Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 31,014 times

Advertisements

West Allis has it's fair share of problems. Anywhere in Ozaukee County would be great, lots of rural farm land ares but still close to grocery stores and everything. Grafton is a GREAT town and cost of living is a little cheaper there than the neighboring Mequon and Cedarburg. It is also a slower moving area than West Allis or Waukesha which are still city like. Ozaukee is on I-94/43 which is much less busy than 41/45 and better maintained as well. There are also roads like HWY-181/ 76th street and HWY-57 and Port Washington road that will bring you into the city with ease. Ozaukee is north of MKE so depending on which area of the city you will be working should guide you towards where you want to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 12:36 PM

17 posts, read 48,323 times
Anywhere southwest of the city (Mukwonago, Muskego, New Berlin, Waterford) is the best bet for your money if you want more rural with easy freeway access. If you want to stay closer to work in an affordable area, West Allis and Greenfield are good bets.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 10,699 times
A huge thanks to all you posters! Wife and I are driving up next weekend to look around and start seeing what's available. Would you say it's better just to drive around, or is Craigslist or another listing site a better bet?

Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,863,657 times
I'd start with Craigslist. If you're looking for rural stuff, you might drive around all day and not see anything for rent.
There are a lot of lake communities, inland lakes-not Lake Michigan, that have a rural/small town feel to them. I've seen stuff for rent in those places on Craigslist quite often.
Wind Lake, Mukwonago, Muskego...
Hales Corners is a bit closer in, but it has a bit of a natural feel to it. Lots of trees and larger yards in many parts of it.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 AM

5 posts, read 31,014 times
Ozaukee County also has some great lakes and rivers and ponds all over. It also has great schools and low crime rates. There are many stores (grocery, clothing, wal-mart, local businesses, etc.) and there are MANY festivals and stuff all year round. Cedarburg has been kept with a historical feel and port washington has a bit too. Grafton has a lot of historic buildings but they also have a section but the freeway with a Costo, Target, Home Depot, Noodles & Company, Kohl's, Best Buy, Pet Smart etc. Away from the freeway there are many suburbs and rural country areas. It is a great combination and give you the best of both worlds. Rural setting, slow/at your own pace, but all the benefits of a city tucked away so you don't have to look at all those ugly stores from your home (Actually the stores are brand new and are not ugly at all, but they are still big buildings instead of gorgeous country scenery)

You can find a lot of stuff on places like rent.com, etc. and they give you some good deals like $100 off rent and deals for moving companies etc.
What area will you be working in?
I would definitely look online first to get an idea of where you want to go. Then you can do some driving around in areas where you know there are places for rent.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:11 AM

55 posts, read 86,547 times
If you are looking to purchase a home, though, I would caution you on choosing West Allis over Waukesha county. Our property taxes are HUGE compared to what you would pay in Waukesha county. Just something to keep in mind. My parents live in Waukesha with a bigger house and yard and they pay about $1,000 less a year in taxes than we pay.

We live on the west side of West Allis and everything else is great, but I'll tell ya, it's hard to pay that bill every year. LOL

Old 06-10-2011, 07:32 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,302 times
Here is a link to look at Waukesha County and surrounding area rentals:

GMTodayClassifieds.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee