Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 06:15 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times

Advertisements

With Thursday’s press convference, the military was directed to plan on 100% vaccines. This is different than allowing a weekly blood test. With roughly 50% vaccine rates in the military, will there be an exodus if vaccines become required in the military?

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...rtain-79183544

In some units, the Covid quarantine became a way to get 2 weeks free leave. Travelers returned and were sent off (enthusiastically) to covid quarantine. When vaccines came out, many resisted to keep the quarantine option. Another game was fake symptoms, get tested, another quarantine and time off.

But now with mandatory vaccines on the horizon, the free leave game will be ending. The return of smallpox vaccines and anthrax vaccines (it was 5 rounds to be fully vaccinated) were both FDA approved. It seems unlikely that a mass exodus would occur. Does the military publish the number exiting the military (monthly) to identify a post vaccine impact?

On big issues, DOD often sends out surveys, such as healthcare changes, to measure the issue service wide.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:59 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,738,511 times
"Finding the smallpox to be spreading much and fearing that no precaution can prevent it from running through the whole of our army, I have determined that troops shall be inoculated. This expedient may be attended with some inconveniences and some disadvantages, but yet I trust in its consequences will have the most happy effects. Necessity not only authorizes but seems to require the measure, for should the disorder infect the army in the natural way and rage with its virulence we should have more to dread from it than from the sword of the enemy."

General George Washington, letter to John Hancock, President of the Continental Congress, February 5, 1777

Old 07-31-2021, 07:57 AM

14,475 posts, read 14,432,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
With Thursday’s press convference, the military was directed to plan on 100% vaccines. This is different than allowing a weekly blood test. With roughly 50% vaccine rates in the military, will there be an exodus if vaccines become required in the military?

In some units, the Covid quarantine became a way to get 2 weeks free leave. Travelers returned and were sent off (enthusiastically) to covid quarantine. When vaccines came out, many resisted to keep the quarantine option. Another game was fake symptoms, get tested, another quarantine and time off.

But now with mandatory vaccines on the horizon, the free leave game will be ending. The return of smallpox vaccines and anthrax vaccines (it was 5 rounds to be fully vaccinated) were both FDA approved. It seems unlikely that a mass exodus would occur. Does the military publish the number exiting the military (monthly) to identify a post vaccine impact?

On big issues, DOD often sends out surveys, such as healthcare changes, to measure the issue service wide.
The military requires vaccination for almost every disease. It should come as no surprise that Covid vaccination is expected as well. And, please spare me the whining about "Its not approved by the FDA". It is approved subject to EUA or emergency use authorization. It will be fully approved by the end of September.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:08 AM

6,289 posts, read 3,477,299 times
I believe the military vaccination rates are much higher than 50%. My unit is near 100%, and most other units on my base are about the same.

I doubt very seriously we are such an outlier compared to other bases.

Also, out of the hundreds of people I know who received the vaccine, not a single person became ill. There were a few who didn’t feel that great, but they didn’t miss any work.

As far as people playing the virus to get time off, unfortunately, there were some who did do that. Not many, but some. I’m a retired SNCO, and a non-supervisor contractor now, so that type of thing doesn’t concern me nowadays. I’m there to advise and work my programs, not to supervise. But if I was a still a SNCO and I suspected a subordinate of doing that, well, let me just say that there are ways to make someone wish they’d never even thought of doing that.

Anyway I write all this not because I’m a fan of the current administration (I certainly am not), but because I don’t see this as a big deal, and if Biden/Austin, etc. mandate the Covid vaccine, I’ll support that decision.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The military requires vaccination for almost every disease. It should come as no surprise that Covid vaccination is expected as well. And, please spare me the whining about "Its not approved by the FDA". It is approved subject to EUA or emergency use authorization. It will be fully approved by the end of September.
Which of the three vendors will be getting approval from the FDA? FDA approval is just a rubber stamp? Even the Anthrax vaccines had FDA appprval. If such a low bar, why isn’t at least one not yet approved?

Old 07-31-2021, 11:56 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,447,726 times
FDA approval is basically a rubber stamp. All it does is review what the manufacturers reviews are, they do not do any testing themselves. It is basically a review of what a company says, and saying I agree or disagree.

I think the gov should be asking itself why so much distrust of the gov and companies, than try to shove stuff on people via threats and actual negative consequences. If half your military is not trusting this, maybe time for some reflection...

Old 08-01-2021, 07:03 AM

28,715 posts, read 18,929,729 times
Quote:

I don't regard stats on voluntary compliance as particularly indicative of anything. Most troops would lag on getting any kind of vaccination, if allowed to lag, particularly since they're in the group least likely to become seriously ill (although I have personal knowledge of some young active duty who have become seriously ill). But lagging when lagging is allowed is natural.

Most service members can't just "up and quit," and leaving service in protest at the end of their obligations weeks and months and years after having had the vaccination is unlikely.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:36 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,219,333 times
Quote:

First a disclaimer:

I am not military, but do work on a military base as a government employee.

We are now required to mask having been vaccinated or not.

We could also have to get vaccinated under the Presidents plan. We civilians get two weeks off if we report close contact to someone that has Covid-19. There is nothing required to provide proof and it is a little disheartening to see some of our coworkers that have taken this free time off as much as four to five times without ever contracting COVID.

Personally I received the vaccine and while I believe this is a personal choice there needs to be a line drawn in the sand for all these people taking the free leave multiple times.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:00 AM

19,175 posts, read 27,805,730 times
Quote:
Which of the three vendors will be getting approval from the FDA? FDA approval is just a rubber stamp? Even the Anthrax vaccines had FDA appprval. If such a low bar, why isn’t at least one not yet approved?

Pfizer complete study what = formal licensing for distribution as, actual, vaccine (until then, it's biological material, mislabeled as vaccine) is 2023. Easy look up on Pfizer and FDA sites. Doubt not, other big players are same. This allows them to, actually, COMPLETE full required testing and studies for formal approval and licensed distribution. Again, don't be lazy, it's easy look up on Pfizer and FDA. FDA emergency release paper has EXPERIMENTAL written all over it and with big disclaimer at the head of every page. Don't listen to bloggers, just spend about 20 min on FDA site and Pfizer, I'm not your babysitter. This is why Pfizer is collecting results from inoculations in vivo, to comply with requirements for licensing. In vivo means - all vaccinated. Live subjects.

Entire world COVID strategy program is until 2025.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Pfizer complete study what = formal licensing for distribution as, actual, vaccine (until then, it's biological material, mislabeled as vaccine) is 2023. Easy look up on Pfizer and FDA sites. Doubt not, other big players are same. This allows them to, actually, COMPLETE full required testing and studies for formal approval and licensed distribution. Again, don't be lazy, it's easy look up on Pfizer and FDA. FDA emergency release paper has EXPERIMENTAL written all over it and with big disclaimer at the head of every page. Don't listen to bloggers, just spend about 20 min on FDA site and Pfizer, I'm not your babysitter. This is why Pfizer is collecting results from inoculations in vivo, to comply with requirements for licensing. In vivo means - all vaccinated. Live subjects.

Entire world COVID strategy program is until 2025.
2025 endgame is a few years away. Well will even have another Presidential election before then. Looks like Johnson and Johnson is in no hurry to submit for FDA approval; they haven’t started. The hang ups is too many adverse reactions (and yes, deaths) which need to be analyzed. So with three vaccines available, and only one to potentially be approved by the end of 2022 is cautious optimism. But the vaccine manufacturers are “all working” on FDA approval…

https://www.poynter.org/fact-checkin...-fda-approval/

Certainly would be a first if the government required experimental authorizations. Think of the pushback when drug testing for welfare was pushed. If testing becomes so widely available at government facilities for weekly or daily use, couldn’t we put these testing stations along the border?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues