Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2023, 10:09 AM

334 posts, read 182,094 times

Advertisements

Requested and received a "Notice of Seperation" (DD214) for my USN WWII era Father which basically shows enlistment/separation dates and places along with a report of active/reserved status during his enlistment.

I am interested in also finding a list of duty stations and possible theater actions taken part of. I believe he may have been involved in the landing at Anzio as was my FIL, who was in the 1st wave of landings. Often wondered if the two crossed paths and interested in researching more.

Got this info the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Would be willing to travel there if it may yield additional info.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2023, 09:00 PM

165 posts, read 147,056 times
There was a big fire at the center in 1973. The records you're looking for may be gone. My WW2 vet dad was looking for his records back around then and found his records had burned.

Old 10-08-2023, 08:32 AM

5,211 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbp View Post
There was a big fire at the center in 1973. The records you're looking for may be gone. My WW2 vet dad was looking for his records back around then and found his records had burned.
My dad enlisted as a marine and somehow became a pilot during WW II. He has long since passed and he would never talk about his time in the Pacific during the war. Both his sisters preceded his passing so with no other family members I submitted for his records and none were to be found.

If there were any other avenues I would love to know.

Old 10-08-2023, 10:28 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
My husband was in the military (Navy) and when he was diagnosed with cancer he had to prove he was "boots on the ground in Hanoi." He went to the National Archives in DC and was able to get the information he needed.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mi...ervice-records

Old 10-10-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbp View Post
I became aware of the fire while researching this but believe that the Navy records were mostly unaffected.

https://apnews.com/article/military-...U.S.%20history.

Some files were lost from every branch of the service. But Army and Air Force records suffered most.

The flames consumed 80% of Army personnel files for people discharged between Nov. 1, 1912, and Jan. 1, 1960. For the Air Force, it’s estimated that files for 75% of personnel discharged from Sept. 25, 1947, through Jan. 1, 1964, with names that began after “Hubbard, James,” were lost.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
I have found, that when trying to find information on a specific deployment, operation or event up to and including the Vietnam War, often the only resources are the associations and historical groups focusing on specific events and operations. It may mean following bread crumbs until you find what you need or have enough pieces to see a picture from the puzzle pieces.

Old 10-16-2023, 11:34 AM

900 posts, read 686,016 times
I found some muster rolls for Camp LeJeune on Ancestry--they probably have more than that there.

Old 10-18-2023, 11:08 AM

I did end up hearing back from the Nat'l Archives Office in St. Louis who sent me several pages of documents one of which looks like a DD214 but older. Also a comprehensive list of his active/reserve duty status by year and relevant entry and exit dates which should aid in tracking down where he was located during WWII.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues