Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 03:55 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Not sure about OKC, but B'ham for me, absolutely sucks from the time where you have to park your car, get into a VA bus, take care of business then get back into a VA bus back to your car. One of the worst VA's I'v been to.

I won't even go to the recently new VA in Huntsville, AL due to friends telling me not to go. I go to the Nashville VA right next to Vanderbilt.
How do you have VA coverage and get to randomly switch regions? Nashville is in a different region than Birmingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 04:17 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
How do you have VA coverage and get to randomly switch regions? Nashville is in a different region than Birmingham.
I honestly have no clue, other than I do not have a Primary Care provider through the VA.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Not sure about OKC, but B'ham for me, absolutely sucks from the time where you have to park your car, get into a VA bus, take care of business then get back into a VA bus back to your car. One of the worst VA's I'v been to.

I won't even go to the recently new VA in Huntsville, AL due to friends telling me not to go. I go to the Nashville VA right next to Vanderbilt.
The 1/2 mile walk from the new remote Birmingham parking lot to the VA relaxing and it’s faster than the bus because it loads a dozen wheelchairs. The hospital is dated but the amount of youth in doctors puts a high level of energy along with the enthusiastic chaperones. Never a long wait either.

A plug for the Huntsville VA in that they have the best audiology dept.; very professional, even compared to Walter reed. Sonograms are fast and minimal wait times. For labs, best service with friendly staff (jokes too) and speedy. Where are the grey areas? Even rumored grey areas?

Last edited by johnsonkk; 07-20-2023 at 06:52 PM..

Old 07-20-2023, 06:44 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,361,632 times
"How do you have VA coverage and get to randomly switch regions? "....you just have to ask...I did. The out of state facility was closer for me.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"How do you have VA coverage and get to randomly switch regions? "....you just have to ask...I did. The out of state facility was closer for me.
Thanks. New information. Great that the VA is flexible.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I find the 1/2 mile walk from the new remote Birmingham parking lot to the VA relaxing and it’s faster than the bus because it loads a dozen wheelchairs. The hospital is dated but the amount of youth in doctors puts a high level of energy along with the enthusiastic chaperones. Never a long wait either.
Well, maybe I'll have to check it out again.

Quote:
A plug for the Huntsville VA in that they have the best audiology dept.; very professional, even compared to Walter reed. Sonograms are fast and minimal wait times. For labs, best service with friendly staff (jokes too) and speedy.
So, you've been to the new VA HSV facility?

Quote:
Where are the grey areas? Even rumored grey areas?
Not sure what you are talking about? If I mentioned anything about "grey" areas, I would not know why.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Well, maybe I'll have to check it out again.

So, you've been to the new VA HSV facility?

Yes. Review is first hand.

Not sure what you are talking about? If I mentioned anything about "grey" areas, I would not know why.
Grey was a term of asking, aka insinuation of “what are the problems at HSV VA”?

Old 07-20-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Grey was a term of asking, aka insinuation of “what are the problems at HSV VA”?
Well, they only "grey area" I know of within the military (army?) deals with when you are national guard vs. being called to active duty.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Well, they only "grey area" I know of within the military (army?) deals with when you are national guard vs. being called to active duty.
You’re correct. Using a word which has an actual meaning was confusing. Again, the point was asking what concerns were raised that were so severe to not even visit HSV VA one time?
Friends said what in their experiences?

For this forum, the OP asked what experiences were in getting VA appointments and accessibility vs specific VA treatment centers.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:34 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Latest issue. I had three appointments. First was for lab blood draw. Second was for a phone call for list of prescriptions I’m currently taking, and third was for doctor. Before the appointment with the doctor I received a call the doctor was going to be out and asked for a reschedule date. Made the new appointment. Went for blood draw yesterday. Received the pharmacist call an hour and a half late today. Found out there is no doctor’s appointment anymore. No notification of any kind of the canceling of the appointment. Also found out from the pharmacist that the VA Clinic in my city doesn’t fill prescriptions. The main VA facility is a few hours drive from home and any prescriptions don’t even come from them. They’re mail order from out of state facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues