Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 05:04 PM

196 posts, read 474,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesia View Post
If you're going to a public school, you should go to a school in a city that specializes in your area of interest. I wouldn't go to school for computer science in North Dakota, since California or the Northeast have more jobs in that field. Overall though, what matters in school is not the ranking (unless you're Ivy League). Once you've had your first job for a few years, no one care where your degree came from anyway.

The biggest things that help your success in school are networking and motivation. Get to know your teachers well, your classmates and as many people associated with your area of interest as possible. When you graduate and you're looking for a job, you will be glad for a wide social network to help you. I graduated in 2008 just as our economy flipped out, and networking is the only way I got a job despite being an engineer. As for motivation, keep your grades up and maintain a high level of involvement with organizations and clubs that specialize in your area.

One last bit of advice, do not learn the blame game. No one likes a whiner. I'm a gay dude from Cincinnati, and it's probably harder there than Milwaukee since it's far more conservative. Use that name calling as motivation for success, so you can be those bullies' boss one day. I'm not trying to belittle your experience, I'm just trying to point out that the world doesn't really care. You're in charge of your destiny, and therefore you're responsible for it too.
I've done quite well for myself, especially considering my situation, so I really don't need this so-called "advice" from the likes of you as far as my sexuality and race go. While I'm a gay black male "whining", researching up, and trying to better my situation, most of the gay white men I come across are smoking, hooking-up, and getting drunk, from what I see at gay bars, online, and at college.

"I'm a gay dude from Cincinnati, and it's probably harder there than Milwaukee since it's far more conservative." Wait a second! What race are you even? You conveniently left that out of your snotty little commentary at the end of your posting. You had better not be a gay white male, talking about having it tougher than gay black males in the city of Milwaukee because "Cinncinati is conservative"? First of all, most of the Milwaukee area is conservative with the exception of the city itself and a few of its outskirts. While the city itself is more liberal, it's also where poor and working-class blacks -- who make up the majority of Wisconsin's black community -- reside. Most blacks live in the city as there's a total lack of black suburbs. As for the experience of gay black males living in the city, they not only deal with issues of sexuality, but race and poverty as well. Solidly middle-class blacks like myself, of whom are in the minority, are not only stuck in CONSERVATIVE suburban areas, but vastly outnumbered by CONSERVATIVE suburban whites. The schools over in the city are of poor quality, and the better schools are out in the suburbs so that's one of the many reasons some middle-class black families feel forced to move in conservative suburban white areas. In addition, Wisconsin's only gay black bar is over in the hood, naturally where most of the blacks live. I'm literally cut off from dating men of my race because finding a middle-class gay black male is next to impossible given these factors. As for gay white males, most of them are hung up on race as proven by some of the snotty comments I come past online and on dates, and I'm forced to deal with them given their majority numbers in the gay community. Unless you settle for some white man out of your league, the chances of finding the right person in Milwaukee WI is extremely low for a gay middle-class black male. For these reasons, I've had to be very independent in my gay experience with no one else to rely on growing up. As a gay white male in "conservative" Cinncinati, you can simply log onto your Internet and find plenty of middle-class gay white males going through what you are. Here you go: middle-class gay white male for you right here on craigslist:
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/m4m/2405201042.html Took me two seconds to find an ad with a middle-class looking white male in Cincinnati for you. Now what you do is you e-mail him, get to know each other, go out on a date at a local restaurant, and don't scream out "WE'RE GAY" for everyone in the restaurant to hear. Also, don't have a full-fledged make-out session in the center of the restaurant as a form of side entertainment. Doesn't sound all that complicated to me.

"Do not learn the blame game"?! Which of my comments are you referring to? The comments relating to the stark disparities between blacks and whites throughout the nation, and in this state in particular?
LMFAO! I bet you'd just love it if my response to the constant putting down of the black race in regards to crime, higher incarceration rates, poorer grades, etc., was "LISTEN! You all sit there and criticize our race left and right. I just feel there's no legitimate excuse for our race doing a lot worse off than whites other than us not having our crap together like whites do. And if we actually had a sense of right and wrong, we'd have it just as good as them but we simply don't and never have. Last but not least, all of our troubles in terms of schooling and grades falls on the fact that we simply have no desire to learn. Simple as that. I'm done!" ROFLMFAO! You'd just revel in it, if I responded that way and kept all those cited facts and figures up above out of the discussion, wouldn't you? Bet you would. It would be extremely unsurprising to me if you were a white gay male, as the gay community is filled with a lot of racism and is geared towards gay white males.

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 05-27-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 AM

15 posts, read 36,108 times
If you're looking for a GOOD college,and very accepting,might check out Tulane,in New Orleans.I hear. A fine city for all kinds of reasons!!! ! (Also,realize that your degree isn't going to get you a job anymore!!! Liberal Arts or IT maybe.)...have you considered Morehouse?? I can't imagine that one to have any negative connotations in re Education,but homosexual?? Probably a problem,although if your not a real "fairy" about it...who knows?? Really,try Tulane....Douglas Brinkley is a professor there....I've heard him speak. I'd give anything to get into Tulane!!! Atlanta??? Why?? Your Dad is right about the UW System though,and there's always Marquette.But Atlanta????? NOT. Plain & simple.Got that??

Still,if you want the grants & stuff,2 semesters a @ Tulane will look super-cool on the ol' resume...if you can get in!! Your daddy's steppin' ALL over your tailwinds....go somewhere,learn to live unsupervised,broaden your horizons..Let me know if you get into Tulane!!!!!

Hey,maybe you can help ME.Mister College Dude....I've got this fantasy of online courses in Environmental Sciences...but they want,like $350/ credit,and I'm an old lady on Social Security......how does one go about "auditing",or don't they do that anymore??? We were warned back when Iwas in HighSchool that we we destroying our own planet,just to "get MORE",whatever THAT is....Well,environmental science...the so-called Green Revolution is probably too late...and Big Oil is standing in the way......Just cuz this is a Forum,I'll say my piece!!

"They" don't tell you that this planet produces PLENTY of food to feed us all....we just don't have good ways of distributing it,yet!! Oh,and the good ol' US of A throws away around 25% of the food it makes/grows.(Didn't tell you THAT,did they!) And the scare-tactics about High Fructose Corn Syrup....are more serious than they're letting on!! WAY more serious,folks.....did you know that corn is in almost everything we put into & onto
our bodies??? Just you wait...like the peanut,there's gonna be a major breakout of allergies to corn & all it's Genetically Modified brethren. READ "Silent Spring" !! SEE "An Inconvenient Truth"------Big Oil & Factory Farming are going to put us all to death. A NEW strain of E-coli....another Superbug??? Pay attention,boys & girls!!! We have to fix it.and not be afraid to take on these behemoths!!! Innovate! Create CLEAN solutions....the concept of Hydrogen Fuel Cells & Wind Power have been out there for 30 years..and there's no such thing as SAFE Nuclear,OR "Clean Coal".The power is in YOUR hands now.....Get it done!!!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:41 AM

15 posts, read 36,108 times
Question Environmental Guru

Hey,maybe you can help ME.Mister College Dude....I've got this fantasy of online courses in Environmental Sciences...but they want,like $350/ credit,and I'm an old lady on Social Security......how does one go about "auditing",or don't they do that anymore??? We were warned,back when I was in HighSchool that we we destroying our own planet,just to "get MORE",whatever THAT is....Well,environmental science...the so-called Green Revolution is probably too late...and Big Oil is standing in the way......Just cuz this is a Forum,I'll say my piece!!

"They" don't tell you that this planet produces PLENTY of food to feed us all....we just don't have good ways of distributing it,yet!! Oh,and the good ol' US of A throws away around 25% of the food it makes/grows.(Didn't tell you THAT,did they!) And the scare-tactics about High Fructose Corn Syrup....are more serious than they're letting on!! WAY more serious,folks.....did you know that corn is in almost everything we put into & onto
our bodies??? Just you wait...like the peanut,there's gonna be a major breakout of allergies to corn & all it's Genetically Modified brethren. READ "Silent Spring" !! SEE "An Inconvenient Truth"------Big Oil & Factory Farming are going to put us all to death. A NEW strain of E-coli....another Superbug??? Pay attention,boys & girls!!! We have to fix it.and not be afraid to take on these behemoths!!! Innovate! Create CLEAN solutions....the concept of Hydrogen Fuel Cells & Wind Power have been out there for 30 years..and there's no such thing as SAFE Nuclear,OR "Clean Coal".The power is in YOUR hands now.....Get it done!!!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanHistory09 View Post
Well, right now that and the cost of college out of state is what's keeping my dad from allowing me to get the hell out of Wisconsin. He says my credits wouldn't transfer to a college outside of Wisconsin, he couldn't afford to send me to a college in Atlanta, and schools here are better. So, he wants me to do my final 2 semesters here and then after next May, I can get the hell out of here and find a nice middle-class black community to live in over in Atlanta for my sanity.
Uh, yeah...I'd listen to your dad, stay put, finish your degree (I mean, two semesters for god's sake), and then move wherever you can get a good job.

Transferring just for 'lifestyle' sounds ridiculous to me.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:24 PM

196 posts, read 474,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristy1958 View Post
Hey,maybe you can help ME.Mister College Dude....I've got this fantasy of online courses in Environmental Sciences...but they want,like $350/ credit,and I'm an old lady on Social Security......how does one go about "auditing",or don't they do that anymore??? We were warned,back when I was in HighSchool that we we destroying our own planet,just to "get MORE",whatever THAT is....Well,environmental science...the so-called Green Revolution is probably too late...and Big Oil is standing in the way......Just cuz this is a Forum,I'll say my piece!!

I took an Environmental science course, which touched upon a lot of the subjects you've brought up in your posting, over at UW-Waukesha. That's where I got my Associate's Degree from. And to answer your question, yes, the auditing system still exists. While there is a fee for auditing, senior auditors -- people aged 60 and older -- do not have to pay all the expenses that a person under 60 must pay (as shown here UW-Waukesha - Auditors Fees ). I really think you should check out UW-Waukesha, or at least some other 2-year college. UW-Waukesha is a relaxing, peaceful college that doesn't have an overabundance of students so its never rowdy and crazy, getting through big crowds or anything like that. It's located in a nice, serene area. It's also small so everything is within easy access and you learn your surroundings quickly. It has a high school vibe without the immaturity. Because it's not a 4-year college with a bunch of people, you're able to really get to know staff members and such, get a lot of one-on-one attention from teachers, and can really delve into your subject of interests.

You sound like you know a thing or two on Environmental Science and have a fiery passion for it. I wouldn't take that savvy you have on the subject for granted if I were you. I would build on it. I'm really thinking you should go through with your idea to audit a class. You sound like you have great deals to offer the world. I admire your knowledge and enthusiasm for the subject and life in general. By the way, old lady shmold lady. Judge Judy makes $30 million a year and has the best daytime TV ratings out of anyone on television right now all at 68 years of age. You're not old unless you start acting like it by having no interests, no passions, and no get-up and go. Make the world a better place with that strong voice of yours. Get out there and make a difference. I like you! I've taken note of "Silent Springs!"

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 06-04-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee