Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:49 PM

161 posts, read 563,912 times

Advertisements

What did you like about it? What wasnt to your liking? Did you have a favorite overseas assignment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 AM

37,494 posts, read 61,477,136 times
We did a tour in Naples, 1997 to 2001.

We really liked it.

There are lots of Italian beaches. Naples is really old there are archeology sites EVERYWHERE, coliseums, amphitheaters, basilicas, villas, ...

It is close to Rome, so whenever friends from the states came to visit us, we drove them to Rome. The Herculaneum is nearby, Pozzuoli, Baeia is great!

My Dw drove a couple times to Paris, once with relatives, once with her sister, it is only a day's drive.

There are many things to do, all within an easy drive.

One weekend we drove to Vinci, the home of 'Leonardo from Vinci' and went through both of the museums there.

Florence, Venice, ...

Also being in the center of Europe, it is real easy to hop short distances for your leave time.

I did a week vacation skiing the Matterhorn, the ski slopes and lifts straddle into two nations, each with fantastic resorts [Cervinia and Zermatt]. [I went with a ski group, we drove]

We took the family on a car-trip on the ferry in Bari and crossed to Greece. Very nice driving trip.

One year I used my leave to go to Egypt and spent four-weeks on a river paddle boat going up and down the Nile, stopping at all of the various sites.

Another year I used my leave and went to Israel, with a group. We toured Archeology dig sites for a month.

Our sons were in Boy Scouts and I remember going on a Camporee with their troop to Sicily. We hiked up Mt Edna, and watched the lava spitting up in the air, at night it is really neat.

We enjoyed living in Italy.

Our favorite place to live though was Scotland. We lived there for a standard 3-year tour, it was GREAT!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,547,484 times
Deployed a number of times with USAF fighter squadrons from Germany. We mostly deployed to Zaragoza, Spain and Decimomannu, Sardinia (Italy) Despite a pretty good workload, we still managed to get out and see some things. Would recommend either as an assignment (at least from the USAF pov)

Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 9,165 times
where do deploying members stay at in Italy?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:43 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanelson View Post
Why do you ask?

Old 03-27-2010, 12:59 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,829,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We did a tour in Naples, 1997 to 2001.

We really liked it.

There are lots of Italian beaches. Naples is really old there are archeology sites EVERYWHERE, coliseums, amphitheaters, basilicas, villas, ...

It is close to Rome, so whenever friends from the states came to visit us, we drove them to Rome. The Herculaneum is nearby, Pozzuoli, Baeia is great!

My Dw drove a couple times to Paris, once with relatives, once with her sister, it is only a day's drive.

There are many things to do, all within an easy drive.

One weekend we drove to Vinci, the home of 'Leonardo from Vinci' and went through both of the museums there.

Florence, Venice, ...

Also being in the center of Europe, it is real easy to hop short distances for your leave time.

I did a week vacation skiing the Matterhorn, the ski slopes and lifts straddle into two nations, each with fantastic resorts [Cervinia and Zermatt]. [I went with a ski group, we drove]

We took the family on a car-trip on the ferry in Bari and crossed to Greece. Very nice driving trip.

One year I used my leave to go to Egypt and spent four-weeks on a river paddle boat going up and down the Nile, stopping at all of the various sites.

Another year I used my leave and went to Israel, with a group. We toured Archeology dig sites for a month.

Our sons were in Boy Scouts and I remember going on a Camporee with their troop to Sicily. We hiked up Mt Edna, and watched the lava spitting up in the air, at night it is really neat.

We enjoyed living in Italy.

Our favorite place to live though was Scotland. We lived there for a standard 3-year tour, it was GREAT!

Was assigned to AFSOUTH in the 80's. Living on the economy can be risky when you travel due to break ins. We decided to stay in the government leased high rises at Pintamare, North of Napoli.

It is important to study the Greek and Roman myths to better understand what the heck one is viewing in the museums.

My favorite drive was the Amalfi Coast road to Salerno. Drives to Portofino, Venice, San Marino, Tuscany. Rome is enchanting. Made a drive to Sicily.

Cannot list all the numerous places visited.

The USO in Rome and Naples was a source for hotel discounts. Italy was a great assignment and learning experience.

There was a very professional Educational Center at AFSOUTH, completed my college degree.

Knowing some Italian will help and getting Gas coupons.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:01 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,829,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanelson View Post

Curious why you would ask such a sensitive question.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:17 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,557,330 times
Was stationed in Gaeta, Italy. It's a small city half way between Naples and Rome. Nice peaceful place with friendly people. Would love to visit again.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:18 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,557,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Curious why you would ask such a sensitive question.
Especially since he only joined today and this was the first question he asked. I'll answer his question. They stay in Italy.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 PM

37,494 posts, read 61,477,136 times
There are leased apartment complexes everywhere; from Bari to Pintamare, Gaeta, Baia, Pozzuoli, Agnano, ...

Nearly all of the towns in the area have apartments.

We were in Greciano[sp]. Nobody moves their family when they are deploying. Families stay in place while the servicemember goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues