Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 11:33 AM

901 posts, read 688,316 times

Advertisements

I just sent off for a burial flag for my father. He served in WWII and was at Guadacanal, among other places.
How long do you think it will take--he died in 2021 but I am burying his ashes now, and it bothered me that he did not get a flag and a letter from the President because no one did anything about it.

He served in the Marines, and I found out later going through his papers he was in Naval Reserves--something I did not even know. He was quiet about his service.

I did find his letter from Truman, so it would be nice to have one from the current President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 01:41 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
I just sent off for a burial flag for my father. He served in WWII and was at Guadacanal, among other places.
How long do you think it will take--he died in 2021 but I am burying his ashes now, and it bothered me that he did not get a flag and a letter from the President because no one did anything about it.

He served in the Marines, and I found out later going through his papers he was in Naval Reserves--something I did not even know. He was quiet about his service.

I did find his letter from Truman, so it would be nice to have one from the current President.
I am not sure who you sent the request off to. It might be a bit quicker if you contacted your US House of Representative.

Old 10-16-2023, 02:11 PM

1,944 posts, read 923,471 times
Quote:
When my father died, the funeral home did all the homework and they arranged for a gun salute at the site of his burial, where we set his ashes. They gave me the flag and the bullets. Maybe you could talk to them.

Old 10-16-2023, 04:38 PM

Thank you both! I got the form from the VA website, and sent the materials to prove service and death to Wisconsin.

Yes, I wish now I had gone through the funeral home, but my brother was dealing with that, and he did not.
I have my uncle's flag from his burial in Normandy; I found that cleaning out my dad's house. He died in August, 1944 and my father enlisted December 7, 1944 while still in highschool. He was 16 but falsified his birth certificate.

Old 10-16-2023, 05:33 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,021,767 times
The current timeframe to receive a PMC is anywhere from 30 days to 120 days. It all depends on caseload, verification of documentation, and request initiator. National Cemetery or Military base cemetery request have priority. Many State Veteran cemeteries can also get a jump in the line. Filling out the form at a VA office can speed things up simply as they should/may have all the documentation needed and can expedite the verification. Beyond that, all other request, family, funeral homes, other relatives are all processed the same.

As for the flag, the same applies except many funeral homes keep their own stack on hand for these types of services and just gives you theirs instead of waiting for some "official" flag to show up. Since these are slightly longer (casket flags are about 5 X 9) they may have both the unfurled ones (cover) as well as the prefolded triangles (presentation).

Last edited by Rabrrita; 10-16-2023 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-16-2023, 06:22 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,560,413 times
Yeah, when my dad died, the funeral home took care of it all. But if you want an extra flag, you can request it from your US Representative. My son ordered one from me, since my ex kept the one I was given by my parents. You'll get a certificate with it telling you what day it flew over the US Capitol building.

Old 10-17-2023, 05:54 AM

Thank you! If I do not hear back within three months, I will contact my Representative. Thank you, Rabrrita, with the information about the process!

Old 10-17-2023, 05:59 AM

45,452 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Thank you! If I do not hear back within three months, I will contact my Representative. Thank you, Rabrrita, with the information about the process!

You might want to check with your local Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) or American Legion. I found, when there was an issue with the flag holder at my father's grave (it was gone-stolen or appropriated, I don't know) the local Legion expedited getting a new one placed (like within a week).

Old 10-17-2023, 09:23 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,917,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You might want to check with your local Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) or American Legion. I found, when there was an issue with the flag holder at my father's grave (it was gone-stolen or appropriated, I don't know) the local Legion expedited getting a new one placed (like within a week).
The VFW may have one on hand as the accept flags when no one wants to keep them anymore.

You can also buy them on eBay, new or used, with quick delivery.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+flag&_sacat=0

Old 10-17-2023, 10:03 AM

Thank you, good suggestions, both! I had not thought about the VFW and know where there is one near us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues