Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 10:30 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,132,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
About time, every PT test I did I was "taped" and always passed (5'10, 210 lbs) and damn near maxed the PT test every time. And BTW, my max weight by that stupid scale was 180 lbs.....not a chance...never.

Our test pilot was around 5'5 and 260 lbs (professional body builder) and of course he was "taped" every time also.
DH was taped for every single PT test including OSUT for 23 years. He was 6' and 220 (he grew up in husky hell and passed it on to our sons) and had played baseball,football and was a wrestler.

Up until he broke his neck he maxed the PT test - after he went back to duty he always passed with a fairly high score, but never again maxed a test.

It was a really good thing his neck was 18 1/2 inches, so he never failed the tape test; especially since he lost an inch after his broken neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 12:10 PM

2,288 posts, read 1,591,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I don't know the army fitness test score (I'm prior Air Force) but I do know fat people will be fat and skinny people will be skinny, a test isn't going to change that.

The threat of being kicked out didn't change that either. The AF still had a fat problem.
I remember one of my SSGT's having a gut. one of out 15 people in the squad. My roomie was out of shape but not overweight like teens today. I was one of the few in the military on a fitness mission. At the gym and the courts when off duty. I can only imagine how it is now

The exception is if their specialty in the army is not on the front lines. If they're in the military and their specialty is in Admin they won't be running as much as an airmen/airwomen on the flightline or sniper.

23 minutes for a two-mile run is pretty bad. I can do 18 minutes being out of shape and over 50 and probably jog for half of it.

Seems like each decade we're more obese and the laughed at by foreigners. All this processed food, sugar, bread and sedentary lifestyle.

In many aspects of American life our standards have lowered from our physiques to magazine models to what's pretty and very attractive, and TV news hosts.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:23 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,360,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
23 minutes for a two-mile run is pretty bad. I can do 18 minutes being out of shape and over 50 and probably run half of it.
To fully understand, run an experiment on yourself:

On day 1, run 2 miles.

On day 2, within 2 hours and at least 10 minutes between events:

-Deadlift 3 reps, same weight, using a hex bar
-fling a 10 pound ball behind you for distance, twice
-do max pushups in 2 minutes (use t-form hand release)
-on a 25 meter course, sprint down and back, drag a 90 pound sled down and back, do laterals down and back, carry 40 pounds in each hand down and back, and sprint down and back, for lowest time
-Hold a plank for as long as possible
-NOW run 2 miles

The second 2 miles will be much slower. You will probably find you added 3-4 minutes to your time, particularly if you don’t practice the deadlifts or sprint/drag/carry.

The new test is a full body test and it’s much more involved, but also much better thought out, than the old one.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:09 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,113,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
To fully understand, run an experiment on yourself:

On day 1, run 2 miles.

On day 2, within 2 hours and at least 10 minutes between events:

-Deadlift 3 reps, same weight, using a hex bar
-fling a 10 pound ball behind you for distance, twice
-do max pushups in 2 minutes (use t-form hand release)
-on a 25 meter course, sprint down and back, drag a 90 pound sled down and back, do laterals down and back, carry 40 pounds in each hand down and back, and sprint down and back, for lowest time
-Hold a plank for as long as possible
-NOW run 2 miles

The second 2 miles will be much slower. You will probably find you added 3-4 minutes to your time, particularly if you don’t practice the deadlifts or sprint/drag/carry.

The new test is a full body test and it’s much more involved, but also much better thought out, than the old one.
You can’t be real. It’s only 10 push-ups to pass (for men!!) with 60 points. Passing plank is only 1:30 (again, for men). Deadlift is only 140lbs (for men) for the minimum passing scores of 60 points.

Even bill Murray in Stripes did five push-ups before he joined.
https://blog.mwstrength.com/goodbad-...rays-push-ups/

Old 03-21-2023, 12:30 AM

5,052 posts, read 6,360,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
You can’t be real. It’s only 10 push-ups to pass (for men!!) with 60 points. Passing plank is only 1:30 (again, for men). Deadlift is only 140lbs (for men) for the minimum passing scores of 60 points.

Even bill Murray in Stripes did five push-ups before he joined.
https://blog.mwstrength.com/goodbad-...rays-push-ups/
What’s the max? What’s 80 percent? Pick any age group you’d like, but post all 6 events. Now for kicks, what would the old test equivalents have been?

Anyone who can max it is a beast. 80 points or more across all 6 is solid athleticism.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:08 AM

24,729 posts, read 9,529,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Seems like each decade we're more obese and the laughed at by foreigners. All this processed food, sugar, bread and sedentary lifestyle.
Yup, it's been a huge problem in the military for decades. How do these people graduate basic training? I have no I idea.

Obviously the military is a reflection of American society, but being in shape (to the military's standard) is part of your contractual agreement.

In the AF we ran 1.5 miles in about 12 minutes or less, they give you 6 months to prepare for this test (or 12 months if your last test was above a 90) and people still failed. 3-4 weeks of running, that's all it took to prepare for this test, in my opinion.

But as you said, just too many lazy people out there.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:14 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,264,700 times
Wow. I walk 4-6 miles a day, and it's 19.5 to 22 minutes a mile. I saunder when I walk too, lol.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:29 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,854,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
What’s the max? What’s 80 percent? Pick any age group you’d like, but post all 6 events. Now for kicks, what would the old test equivalents have been?

Anyone who can max it is a beast. 80 points or more across all 6 is solid athleticism.
Don't have to max it, though. Just have to pass it.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:19 AM

4,905 posts, read 3,327,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I don't know the army fitness test score (I'm prior Air Force) but I do know fat people will be fat and skinny people will be skinny, a test isn't going to change that.

The threat of being kicked out didn't change that either. The AF still had a fat problem.

Max weight at 6'1 when I joined the AF in 1979 was 203, I believe. At at 19 years old, I was right there. At some point along the way a few years later it went up to 211, and I had to pay attention to stay there. I remember weighing something under 200lbs... maybe 195... during a leadership school. I have a picture from then and it looks like I'm sick!

Never have made a point to do anything in the way of exercise 'on purpose'... just stayed reasonably active. Up until a few years ago I could legitimately carry 240 and not look fat.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:38 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 1 day ago)

5,735 posts, read 4,724,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Don't have to max it, though. Just have to pass it.
But you need 80 in each event to skip the height and weight requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues