Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2024, 07:01 AM

6,482 posts, read 9,864,849 times

Advertisements

Me and my sister were talking about this last night. My favorite is my Humanitarian Service Award, to me it is the best looking one and proud of what we did after hurrican Hugo to help people.

Hers is her Antarctic Service Medal because it is not available to everyone(she was medical). She likes to feel special lol

Whats yours and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2024, 09:43 AM

7,499 posts, read 6,301,149 times
Only received two, KDSM and Sharpshooter.
According to WIKI, with the KDSM, I can now join the American Legion and VFW.

Old 05-16-2024, 10:53 AM

14,287 posts, read 14,848,426 times
My Honorable Discharge. Actually being Submarine Qualified.

Old 05-20-2024, 02:37 PM

2,429 posts, read 1,554,951 times
Not a true award, but I'm rocking a worn out DD-214 that I got last century. Now if I could just figure out where I put that thing.

Old 05-21-2024, 12:45 PM

17,669 posts, read 17,857,953 times
I have a letter of commendation for my time as the engine room DCPO on the USS LaSalle AGF3 in the mid90s. DCPO is damage control petty officer. Each division assigned a person to inspect, maintain, and repair all the firefighting equipment, emergency lighting, as well as water tight doors, hatches, and scuttles in all of their division’s spaces. During major inspections, extra close attention to these equipment is made in certain departments which included engineering and aviation. None of my equipment failed inspection. When I had taken over the job I found horrors including a failed extinguisher on the boiler flats that was pulled out when lighting fires in the boilers. If a fire needed to be extinguished then this was the extinguisher they would try to use. The CO2 cartridge had been punctured, PKP was now rock hard, and all CO2 had bled out. I found some emergency lanterns dead for so long that the batteries crumbled to powder when they fell to the deck. Found fire hoses with horrible leaks at the brass fittings and the hose itself. While the letter of appreciation is for the inspection, what it means to me is that my firefighting equipment worked every time it was needed. Because they worked, we never had a major fire. We had many minor fires that never had the chance to become a major fire.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:05 PM

6,482 posts, read 9,864,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I have a letter of commendation for my time as the engine room DCPO on the USS LaSalle AGF3 in the mid90s. DCPO is damage control petty officer. Each division assigned a person to inspect, maintain, and repair all the firefighting equipment, emergency lighting, as well as water tight doors, hatches, and scuttles in all of their division’s spaces. During major inspections, extra close attention to these equipment is made in certain departments which included engineering and aviation. None of my equipment failed inspection. When I had taken over the job I found horrors including a failed extinguisher on the boiler flats that was pulled out when lighting fires in the boilers. If a fire needed to be extinguished then this was the extinguisher they would try to use. The CO2 cartridge had been punctured, PKP was now rock hard, and all CO2 had bled out. I found some emergency lanterns dead for so long that the batteries crumbled to powder when they fell to the deck. Found fire hoses with horrible leaks at the brass fittings and the hose itself. While the letter of appreciation is for the inspection, what it means to me is that my firefighting equipment worked every time it was needed. Because they worked, we never had a major fire. We had many minor fires that never had the chance to become a major fire.

Thats not an easy task to get any kind of recognition as the DCPO, congrats!

Old 05-22-2024, 08:10 PM

17,669 posts, read 17,857,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Thats not an easy task to get any kind of recognition as the DCPO, congrats!
I was once asked by guys in my division why I worked so hard at being a DCPO. My answer was that I wanted to leave the ship alive. While it seems minor to some, to me it was a vitally important job for the safety of the crew and ship.

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,039,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My Honorable Discharge.

Same here. I hated being in the military. Strangely enough, I wound up as a career DoD contractor always working on military bases.

Old Today, 04:46 PM

6,622 posts, read 7,122,400 times
being promotted to 1SG and taking responsibility for a company of soldiers. It was a long time getting there and I at first worried but...

Old Today, 05:05 PM

8,535 posts, read 6,964,189 times
Honorable discharge. Free college education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues