Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2022, 06:18 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,106,966 times

Advertisements

Larger bonuses, shorter enlistments and picking first duty stations are all options for those thinking of entering the military.

https://recruiting.army.mil/News/Art...nt-incentives/

$10,000 for new enlistments to airborne positions, $20k for ranger pursuits, and the max is reserved for the longer, 6 year enlistments. It’s encouraging for the Army to take quick action to stay in the pool of possibilities for competitive recruits. The selection of duty stations is one of the firsts here. Sure there are strings but it’s being advertised as a possibility. Also the return of the 2- year enlistments. A high number of jobs, 84, have an option for a quick 24 month initial enlistment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 06:48 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Good for them.

I was only ever able to get $65,000 to re-enlist every four years. When I retired in 2001, that year they bumped the re-enlistment cap to $90,000. Imagine $90,000 every four years of your career.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:40 AM

532 posts, read 447,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Good for them.

I was only ever able to get $65,000 to re-enlist every four years. When I retired in 2001, that year they bumped the re-enlistment cap to $90,000. Imagine $90,000 every four years of your career.
65k! Nice!

I re-enlisted twice in the Marines for about 35k each time. The 2nd one was for 6 years. About a year after that an injury and a poor eval left me at a terminal rank (no more promotions) with 10 years in.
Around 1990 there was an early out program with a cash payment and I eagerly jumped on it. They recouped my bonus from that.
I went back to school on the GI bill, got a waiver for the old injury and commissioned in the Army. My final out payment from 1992 was recouped from my Army retirement pay in 2013.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:13 PM

7,493 posts, read 6,276,099 times
Boy, times have changed. When I was discharged in late 1959, if I remember correctly, if I had reenlisted for 6 years, I would have got 6 months pay. I think I was making about 240 per month as an E5 drawing P1 pay.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:51 AM

17,639 posts, read 17,743,919 times
Wonder if they have a break down on bonuses according to MOS? Saw this story before and that “up to” quote tells me that high dollar number is for specific fields that are hard to fill and if you don’t make the cut then your bonus is reduced greatly.

Old 01-24-2022, 11:39 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Wonder if they have a break down on bonuses according to MOS? Saw this story before and that “up to” quote tells me that high dollar number is for specific fields that are hard to fill and if you don’t make the cut then your bonus is reduced greatly.
That's always the way it is.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:46 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
In the US Navy SRB [Selective Re-enlistment Bonuses] are always NEC specific.

During the Clinton administration, he had us go through a huge drawdown process. I remember sitting in an auditorium where they were explaining to us which rates were being offered cash to get out. There was a negotiation process also for guys over 15 years to get a partial pension, and I seem to remember a cash bonus of around $30,000 to leave Active Duty.

I remember on the same day as when I attended that briefing I later went by the Career Counselors office and I checked on my SRB creo grouping, they were offering me significantly more to re-enlist.

I thought it is kind of funny. That they were offering a cash bonus for any of us to get out, and at the same time offering some of us a much larger cash bonus to stay in.

At that point I had already decided to stay for 20 and to get my pension.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:53 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:

During the Clinton administration, he had us go through a huge drawdown process. I remember sitting in an auditorium where they were explaining to us which rates were being offered cash to get out. There was a negotiation process also for guys over 15 years to get a partial pension, and I seem to remember a cash bonus of around $30,000 to leave Active Duty.

I remember on the same day as when I attended that briefing I later went by the Career Counselors office and I checked on my SRB creo grouping, they were offering me significantly more to re-enlist.

I thought it is kind of funny. That they were offering a cash bonus for any of us to get out, and at the same time offering some of us a much larger cash bonus to stay in.

That slaughtered my unit at the time. The quirk about the Air Force was that Air Force military life was fairly comfortable, which meant the retention rates were high, which meant promotions were slow. So, 15-year E-5s were pretty common in the Air Force. They made up the bulk of the real workforce, the bulk of our OJT trainers.

So when those folk were offered retirements, that cut through us like a scythe. A lot of units, including mine, were left with trainees and supervisors.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:37 PM

17,639 posts, read 17,743,919 times
Quote:

I was in the Navy during that time (1990-1998). At one point we had to go ship to ship begging for spare parts to get the ship ready for deployment. Quite a few took the early out.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:34 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,989,030 times
Well, becoming a paratrooper, or ranger is not easy. Most will wash out. Or is this bonus just for trying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues