Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,365 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am considering a move to Wisconsin from Illinois. I have a potential job opportunity in Fond du Lac. The job is appealing but not the city of Fond du Lac.

I am looking at areas such as West Bend or more preferably something like Menonomee Falls/Sussex based on articles I am finding about best burbs.

I would like newer home (budget to 400k), good schools, have small child so schools key, option to commute to Milwaukee if ever change jobs as well as opportunities for husband (he will need to find a new job if we move).

I would love a suburb with some sort of downtown area. Quaint ok, but some options for good restaurants, yoga, coffee, wine bar, music, etc. Park district or YMCA as well. Summer concerts, farmer markets. We are family oriented but also like to get out and have some fun occasionally.

Educated and professional population and friendly neighborhoods would be ideal too as will want to make friends. West Bend seems better commute...aiming for less than 45min, but not sure has the amenities.

Appreciate any insights.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 08:07 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Those Chicagoans and their money. First they move in, second they drive housing prices up, third they would elect liberals and turn WI into IL.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:55 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Menomonee Falls would work well. I know nothing about the schools though. It has yoga, a wine bar that is pretty alright. Be sure to check out Rays Growler Gallery too, which isn't far, and has some sweet stuff.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:46 AM

253 posts, read 393,905 times
Look into Cedarburg..you may fall in love with their quaint little downtown. There's lots of wine to be had there! It's very family oriented and schools are great.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:49 AM

I laughed really hard when I read this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Those Chicagoans and their money. First they move in, second they drive housing prices up, third they would elect liberals and turn WI into IL.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomkay View Post
Look into Cedarburg..you may fall in love with their quaint little downtown. There's lots of wine to be had there! It's very family oriented and schools are great.

I like Cedarburg too. But I think that's more than 45 min out, no?

Old 01-24-2019, 12:01 PM

It is..but I think Cedarburg is worth it if OP ends up liking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I like Cedarburg too. But I think that's more than 45 min out, no?

Old 01-24-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomkay View Post
It is..but I think Cedarburg is worth it if OP ends up liking it.

Yeah, I don't disagree at all.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,365 times
Thank you all for the suggestions. @Brrabbit to clarify I am actually NOT a Chicagoan. There is more to Illinois and I currently live in a small town far away from there. Your reply is generally unhelpful and demonstrates your bias and need to stereotype.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:48 AM

512 posts, read 473,744 times
Cedarburg, as others have suggested, meets the criteria for the geographical aspects you are seeking. If you're seeking an "educated and friendly" population, I wouldn't think twice about moving to West Bend or Waukesha. According to the most 2017 Census estimates, only 27% of adults (age 25 or older) have a Bachelor's degree or higher, whereas 60% of adults (age 25 or older) in Cedarburg have a Bachelor's degree or higher. Menomonee Falls and Sussex are also well-educated populations with high proportions of white-collar professionals. Regarding friendliness in the exurbs you mentioned, I had the misfortune of experiencing a ton of micro-aggressions in those areas because people formed preconceived notions about me, erroneously associating me with the average profile of a certain demographic in Milwaukee, without realizing that I owned a 400k home in a middle-class neighborhood with manicured lawns in Brown Deer. Therefore, I can't attest to any sort of friendliness outside of Milwaukee (except for Brown Deer and maybe Wauwatosa), hence why I moved out of this area over a year ago.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Don't worry; most of them in WI are either clustering in Milwaukee and Dane County or relocating to other states. You don't have to worry about WI becoming IL anytime soon.

Last edited by InnovativeAmerican; 01-25-2019 at 01:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee