Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times

Advertisements

When I lived in the tri state of the Chicagoland area, I had a chance to visit Milwaukee a few times. I was surprised to see at how close it resembled Chicago. That is in appearance at least. What do the locals have to say?

Do you think Milwaukee is a mini Chicago? Why or why not?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:29 PM

some good info on Milwaukee

Milwaukee: Information from Answers.com

and on Chicago

Chicago city, United States: Information from Answers.com

Last edited by WildWestDude; 01-28-2008 at 06:43 PM..

Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 AM

395 posts, read 1,861,334 times
I think in many ways Milwaukee is like a mini-Chicago. The two cities share a lot in common. The one thing that they don't share in common is size. Chicago is colossal, while Milwaukee is merely big.

The one obvious similarity is both cities share the same Lake Michigan shoreline. Both cities have miles of unbroken parkland running up and down their shorelines, which stands in contrast to other Great Lakes cities, such as Cleveland, where the lakefront is almos all industrialized and/or privately owned. Both cities have downtowns that are clustered along a river that runs from the interior and empties out into Lake Michigan. Both cities are comprised of a patchwork of fiercely independent neighborhoods. The demographics of both cities are remarkably similar. Both Milwaukee and Chicago have a strong blue-collar identity but have a lot of professional white-collar jobs and the wealth that comes along with those kinds of companies.

One major difference is in the area of transportation. Milwaukee is very easy to get around in by car, while Chicago is not. Milwaukee has only a bus transit system while Chicago's transit is much more comprehensive and extensive.

Another major difference is that Chicago has a lot of transplants. Milwaukee, not so much. As a result Milwaukee tends to be somewhat more insular than Chicago.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
In physical appearance only, at the ground level. Otherwise you could barely find to demographically dissimilar cities right next to each other.

BTW, the Chicago River does not empty into Lake Michigan. It used to until ACoE reversed it with locks and by connecting it to the Des Plaines river, which itself is a tributary to the Illinois River, which in turn is a tributary to the Mississippi.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Can't add much more than what Milwaukee Ronnie said - his post was pretty much spot-on.

Some people here in Milwaukee hate hearing the whole "mini Chicago" type analogy, but I think that is unfounded. Surely it is a complement to be compared to a world class city.

I think in many ways Milwaukee is mini Chicago of sorts. Its architecture and "views" have so many similarities, although of course, there are 10-times the amounts of those in Chicago due to sheer size.

Very similar cities outside of size and the accompanying things that go with size (such as traffic, quantity of skyscrapers, etc.).

Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM

If I had to choose between the two to live in, I might choose Milwaukee.
However, MKE's weather being that one bit worse of something being already bad enough will make me reconsider...

Old 01-29-2008, 11:59 AM

Coming from south Texas and/or Vegas as your supplied info indicates, you really wouldn't feel the 2 or 3 degrees difference compared to what you're used to. If you're used to 75 to 80 degrees in winter, trust me, 20 degrees doesn't feel any better than 17 degrees.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Otherwise you could barely find to demographically dissimilar cities right next to each other.
US Census, 2006 estimates:

Milwaukee

43% White
39% Black
15% Latino

Chicago:

36% White
35% Black
28% Latino

Somewhat different demographics, to be sure. Twice the percentage of Latinos in Chicago vs. Milwaukee. But I could easily find two cities more demographically dissimilar so close to one another. San Francisco and Oakland, for instance.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Some people here in Milwaukee hate hearing the whole "mini Chicago" type analogy, but I think that is unfounded. Surely it is a complement to be compared to a world class city.
I've got no problem with being called a "mini Chicago." In fact, I don't even mind if Milwaukee comes to be considered as a "satellite" of Chicago. Association with Chicago could only be to Milwaukee's benefit.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
US Census, 2006 estimates:

Milwaukee

43% White
39% Black
15% Latino

Chicago:

36% White
35% Black
28% Latino

Somewhat different demographics, to be sure. Twice the percentage of Latinos in Chicago vs. Milwaukee. But I could easily find two cities more demographically dissimilar so close to one another. San Francisco and Oakland, for instance.
I'll give you Oakland and San Fran. But the Black/White/Hispanic breakdown is a little to facile to capture the many shades that exist in between. Chicago still receives immigrants at a pace that Milwaukee hasn't in quite a while, save for Mexican immigrants. Unless I'm missing something, Milwaukee does not have a Little Saigon, a Chinatown, a Koreatown, a Little India (with its own sub-Little Pakistan), a MASSIVE Polish immigrant population (no, I'm not talking about Polish descendents -- yes there are plenty of those in Milwaukee -- I'm talking people who got off a plane from Warsaw 3 months ago), a huge Puerto Rican neighborhood, a notable Cuban population, and the like; or if it does, not nearly to the extent that Chicago does, even par capita. It seems to be a lot more strictly black native-born, white native-born, and Mexican immigrant with a fair dose of Mexican native-born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee