Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 02:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times

Advertisements

Off base. Most of "natural causes".

https://okcfox.com/renderer/okcfox/a...tions-underway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 02:18 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
https://www.military.com/daily-news/...base-year.html
https://okcfox.com/renderer/okcfox/a...tions-underway

Old 09-24-2023, 02:26 PM

6,093 posts, read 3,334,624 times
Tinker has a massive civilian workforce, quite a few older workers, too. 17 out of a 30,000 base population doesn’t seem like an amazing amount of dead people to me.

I think there are probably a few different factors at play here. Aging civilians, young people on anti-depressants that don’t work, etc.

I’ve read articles where they try to imply toxicity in the ranks is what is causing suicides. I disagree with this wholeheartedly. I think many people don’t like the direction we are going on certain policies, but that absolutely doesn’t equate to people feeling so distraught that they need to kill themselves.

In my experience, suicides mainly occur when an individual has been involved in serious legal trouble, is disgraced, and is about to do a lot of prison time.

Epstein killed himself. Assuming you believe he actually did it, this is what some people do. Not sure why military leadership needs to be blamed when they do all they can to minimize suicide.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:52 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Tinker has a massive civilian workforce, quite a few older workers, too. 17 out of a 30,000 base population doesn’t seem like an amazing amount of dead people to me.

I think there are probably a few different factors at play here. Aging civilians, young people on anti-depressants that don’t work, etc.

I’ve read articles where they try to imply toxicity in the ranks is what is causing suicides. I disagree with this wholeheartedly. I think many people don’t like the direction we are going on certain policies, but that absolutely doesn’t equate to people feeling so distraught that they need to kill themselves.

In my experience, suicides mainly occur when an individual has been involved in serious legal trouble, is disgraced, and is about to do a lot of prison time.

Epstein killed himself. Assuming you believe he actually did it, this is what some people do. Not sure why military leadership needs to be blamed when they do all they can to minimize suicide.
They haven’t listed the causes of death yet. If there were a larger than normal number of suicides connected to the base then there may be a problem with something in the command from E-7 and above. Each case would have to be looked at individually to determine if there’s a possibility the suicide was related to something on base. Other factors could include personal relationship problems, drug and or alcohol abuse, or on base living conditions. What’s the condition of the buildings? Are there lead paint or mold growth from leaks and improper ventilation? Is a particular department or division being pushed harder than normal?

Old 09-25-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
They haven’t listed the causes of death yet. If there were a larger than normal number of suicides connected to the base then there may be a problem with something in the command from E-7 and above. Each case would have to be looked at individually to determine if there’s a possibility the suicide was related to something on base. Other factors could include personal relationship problems, drug and or alcohol abuse, or on base living conditions. What’s the condition of the buildings? Are there lead paint or mold growth from leaks and improper ventilation? Is a particular department or division being pushed harder than normal?
Sure, anything is possible. But until we know for sure, I’m going to think based on my experiences.

Which is older people dying due to poor lifestyle and younger people committing suicide mainly because they got into serious trouble. I’ve spent decades living and working on bases, and that’s what I’ve mainly seen before.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:54 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:

Age 25-34 average death rate per 100k for males\females is roughly 180\80.

Adjusted to 30,000 that would be 54\24.

Now that would be all causes but the 17 doesn't really jump out as exceptional in that light.

P.S. It's higher for older age groups.
https://www.google.com/search?q=deat...client=gws-wiz

Old 09-25-2023, 09:55 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
There is nothing unusual about this.

1. Tinker AFB is located in Oklahoma City
2. Oklahoma City has a very high suicide rate overall
3. Oklahoma has been in the top 5 states for despair 6 times in the last 10 years.
4. Oklahoma state and the city have no meaningful plans to deal with suicide as they refuse to accept it's a problem.

Despite all the positive marketing for Oklahoma and Oklahoma City, many find it a dismal place to live. The base suicide rate amongst the uniformed military personnel is rather low and indicates a rather positive effort on the part of DOD's overall suicide prevention measures.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
There is nothing unusual about this.

1. Tinker AFB is located in Oklahoma City
2. Oklahoma City has a very high suicide rate overall
3. Oklahoma has been in the top 5 states for despair 6 times in the last 10 years.
4. Oklahoma state and the city have no meaningful plans to deal with suicide as they refuse to accept it's a problem.

Despite all the positive marketing for Oklahoma and Oklahoma City, many find it a dismal place to live. The base suicide rate amongst the uniformed military personnel is rather low and indicates a rather positive effort on the part of DOD's overall suicide prevention measures.
I don’t believe most people who are stationed at Tinker, both in uniform and civilian workers, are originally from Oklahoma. So I don’t see the correlation here?

Regardless, Oklahoma is a great place filled with great people. I don’t consider it synonymous with despair at all. You want to know what states I think are filled with despair? California, Illinois, New York.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:39 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Quote:
I don’t believe most people who are stationed at Tinker, both in uniform and civilian workers, are originally from Oklahoma. So I don’t see the correlation here?

Regardless, Oklahoma is a great place filled with great people. I don’t consider it synonymous with despair at all. You want to know what states I think are filled with despair? California, Illinois, New York.
According to all the reports (the CDC recently put out some new statistics) Oklahoma is one of the top locations for people (native born or transplants) to feel despair. I'm assuming from how these reports lay it out, the reason is so much hoopla over how nice it is, how much it has to offer and all the wonderful new opportunities when in reality, it's nowhere close to the hype. It's not just OK, as DOD expressed wide concerns over the suicide rate amongst military members and their family in places like Wyoming and Montana. In the end, these top locations for military depression centers on facilities (regardless of size of the locale) is they are just plain old blah.

Old 09-26-2023, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
According to all the reports (the CDC recently put out some new statistics) Oklahoma is one of the top locations for people (native born or transplants) to feel despair. I'm assuming from how these reports lay it out, the reason is so much hoopla over how nice it is, how much it has to offer and all the wonderful new opportunities when in reality, it's nowhere close to the hype. It's not just OK, as DOD expressed wide concerns over the suicide rate amongst military members and their family in places like Wyoming and Montana. In the end, these top locations for military depression centers on facilities (regardless of size of the locale) is they are just plain old blah.
I’m certain that the CDC is a biased organization, just like all the rest. So if they are telling me that Oklahoma is a bad place, which is a place I know very well and don’t agree with that assessment, it makes me skeptical and wonder what their true agenda actually is?

But as a guy who has spent decades living at bases in some pretty austere locations, I’ve come to the conclusion that the military isn’t for everyone.

My first duty station was in Denver, CO. It was amazing. My second duty station was in Minot, North Dakota, and that was a shock to the system, to say the least. You either adapt or fail. The winters there were horrific, especially if you were out on the flightline every single day.

I took it as a challenge. I got up every morning at 0500, unplugged the block heater on my car, and got after it every single day.

If you are weak minded, you won’t last, and it’s probably best you find a different line of work anyway.

FE Warren, Malmstrom, Mountain Home, bases like that, I would’ve traded for them in a heartbeat over Minot.

I was also recently in Rapid City, SD and visited Ellsworth. I was surprised that the base didn’t really have much, as far as facilities go. That wouldn’t be an easy assignment in the winter, on the flightline, either.

But my main point is that Tinker, located in OKC, is so much better than many of the USAF duty stations.

Lastly, if you are wanting to kill yourself based on your location, that’s a “you” problem. But I get it. In today’s USA, it’s never the individual’s fault, it’s always someone else’s fault as to why someone is unhappy, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues