Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 01:12 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times

Advertisements

This sounds is a bit like having homes in two or more U.S. states. Everyone wants a bite out of your wallet.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ed-leader.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 07:03 AM

1,069 posts, read 747,009 times
And I thought California was bad regarding income state income taxes and military personnel that claimed out of state residence and were married to a California resident.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:33 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
This sounds is a bit like having homes in two or more U.S. states. Everyone wants a bite out of your wallet.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ed-leader.html
The German Government should put a stop to this, as it's penalising NATO forces.

US Visiting Forces in the UK are exempt from most taxes including council taxes (Local), Income Tax (National) and even VAT on goods and services.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The German Government should put a stop to this, as it's penalising NATO forces.

US Visiting Forces in the UK are exempt from most taxes including council taxes (Local), Income Tax (National) and even VAT on goods and services.
It seems like it could be handled pretty easily if the right people were paying attention. I don't have much confidence that the current U.S. administration really cares about the welfare of U.S. military personnel stationed abroad. Given the sword rattling going on the Kremlin Germany needs the U.S. far more than we need them.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:36 AM

5,766 posts, read 11,381,748 times
I think one needs to put this topic into perspective and know that it does not affect a large number of US service members. I was living in Germany up until September 2021, and have a total of 6 years of residence living there as a US citizen. Sure, 4 of those years were in the 1970s when I was in the US Army, which was a long time ago. Two of the past 4 years I have been in Germany.

The US military personnel that are most likely to get tangled up with the German Finanzamt (tax collection agency) are married to a German citizen - and typically many are property owners too (i.e. of their own homes, outside the military base). In that case, they are both registered with the local civilian authorities as the residents of that house, and that info gets passed onto Finanzamt. If the German citizen spouse is working in Germany, of course he / she would be required to pay taxes on that income in Germany. The name of the US citizen spouse would also be listed on the tax form. That is how the Finanzamt starts to become interested in the income of the entire household.

Let's say the German citizen spouse has maintained their German public health insurance coverage - yet another reason for the Finanzamt to want to collect taxes on that household. Let's say they have a few kids too, who happen to be German citizens and are covered under the German public health insurance - no wonder the Finanzamt might be interested in collecting some taxes from this couple. And let's say those kids also attend public school in Germany, which also sets off flags to the tax collectors that say this entire household are essentially permanent residents of Germany.

This is NOT a new issue - there are many cases where US military personnel have essentially become permanent residents in Germany through marriage, children and property ownership. If their families are using many of the German government-provided services (health care, education, subsidized transportation, etc) it is not a surprise the tax authorities are out to collect.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I think one needs to put this topic into perspective and know that it does not affect a large number of US service members. I was living in Germany up until September 2021, and have a total of 6 years of residence living there as a US citizen. Sure, 4 of those years were in the 1970s when I was in the US Army, which was a long time ago. Two of the past 4 years I have been in Germany.

The US military personnel that are most likely to get tangled up with the German Finanzamt (tax collection agency) are married to a German citizen - and typically many are property owners too (i.e. of their own homes, outside the military base). In that case, they are both registered with the local civilian authorities as the residents of that house, and that info gets passed onto Finanzamt. If the German citizen spouse is working in Germany, of course he / she would be required to pay taxes on that income in Germany. The name of the US citizen spouse would also be listed on the tax form. That is how the Finanzamt starts to become interested in the income of the entire household.

Let's say the German citizen spouse has maintained their German public health insurance coverage - yet another reason for the Finanzamt to want to collect taxes on that household. Let's say they have a few kids too, who happen to be German citizens and are covered under the German public health insurance - no wonder the Finanzamt might be interested in collecting some taxes from this couple. And let's say those kids also attend public school in Germany, which also sets off flags to the tax collectors that say this entire household are essentially permanent residents of Germany.

This is NOT a new issue - there are many cases where US military personnel have essentially become permanent residents in Germany through marriage, children and property ownership. If their families are using many of the German government-provided services (health care, education, subsidized transportation, etc) it is not a surprise the tax authorities are out to collect.
Did you bother to read the article? Germany is in violation of the Status of Forces Agreement that exempts U.S. military personnel from being taxed by the country that they're stationed in. If they're married to a German national then by law only that spouse should be subject to German taxes. If they own property in Germany I can understand that being subject to property taxes but their military income should remain exempt. Why is this only a problem in Germany and not in other NATO nations like the U.K., Italy or Spain? Or across the globe in Japan? The article states;

"For more than a year, the U.S. military in Europe and the American embassy in Berlin have made no tangible progress on resolving a dispute that has forced some to pay six-figure amounts in German income taxes and penalties, even after they've had their military income taxed by the United States. At issue is a disagreement over how to interpret the Status of Forces Agreement, which is designed to put military pay off limits to foreign tax collectors.

Military community members say they have been told by authorities that they were identified because they married a German, owned property or even extended their tours. To avoid being taxed, a person must prove a "willingness" to return to the U.S. But tax authorities have continued to pursue service members even after they've returned. Germany is the only country where U.S. forces face these financial risks, which also can involve finance offices imposing extra penalties for access to on-base "privileges" such as commissary shopping, cheaper gas, gym use and access to Defense Department schools for their children. Bass said she was surprised by the sheer volume of pleas from people asking her for help. But it also showed "the magnitude of what potentially is out there," she said. "I think what hasn't been presented to me is how many of our Americans have been impacted by this, and then how many of them are United States Air Force," she said. "That's pretty important information to know."

It's an insignificant problem unless your the one being targeted by the German government for taxes. The time has probably come for the U.S. to leave Germany and let them deal with the Russians. Considering how quickly the Imbecile in Chief got us out of Afghanistan we could be out of Germany in no time.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:51 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
Germany has very specific rules regarding home ownership. By their tax laws, once you own property, you are a taxpayer.

Anyway, it's way past time to get US forces out of Germany and move them to Poland.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:15 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
and move them to Poland.
Please. Not Poland.

"In recent years, racist, anti-immigrant and antiliberal rhetoric at the march has blended with Christian slogans in a peculiar hybrid of militant aesthetics and patriotic sentiments." LINK

Old 12-12-2021, 06:43 PM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Please. Not Poland.

"In recent years, racist, anti-immigrant and antiliberal rhetoric at the march has blended with Christian slogans in a peculiar hybrid of militant aesthetics and patriotic sentiments." LINK
I think Germany has its fair share of that, too, to be fair

All other things equal, I'll go for the country that is going to cost the US the least amount of money to keep our troops there.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:02 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Please. Not Poland.

Germany has quite a bit of the same thing and still costs the US billions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues