Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2021, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,401 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My name is [mod cut]. I have a blood clotting disorder and want to know what the chances are for getting a waiver and would like anyone’s help in giving me the feedback and support steps in what I need to do. I am currently trying to join Army active duty. I have just come back from the Fort Dix MEPS yesterday evening as well. I have a very mild version of Hemophilia A. The doctor that I had a conversation with there at MEPS said everything was perfect but he did also mention that I would have to submit a waiver for my extremely mild Hemophilia A. He also stated that there were no bruises when he had looked at me and in which I replied that I do not bruise easily. I have been very active and played a lot of sports with 0 issues and have also been in scouting for a long time without the need of any medication. If you have any other further questions please let me know. I would really like to know how I can go about this and if there is anything I should know while beginning this process.

Last edited by volosong; 06-05-2021 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: name deleted to protect his/her privacy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 01:04 PM

37,498 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Can your Hemophilia be controlled with meds?

Old 06-05-2021, 09:40 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,340,831 times
So there are a few details missing.... the first being how you know that you have Hemophilia. This is not routinely tested for, so this tells me that there must have been an incident in your life in which you were bleeding enough to require testing?

That is the kicker for if your waiver will have any chance. How and why did you get diagnosed, and what type of extraordinary treatment was required in that incident.

If you get a gunshot wound on the battlefield, how much harder than the average person will it be to save your life? If you have a car accident in peace time at a remote base without a trauma center, ER, or blood bank, will you be more likely than others to die?

There is a lot to consider, but I would say that you have a very incredibly small chance of getting a waiver. The reason I think that there might be a smallest of small glimmers of hope is because MEPS actually let you come to MEPS and take a medical exam, when they could have disqualified you on paperwork alone. There may be a crack, since they approved you to come in person for the exam.

Have a plan B to military service.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:41 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,340,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Can your Hemophilia be controlled with meds?
That may actually make it worse if medication is needed, because you can't be on meds in Basic Training. If he/she needs meds, 1000% disqualified with no hope of a waiver.

Old 06-06-2021, 04:36 AM

6,159 posts, read 3,380,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
So there are a few details missing.... the first being how you know that you have Hemophilia. This is not routinely tested for, so this tells me that there must have been an incident in your life in which you were bleeding enough to require testing?

That is the kicker for if your waiver will have any chance. How and why did you get diagnosed, and what type of extraordinary treatment was required in that incident.

If you get a gunshot wound on the battlefield, how much harder than the average person will it be to save your life? If you have a car accident in peace time at a remote base without a trauma center, ER, or blood bank, will you be more likely than others to die?

There is a lot to consider, but I would say that you have a very incredibly small chance of getting a waiver. The reason I think that there might be a smallest of small glimmers of hope is because MEPS actually let you come to MEPS and take a medical exam, when they could have disqualified you on paperwork alone. There may be a crack, since they approved you to come in person for the exam.

Have a plan B to military service.
That’s a really great post as I didn’t see the implications of what the condition would actually mean.

I’ve been deployed to some incredibly austere locations and I’ve been stationed at really remote bases. Medical care consisted of basic life saving needs only, and plans for med evac to try to save someone in a dire situation.

I’ve even been at some locations with just a single enlisted med tech, and that was it, nearest hospital hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues