Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:22 AM

795 posts, read 2,299,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Anybody remember "this is my rifle, this is my gun..... Saw some of the guys in the barracks behind us get caught with this one. Since we didn't have guns, they made us do pushups.
Funny Funny - gunny...
Women do not belong in a military - they cannot preform the basic requirements of a Warrior - rape and pillage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 10:58 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,811 times
The sand. It got in your clothes, your hair, your bunk, and was almost impossible to get out. It wore the skin off your knees and elbows when you had to low crawl. I think they trucked it in just to make things interesting for us.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,183 times
Default D-6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman53 View Post
I am looking for anyone that took basic training at fort dix newjersey 1970..d-6-2.our drill instructor was sgt.whitehead.ALSO TRYING TO TRACK DOWN THE YEAR BOOK AT GRADUATION..DOUGHBOY FIELD.ANYONE KNOW OF A PAGE OR WEBSITE I CAN CHECK OUT FOR THIS??THANK YOU.I ALSO WAS IN FORT DIX WITH A BUDDY FROM LEBANON PA.HIS NAME IS ALPHONSE MARIO.TRYING TO TRACK HIM DOWN.HE SHOULD BE AROUND MY AGE..56YRS...(ARMY)
Musicman53 I was also in D-6-2 (1970-1971) and am looking for a graduation book. Have you had any luck? If I do, I'll post the information. I remember SFC Whitehead well as well as SSG Gunter (?). Can't remember the East European corporal's name though.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:34 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
Fort Benning Georgia, July of 1979. Infantry training. Hot, hot, and hotter. They trained us on how to disassemble/reassemble M-16A1s in an old WWII building that was so hot you could hardly stand it. It must have been 100 degrees outside and there was NO ventilation in the building.

The first five nights of Basic Training we were only allowed to sleep about two hours per night, and this training took place on the fifth day. People were dropping out like flies left and right from lack of sleep. The Drill Instructors would walk around to those select few who nodded off and pour ice cold water down the back of their neck, and lots of it!

After the training was over, we were all promptly marched outside and forced to maintain the "dying cockroach" position for well over 20 minutes. Anyone that has done this knows how difficult it can be, especially in the baking Georgia sun at the peak of summer.

I also remember getting off the bus at Benning, in the middle of the night. There must have been 15 DIs out there with flashlights waiting for us. As soon as the bus stopped the DI came onboard and commenced to yelling, cursing, and calling us every name in the book until we got off. We had "breakfast" after about 30 minutes; a boiled egg and pint of milk, which we had to eat in place.

The 25 mile march with full backpacks (100 lbs) wasn't a lot of fun. After it was all over, I learned that I had dislocated my shoulder as a result of all that weight. I only weighed 115 at the time...

Old 02-06-2009, 12:05 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,384,528 times
Our CC (Coast Guard speak for Company Commander) ask who would like to call their mother. And, did anyone else want to smoke. Both groups went into a relatively small room, the smokers stood there depleating all the oxygen while the others were doing push-ups, yelling "Mother! Mother!..." I need therapy!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:22 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I had nearly forgotten bootcamp at Great lakes in December. You could carve your initials in the glacier. Thanks for waking the nightmare.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:50 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,085,740 times
I remember boot camp in Great Lakes - we were only alowed to buy certain neccesaties when we marched to the store. Things like q-tips, chewing gum, baby powder, and Icy-Hot were "contraband."

When we got back to the barracks we would have to show our receipt and maybe have our bag checked. I would have the civilian clerk ring up two seperate transactions then go stuff the "contraband" in my socks. We still had the old bell-bottom dungaries so I could really load them up.

...ridiculous

Old 02-06-2009, 05:55 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,416,720 times
1st day-- picking up linens and being from the south I smiled (as if to say thank you).. DS bellowed about how I was flirting with him, etc. Could've died.. lol.

Skin worn down from road marches that even mole skin wouldn't alleviate the pain=permanent scars.

We were told to bring a dresser drawer down to common area and was complimented on folding socks, etc. properly--> DS said: doesn't it just make you want to crawl up inside her drawers.. perfection, lol.

Communal showers.

KP Duty=Free Day.

Never knowing what the next day will bring.

Battle buddy caught out of bunk.. I was punished and had to stay up all night doing paint detail=furious.

3k calorie MREs.. lol. Crazy.

Boarding bus to go to AIT.. couldn't believe I was actually leaving.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:17 PM

317 posts, read 535,880 times
DON'T EAT ME SHARKS!!! C'mon, you guys know that one...

But my best memory wasn't anything to do with funny "beat downs" by the DI's or RDC's.

I graduated on the anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack. We had dozens and dozens of vets that were stationed and on base when it happened. Very cool, very emotional for them, very exciting to show off our stuff to them!!!

We also won the Captain's Cup. That was a blast gloating to the other divisions on how we kicked their butts at the various sporting events.

We also had the pleasure of being "adopted" by people for Thanksgiving. They had Chicago families adopt us recruits (5 weeks in or higher) for the whole day and dropped us off that evening. I got adopted by the neighbor of the guy who owns the house on Home Alone. We didn't take a trip inside though, which we wanted to do. He was 80 and had a 35 or so yr old wife

I cam back that evening hearing stories about others' families and 2 guys were "adopted" by the aids for Neve Campbell. I guess she was in Chicago filming a movie or something at the time and they got the spend the day with her, had a great dinner in the Hancock building and got autographs and her personal email address.

All in all, there were tons of great times that we all had in my division away from the great beat down stories.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,817 times
Default Our DI's were pretty mean but

One asst. DI was pure evil. He liked to send our platoon to the head for showers at the same time it was being cleaned by another unit. This always erupted into a bloodbath.

When we marched to chow at O dark hundred, he would position the right guide about 75' feet in front of the column, so that unknowing stragglers from other units would break our ranks and be immediately beaten.

He also liked to whisper "toon halt," and proceed to squeeze the testicles of everyone that failed to stop properly. We all swore that we would kill this guy after graduation.

Now for the good memory: three of us were on liberty after graduation when we observed the sergeant from hell pushing a beautiful baby girl in a stroller. In spite of the fact that we had already imbibed much of the local refreshment, we were able to offer our congratulations, shake his hand, and then go on our way.

I realized then that we had all matured over the past four months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues