Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2023, 08:23 PM

6,833 posts, read 11,573,384 times

Advertisements

Mr. Dokie is a 100 percent disabled vet and is eligible to shop at PX’s and on the AAFES website. We don’t buy too much there, mostly big ticket items that don’t vary much in price but we get the no sales tax benefit.

My question is, are purchases made there expected to be for the benefit of the veteran (or immediate family) only? AAFES has teamed with Home Depot and we can purchase major appliances via website with a small price discount and no sales tax. My niece is about to remodel her kitchen and is looking to buy a complete suite of appliances. She could easily save hundreds of dollars on sales tax if we could order them for her. I looked on the AAFES website and didn’t see this topic addressed.

I’d love to save her some money but I in no way want to do anything that isn’t allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 09:27 PM

635 posts, read 329,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Mr. Dokie is a 100 percent disabled vet and is eligible to shop at PX’s and on the AAFES website. We don’t buy too much there, mostly big ticket items that don’t vary much in price but we get the no sales tax benefit.

My question is, are purchases made there expected to be for the benefit of the veteran (or immediate family) only? AAFES has teamed with Home Depot and we can purchase major appliances via website with a small price discount and no sales tax. My niece is about to remodel her kitchen and is looking to buy a complete suite of appliances. She could easily save hundreds of dollars on sales tax if we could order them for her. I looked on the AAFES website and didn’t see this topic addressed.

I’d love to save her some money but I in no way want to do anything that isn’t allowed.
I think the intention is that authorized customers are shopping for themselves and their family, but I don't think there is any issue with what you are doing. The only big concern with AAFES facilities is people buying merchandise to sell, which happens at overseas facilities; I remember it occasionally being a thing in Korea when locals who worked on base would go in and buy fragrances or handbags to sell elsewhere.

The Exchange website does say the following, located here: https://www.shopmyexchange.com/custo...ent-to-resell/
Quote:
Notice of Intent to Resell
Exchange patrons are prohibited from the following: (1) Making (or purchasing for the purpose of making) a sale, exchange, transfer, or other disposition of exchange merchandise or services to unauthorized patrons (customary gifts of a personal nature are permissible). (2) Using exchange merchandise or services to produce income. (3) Making purchases for the purpose of resale by, or on behalf of, an installation private organization or other non-government entity.
I think you're fine though. There are things going on out there like people being given money every weekend to go on base and get huge bulk liquor purchases because of the savings. Buying some appliances for someone who actually is a legit family member isn't a blip on anyone's radar, if there even was any AAFES Crime Unit out there looking for policy violations.

Old 08-23-2023, 05:20 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,294,429 times
Sounds good - but sometimes you can find better discounts than 8%.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:16 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
I don't think you can. As noted in post #2, you are transferring property that is not a customary gift. Is anyone going to know, probably not.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:35 AM

I think I’m not going to offer. The more I ponder on it, it just doesn’t feel right.

Old 08-27-2023, 01:24 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,349,061 times
Quote:
I think I’m not going to offer. The more I ponder on it, it just doesn’t feel right.
Hold the phone Mr. Dobie. Or rather, pick up the phone and call your store manager. Give him a hypothetical and see how he reacts. Our Exchanges are struggling. He might see that kind of transaction all the time and welcome the sale. They're usually super nice people. You should definitely ask.

Old 08-27-2023, 01:50 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,101,323 times
Quote:

it depends on how far you have to travel to go to the PX. I haven't found anything any cheaper on the website than you can get from Amazon. Just saying. It helps if there is sales tax involved but travel expenses have to be considered.

Old 08-27-2023, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
it depends on how far you have to travel to go to the PX. I haven't found anything any cheaper on the website than you can get from Amazon. Just saying. It helps if there is sales tax involved but travel expenses have to be considered.
Like I said initially, this is not an in-store purchase, it’s on line with Home Depot who is in partnership with AAFES for major appliances. The prices are somewhat discounted from Home Depot’s regular on-line prices, but the major appeal is the sales tax savings, which around here would probably be about 8% and a nice chunk of change to save on a few thousand dollars of kitchen appliances.

Because I’m not entirely comfortable making a purchase that doesn’t directly benefit my veteran husband, and for some other personal reasons not related to AAFES, I am not going to offer to order these for my niece.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:07 PM

6,457 posts, read 9,832,766 times
I think it would be permitted also.

Before you give up on it, I think you are correct that she can save big bucks with no taxes, and people do give washers and dryers as gifts to family members. Its not an everyday gift but would be a nice wedding or house warming. It would be worth a call and ask.

Eyeliner I think has it correctly said here. You aren't trying to make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues