Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 AM

460 posts, read 989,078 times

Advertisements

I spent about a 10 days there, back in 1988. We were transiting over to Scotland for a big NATO exercise, and stopped there for gas. My plane broke (hydraulics), and so we were stuck. The rest of the squadron took off and left us there. And interesting visit, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,385 times
Default At NSGA barracks

To the person who is at the old barracks, I've wondered if they kept the painting I painted in the XO's room, small room in the office area. I took the book,"The Hobbit ", to Iceland with me and painted the illustration from the book of the hobbits on the barrels going down a river. It took me a while to finish but I believe I did.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,332 times
I was stationed there 99 to 2002 and there is not much on the base as for exploring goes. Go to the city of Keflavik and there is some good restaurants and small shopping areas.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,225 times
my dad was stationed there in the 50's and I was trying to find out more about him during this time. His name was Peter (also known as:-Pete or Sonny) he was from Mass. Any info would be great, thanks.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,047 times
Yes I was station in Iceland from 1963 to 1965, I offen worked with the Icelandic police on the main gate. It was a lot of fun, I tried to learn Icelandic but did not do well. So since I did not do good trying to learn Iceland when the differance police worked with me they did not trouble trying to talk english to me.
There were not many Marines station in Iceland, when I was their. How ever my wife is from Iceland, I meet her there during my stay.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,997 times
Default blacks at keflavik

I was stationed there in 1963-1964. There were no black military on the base. The Dodgers flew there for fuel going to Japan and no black was allowed out of the terminal. I was USAF but was assigned to the Admirals staff and visited the radar site regularly and no blacks were allowed there either. Rumor had it that any Icelandic woman who married or had a child from a black person during WWII were sent to the Westerman Islands, a small string of islands on the southeast coast. Curfews made us get off the streets in Kef by 10pm and we were not allowed in one town (I think Hafnafure) as it was Communist. You could only take 2 packs of cigs off base. It was not a very friendly atmosphere in 63 and 64.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,919 times
Default anyone ever been stationed in Keflavik

My husband and I were stationed there twice. First time was in 1987-89, and again in 1990-93. We loved it, and so did our boys. They started school there. During our first tour there we lived in housing directly behind the "Top of the Rock", which was also acrossed the street from the commissary. The second tour, we lived in new housing that was further down the street from our first location. I preferred the old housing myself.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:04 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,935,323 times
I was stationed there in the late '70's - stayed three years. The first year was a blast (party, party, party); the second year was fine; but the third year was too much.
The enlisted club, The Top Of The Rock, was a favorite spot.
When I arrived there the Navy Exchange was still in several quenset huts so when they built the new exchange it was quite exciting. I had Icelandic friends and would go to their houses off base to party. Also went to Icelandic clubs. Fun!!
The USO put on these fabulous fish fries on Friday nights with the best made-from-scratch tarter sauce ever.
I enjoyed my time there; however, I missed the woods in the states and got real tired of lava rock.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:13 PM

204 posts, read 1,506,179 times
I put in for Iceland (and Greenland) at least twice (volunteer, worldwide remote) but always pulled Korea. Anyway, the closest thing to the racism issue discussed in my experience was my Idaho tour. In 1983 I was stationed at Mt. Home AFB. At a mandatory "Social Actions" briefing, the briefer produced racist posters (8.5" x11") found in town. I recall him mentioning the posters sometimes find their way on base, and if found we were to report it immediately. Along with that, the briefer warned any blacks not to venture into Northern Idaho - that was Aryan Nation territory to be avoided. As a black man this was no problem - I hated Idaho (great huntin' & fishin' and I was into neither). Bailed after just 14 months on station; the BOP (Base of Preference) program got me out of there.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,498,369 times
I was thinking about taking a Space-A flight there (before the volcano eruption). So is there nothing there anymore, US military wise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues