Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,200 times

Advertisements

My hubby was also exposed to lead and mercury on the ships he was on. They sandblasted the flight decks and he was exposed to the dust. He is sick now. He went to the navy hospital in Virginia on 2010 and he is still exposed to it. It is a lawsuit ongoing. Got to research for the info for him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 09:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I say there is more chance from being a child because you have to like consume lead paint. Its much more likely a childhood problem from growing up in a household where it was once common type of paint.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,055 times
I was aboard the USS Iwo Jima from 1983 to 1985. During that time I was exposed to Red Lead paint and many other types. I was also exposed to Tric Solvent as well as other cleaners.
Four years ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.
Does anyone know any other sailors with Parkinsons that served during the same time?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,865 times
Did you ever find out any facts about Red Lead in the Navy ships. My husband has Metastatic Prostate cancer and some spots on lungs (we do not know if lungs are cancer) but I am fighting VA. He was on the Mullinex and cleaned asbestos.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-13-2015 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Please, do not ask people to email you.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,036 times
Hello Tellershaw : I was on a Carrier as well as Destroyer 70' - 73'. Was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in 07' at a young age of 54. Had a radical prostatetectomy. I would like to know if you or any of the readers on this site have any material I am able to get ahold of which talks about the effects of red lead & prostate cancer. I was a storekeeper, and we cleared out many storerooms loaded with large drums of chemicals (unknown as to their contents, about 10 % of them were unsecured). Scraped, needled gun, sanded etc. the rust spot with the red lead & leaded navy grey paint, as well as re-wrapped pipes, without any protective gear except eye protection. Anyway, I am on an appeal as we speak because VA denied claim stating that I was not "in country" Thanks Chris

Old 08-24-2015, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,695 times
Default Parkinson's Disease lead paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaupduck View Post
I was aboard the USS Iwo Jima from 1983 to 1985. During that time I was exposed to Red Lead paint and many other types. I was also exposed to Tric Solvent as well as other cleaners.
Four years ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.
Does anyone know any other sailors with Parkinsons that served during the same time?
I was exposed in 1984 I was onboard USS MacDonough DDG 39 I was in charge of the paint locker. both the locker and the paint storage 4 decks below in the hold. Went out to sea and had some bad weather. The paint down in the hold let loose and spilled. about a foot deep in paints including red lead. I was in charge cleaning it up. We pumped in fresh air and we had on cheap masks. I got such a bad headache. Well in 96/97 i felt something was wrong. Iwas diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease 13 years later 1998.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 10,641 times
USN "67-71"

8 years of research..Scientific and Medical studies....3 C&P's ... Positive civilian doctors letters, BVA, family nexus and Buddy letter....Denied....

I have a saying " DDUTD".

Deny, Deny Until They Die....

Old 12-07-2016, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedIdiot View Post
Red lead on the dungarees was a "badge" that told others when on base you were a fleet sailor.

I believe the name of the stuff used to paint the aluminum superstructure was zinc chromate.
I believe that you are correct. We used (yellow) zinc chromate primer on bulkhead steel on the old Bennington CVS-20 in 1968.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,044 times
Spent 3 years on LST's 1986-89. We used red lead aboard the Peoria until "87" and then the 2 part green primer. Never any good respirators to use, even when stripping and re-lagging pipes.. Would like to file claim for my health issues, but seems as though it won't go too far.... Good luck to all that do...
Guns 2

Old 12-11-2017, 11:01 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fitzpatrick View Post
Spent 3 years on LST's 1986-89. We used red lead aboard the Peoria until "87" and then the 2 part green primer. Never any good respirators to use, even when stripping and re-lagging pipes.. Would like to file claim for my health issues, but seems as though it won't go too far.... Good luck to all that do...
Guns 2
While a neighbor of mine bragged about getting 50 percent for a voluntary hysterectomy. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues