Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 09:41 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,818,906 times

Advertisements

I always liked the Pensacola area, I wouldnt want to live on the water but the area is the right size for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 04:51 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My favorite place was Gaeta Italy. Hated the ship but loved the city. Small Italian city located roughly half way between Naples to the south and Rome to the north. Friendly people, good food, and good hiking paths. Take a bus to the next city over and you can hop a train to across Italy. Clean beach and good weather in summer. Winter was mild.
I was stationed in Sicily. Loved it and even thought of going there to retire.

Old 07-29-2023, 10:42 AM

8,492 posts, read 6,897,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Favorite.....Saigon/Cho Lon....until the Tet Offensive.
Saigon is now an expat favorite especially in what is now called District One. Favorable cost of living. Plenty of people who speak English. My last time there was September 1969.

Old 08-03-2023, 04:25 PM

779 posts, read 507,272 times
My favorite duty had me stationed on an Army tug at the Deep Water Port of Sattahip, Thailand 1968-70. Great weather, on the coast, nice ocean breeze all the time. Great food, had a hooch in the 'vill, a live-in girlfriend, and plenty of time off. The tug towed a barge to Bangkok twice a month. The Mosquito Bar was right out of a Joseph Conrad novel. I based my first novel, "The Bangkok Blues" on my time there.

Old 08-04-2023, 10:25 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
I was stationed at MacDill and like the Tampa, St Petersburg, and Clearwater area. But after the AF, I moved out west and like the ID, UT, NV states. From all green to all tan. If you want an excellent place to raise a family, I would recommend UT. Sure, the LDS Church has a strong influence in the state, and maybe sometimes too much in some issues, but if you want a safe and family friendly social environment, UT is an excellent state. I used to ride with some guys from Hill AFB and our 'biker gang' regularly ran up/down the ID/UT region.
I lived for over thirty years near HAFB and raised my family there. I'm glad to hear someone sing the praises of the area. Davis County has grown a lot in the last thirty years, but it is still a good place.

Old 08-09-2023, 01:49 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,871,219 times
Charleston SC is nice if you are in the navy or air force
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues