I was reading in those CIA reports.

I respect what Snowden did. He knew it was illegal and he would be subject to prison. But he had the courage to get that information out to the public. I was a coward.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:27 PM

6,121 posts, read 3,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

There was a time when I held a TS clearance and was working as the Intelligence Officer onboard a nuclear submarine. I was studying the files we had about some of the stupid underhanded unethical crap that our government was doing. I became very 'disenfranchised' with our nation.

I knew that if I published any of that stuff I would be in prison for the rest of my life. So I kept my mouth shut.

At the time, everyone saw that I was becoming disenfranchised. So I was assigned each week to play the part of 'terrorist' for each week's security drill. Steal a firearm from the weapons locker, hold one of the officers hostage and use the PA system to go on a Ted Kaczynski-style rant about how screwed up our government is, while the rest of the crew tried to incapacitate me. My firearm was never loaded, and it was all to train the crew. But it gave me the opportunity to scream about some of the shyte that I was reading in those CIA reports.

I respect what Snowden did. He knew it was illegal and he would be subject to prison. But he had the courage to get that information out to the public. I was a coward.
I don’t respect Snowden at all. Everyone acts like he is some sort of idealist and went into all of this with the idea that the US was as pure as the white driven snow. He wasn’t stupid and he wasn’t naive, either.

We all know that the government has to do some very difficult things in order to protect our society, both at home and abroad. There are some very evil people out there. But what Snowden did do was give his word that he would protect classified material, and he didn’t do it. His word is nothing in my book.

All Snowden did was make our enemies stronger and our country weaker. That’s all he has accomplished. He has done nothing else.

Since half the country hates themselves and hates their country, he is some sort of hero to those people.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:57 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,183 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Consider the example of Edward Snowden.

Or Julian Assange.

Although in terms of Assange is not a US citizen and never worked for any US Government Agency or related contractor, and as never in the military.

Assange is a foreign national, residing in another foreign country wanted for supposed hacking.

In terms of Snowden, he was working for the US in an intelligence role, and therefore he did betray his country, even if some believe it was for the right reasons.

Spies and those who leak highly classified intelligence generally receive long prison sentences rather than execution in terms of peacetime although it's different in war time.

It's also worth noting that many countries will not extradite to the US if the person faces execution, as it contravenes Human Rights legislation, whilst other countries won't extradite full stop or won't extradite their own nationals.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:09 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
Not that it is 99% likely to happen, but say a pilot of Air force one leaked all the details of what AFO can do or a secret service agent leaked all the SS protocols, what kind of sentence do you think they would get? Life in prison? Execution?
Depends.

If it is shown that it is against the State then death is a possibility. If it is against an individual and the death of another cannot be shown, then the death penalty is not a possibility and hence life is a good answer.

Remember that in the Federal system, there is no parole.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:30 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:

I know how you feel. I felt the same way after having a few years to browse the operations histories in the CIA library. The US has done a lot of underhanded stuff not for the sake of national security, but for the sake of specific American business interests. And in most cases, those actions eventually backfired...but they keep being done.

Quote:
I don't think Snowden tried as hard as Daniel Ellsberg to do what he did in the most honorable way possible (Daniel Ellsberg sought the support of Congressmen), but I also don't know what the situation looked like to him at the time. In Ellsberg's day...there were a lot more honorable congressmen.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:45 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
You can google the penalties. Anywhere from a few years in jail to life, typically, but leaks of significant magnitude tend to carry 20-30 years at least.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:11 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Chelsea Manning, who the government also paid for him/her sex change and then Obama commuted her sentence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Manning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues