Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 08:49 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a college degree. I'm not really happy with my current job. Grad school isn't for me.

I just turned 30, but I don't have any major health problems and work out regularly.

My only question is where I could do my monthly training at. I live near an airforce base and wondering if I work with a recruiter if I could do my time at that base and work towards a job at that base as well? I have no problem as a reserve if I get deployed.

Or is my monthly training only at the reserve base? I thought maybe the two week annual training is at the reserve base.

Thank you,

the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 08:50 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
It is going to depend on where the reserve base is and what your job is going to be. The best one to ask is your local recruiter.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:32 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
I work as a civilian for a Reserve unit. Yes, monthly UTAs (Unit Training Assemblies) are done at the base. In fact, it's going on (sort of) right now, although this one got a pass due to the DFW-area roads being mostly unusable. UTAs are done at the base so essential training is accomplished and documented.

There IS a program called Individual Mobilization Augmentee but that is usually a senior enlisted or officer billet, because the person in the IMA slot has skills and a job code (AFSC in USAF, MOS in Army/Marines) in demand. They often telework or are assigned to a unit close to them.

The two-week AT is often done at the base but there are often ATs done away, even part of deployments such as Red Flag or Maple Flag exercises.

Talk to a recruiter, they'll let you know better than anyone on a forum can.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:08 AM

Thanks all! Seeing my recruiter next week.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:24 PM

Finally spoke to my recruiter. He said my local airforce base doesn't have a huge reserves section and said they want people really good in engineering and IT. I said well my specialty in college was more business. He said the reserves for my local base wouldn't work. He said I always try to use the reserve experience to get a civilian job, but I said I could do that now. So I'm still trying to decide what to do.

There's the national guard around here, but they don't interest me like the airforce does.

Old 02-05-2022, 03:37 PM

363 posts, read 350,163 times
is he a reserve recruiter, or an active duty recruiter?

Old 02-05-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
is he a reserve recruiter, or an active duty recruiter?
Yes he's a reserve recruiter. I just got off the phone with air national guard. They were definitely more open, but said to become an officer or even full-time in Air National Guard is selective and competitive and like the reserves said that active-duty get preference.

I feel like both pressure people to just do active duty. He did say I could start part-time in ANG and work my way up. And in the mean time, it would also open more doors to civilian jobs.

Old 02-05-2022, 05:32 PM

363 posts, read 350,163 times
I assumed you were looking for a part-timer enlisted position.

that's what you should look into.

Old 02-05-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
I assumed you were looking for a part-timer enlisted position.

that's what you should look into.
Yeah that's what I'm told. I'm wondering how is that going to help me get a full-time position in the future, civilian on base or full-time in air national guard?

Sorry if I sound grumpy. It's been a rough day.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:56 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
The Reserve Component (RC) prefers already-trained personnel because they don't have to be trained and start out at lower responsibility levels, especially for maintenance. An E-5 or E-6 who's been through 7-level schools already is much more useful to am RC unit than someone right out of high school or college, that person san do the work demanded of an RC unit which typically is manned at a significantly lower level than an AD unit.

Very rarely does one go straight into an officer or full-time job as a Guardsman or Reservist. Since historically an RC member is staying in that unit for a long time, the unit wants to see what they're getting and the easiest way is to groom that individual from the bottom up. My niece joined an Army NG unit last year with the intention of going full-time and then officer school. I was surprised she made it through Basic, and now the unit's already stated they won't re-enlist her, so the process must be working.

Active duty USAF is definitely looking for qualified candidates. There is a regular poster here, DMarie123, look her up, she's a USAF recruiter (AD).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues