Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:22 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,120,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas View Post
For the record, I don't consider the suburbs to somehow be "part of the city." In large part because the "culture" of suburban Milwaukee disgusts me. There's nothing for anyone who doesn't fit the mold of the fat, ignorant, middle-class American drone.

I will be moving to the Milwaukee area toward the end of the year and I will be living in the suburbs. I have to say I am a little annoyed that there is so much of this kind of sentiment going around, and with such hatred. You really shouldn't make sweeping generalizations like this. I'm not fat, nor am I ignorant, we are middle-class so you got me there...but last time I checked, being middle-class wasn't a bad thing, and yes, I'm a proud American. Not sure what you mean by being a drone...if you mean people who don't think for themselves, you're wrong about me there, too. From what I see, MKE is largely liberal and I am a religious conservative, so nope, not a drone.

Some of us have no choice but to live in the 'burbs due to work or money or heck, just not knowing a whole lot about the area (the reason we're signing a 6 month lease and getting to know the area before buying). Having never been there, I would venture to say I would consider the suburbs to be part of the city. In most cities, you don't just consider the city limits when evaluating a city. Perhaps that's different there, but to me, the whole thing from Brown Deer to South Milwaukee gets lumped together when I say "Milwaukee." Again, perhaps I'm wrong but that's the perspective of an outsider looking in.

Sorry that I'm soon going to become another person you "disgust" just for the fact that we will be living in the suburbs. Oh, and my husband and mother-in-law will be with me, and my brother-in-law will be next March. So you can add all four of us to your list of disgusting people. And before you say you were referencing the culture only, some of us are intelligent enough to read between the lines so don't play me for a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 AM

39 posts, read 116,304 times
I love everything about milwaukee!

Old 06-12-2010, 12:40 PM

180 posts, read 663,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I will be moving to the Milwaukee area toward the end of the year and I will be living in the suburbs. I have to say I am a little annoyed that there is so much of this kind of sentiment going around, and with such hatred.
Another person from the burbs who only notices the "hatred" when they're being attacked... and they wonder why...

Quote:
You really shouldn't make sweeping generalizations like this.
Where did I generalize? I said that all of the activities and "cultural" offerings in the suburbs were geared towards people who fit that mold... which is the truth! I never said anything about the people who live there.

Quote:
I'm not fat, nor am I ignorant, we are middle-class so you got me there...but last time I checked, being middle-class wasn't a bad thing, and yes, I'm a proud American. Not sure what you mean by being a drone...if you mean people who don't think for themselves, you're wrong about me there, too. From what I see, MKE is largely liberal and I am a religious conservative, so nope, not a drone.
Wait... are you actually saying that "liberals" don't think for themselves while religious conservatives do? LMAO!!!!

I'm sorry, but identifying yourself with such a broad, strawman-ish label like "religious conservative" is a very dronish thing to do. But I'm sure you have a mind of your own which you use to do exactly what Rush Limbaugh tells you to

And for the record, (since reading comprehension seems to be a commodity on this board) I'm not saying that all conservatives are drones. I don't see eye to eye with Milwaukee City's politics, but he's shown himself to be a very independently minded person in numerous threads. The other conservatives who post here, however, tend to be another story...

Quote:
Some of us have no choice but to live in the 'burbs due to work or money or heck, just not knowing a whole lot about the area (the reason we're signing a 6 month lease and getting to know the area before buying).
Nothing you've said here makes any sense. So because you're not familiar with the area you HAVE to live in the suburbs... according to who? And how would money force you to live in the surburbs? The city has housing available to everyone from the very rich to the very poor. The same can't be said about the burbs.

Quote:
Sorry that I'm soon going to become another person you "disgust" just for the fact that we will be living in the suburbs. Oh, and my husband and mother-in-law will be with me, and my brother-in-law will be next March. So you can add all four of us to your list of disgusting people. And before you say you were referencing the culture only, some of us are intelligent enough to read between the lines so don't play me for a fool.
Paranoid much? I guess you really WILL fit in around the suburbs

Old 06-12-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Another person from the burbs who only notices the "hatred" when they're being attacked... and they wonder why...

Where did I generalize? I said that all of the activities and "cultural" offerings in the suburbs were geared towards people who fit that mold... which is the truth! I never said anything about the people who live there.

Wait... are you actually saying that "liberals" don't think for themselves while religious conservatives do? LMAO!!!!

I'm sorry, but identifying yourself with such a broad, strawman-ish label like "religious conservative" is a very dronish thing to do. But I'm sure you have a mind of your own which you use to do exactly what Rush Limbaugh tells you to

And for the record, (since reading comprehension seems to be a commodity on this board) I'm not saying that all conservatives are drones. I don't see eye to eye with Milwaukee City's politics, but he's shown himself to be a very independently minded person in numerous threads. The other conservatives who post here, however, tend to be another story...

Nothing you've said here makes any sense. So because you're not familiar with the area you HAVE to live in the suburbs... according to who? And how would money force you to live in the surburbs? The city has housing available to everyone from the very rich to the very poor. The same can't be said about the burbs.

Paranoid much? I guess you really WILL fit in around the suburbs

Alright, you did basically everything I thought you would do. Let me clarify since you didn't get it the first time:

1) I did not just notice the hatred you spew, and I wasn't being attacked so that's a moot point. I have seen it on other threads from you and others. I have equally seen the posts from people in the suburbs hating on the city folk. I think it's all ridiculous. My problem here is that you were generalizing, yes, generalizing, that all people in the 'burbs are fat, ignorant drones or whatever it was.

2) You did generalize saying that everyone in the suburbs fits that mold. I think you must think I'm an idiot when you say you were only talking about the culture. The culture of a town is a direct reflection of its people.

3) No, I was not saying that liberals don't think for themselves. I was saying that since I probably think differently than a lot of people in Milwaukee, I am an example of someone who thinks for herself. I was not saying anything about liberals. I don't care about Rush Limbaugh, I make my own decisions, and in fact, I even voted for Obama. I identified myself as a religious conservative b/c it would take far too long to go into my opinions on politics and whatnot, and that is not what this forum is for.

4) I love how you just go around insulting people. "Since reading comprehension is a commodity on this board." And again, you're generalizing about conservative folks. Seems that's what you do best, make dumb generalizations which make you look ignorant. Oh, but would that put you into the grouping of what you believe people in the 'burbs are like?

5) What I said did make sense. From what I've seen, the apartments in the city are very expensive. I can't afford that. I can afford a nice place in Brown Deer, Glendale or Wauwatosa...all suburbs. What I said about not knowing the area means I don't have the best information on where to live, I don't know where the grocery stores are, or the best recreation sites, or the great restaurants, but seeing as how my husband's job will be in Brown Deer, living in the city proper may not be the best idea. And I would venture to say you're wrong about there not being housing for everyone in the 'burbs. From what I've seen, there definitely is a wide range of prices and amenities.

6) I'm not paranoid about anything, that was actually a dis to you. I really don't care what you think about me, you don't have to like me, I'm just making a point that not everyone in the suburbs is bad and I think you really should keep your mouth shut when you want to say mean things about the people who live there. You need to remember that everyone has their own situation to worry about, really, what do you care if someone lives in the suburbs? I don't care if you live in the city or on a ranch in BFE, it's all the same to me. I'm not gonna judge you for that. I will, however, judge you on your nasty attitude.

People like you are the ones who give the city a bad name. And people like you are the ones who perpetuate the little battle going on between the 'burbs and the city dwellers. You really should be pointing the finger at yourself instead of trying to make others feel bad.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Alright, you did basically everything I thought you would do. Let me clarify since you didn't get it the first time:

1) I did not just notice the hatred you spew, and I wasn't being attacked so that's a moot point. I have seen it on other threads from you and others. I have equally seen the posts from people in the suburbs hating on the city folk. I think it's all ridiculous. My problem here is that you were generalizing, yes, generalizing, that all people in the 'burbs are fat, ignorant drones or whatever it was.

2) You did generalize saying that everyone in the suburbs fits that mold. I think you must think I'm an idiot when you say you were only talking about the culture. The culture of a town is a direct reflection of its people.
That's your (incorrect) interpretation of what I said. If I'm wrong, then by all means give me a list of things that for people who don't fit that mold to do in the suburbs. Besides, you said yourself that you were largely unfamiliar with the area... for all you know even what you THINK I'm trying to say might be the truth!

Quote:
3) No, I was not saying that liberals don't think for themselves. I was saying that since I probably think differently than a lot of people in Milwaukee
If you think that liberal politics represent any kind of "norm" around here, then you really don't know the area. While Milwaukee itself is (by most standards) a very liberal city, the suburbs are easily the most rigidly conservative part of Wisconsin, which itself is one one of the most conservative states in the US... at least socially. In most elections, Milwaukee is the only blip of blue in the entire eastern half of the state.

Quote:
I am an example of someone who thinks for herself. I was not saying anything about liberals. I don't care about Rush Limbaugh, I make my own decisions, and in fact, I even voted for Obama. I identified myself as a religious conservative b/c it would take far too long to go into my opinions on politics and whatnot, and that is not what this forum is for.
This is exactly why it's a bad idea to identify yourself with such a broad and rigidly characterizing label like "religious conservative." I don't identify as a "liberal" for this reason... people would assume things about me like being in favor of abolishing the second amendment (which I'm not) or that I'm completely secular (I'm actually very spiritual... although I have a huge distaste for organized religion).

Quote:
4) I love how you just go around insulting people. "Since reading comprehension is a commodity on this board." And again, you're generalizing about conservative folks. Seems that's what you do best, make dumb generalizations which make you look ignorant. Oh, but would that put you into the grouping of what you believe people in the 'burbs are like?
If you think that was a personal dig at you, it's because you haven't been a member of this forum long enough. The phenomena of people going off on tangents based on something they THOUGHT someone else meant is quite common around here.

Quote:
5) What I said did make sense. From what I've seen, the apartments in the city are very expensive. I can't afford that. I can afford a nice place in Brown Deer, Glendale or Wauwatosa...all suburbs. What I said about not knowing the area means I don't have the best information on where to live, I don't know where the grocery stores are, or the best recreation sites, or the great restaurants, but seeing as how my husband's job will be in Brown Deer, living in the city proper may not be the best idea. And I would venture to say you're wrong about there not being housing for everyone in the 'burbs. From what I've seen, there definitely is a wide range of prices and amenities.
You clearly have not given the city a fair chance if that's what you think. Milwaukee consistently has some of the lowest housing costs of any city its size. Riverwest, Bayview, the more in-land parts of the Eastside... these are all reasonably "safe" areas with affordable (although the abundance of brown people in Riverwest often causes a lot of outsiders to assume otherwise).

Quote:
6) I'm not paranoid about anything, that was actually a dis to you. I really don't care what you think about me, you don't have to like me, I'm just making a point that not everyone in the suburbs is bad and I think you really should keep your mouth shut when you want to say mean things about the people who live there. You need to remember that everyone has their own situation to worry about, really, what do you care if someone lives in the suburbs? I don't care if you live in the city or on a ranch in BFE, it's all the same to me. I'm not gonna judge you for that. I will, however, judge you on your nasty attitude.

People like you are the ones who give the city a bad name. And people like you are the ones who perpetuate the little battle going on between the 'burbs and the city dwellers. You really should be pointing the finger at yourself instead of trying to make others feel bad.
Like I said, I'll stop when the suburbs break off their idiotic baises aganst those who live in the city. Even the nicest dog is gonna start biting if you smack it on the nose long enough and... as its been pointed out plenty of times before... the suburbs have been smacking Milwaukee on the nose for literally decades. I just think it's hilarious that so many people wanna call "foul" now when the city-dwellers are starting to strike back.

If you want city dwellers to stop talking bad about the suburbs, then start calling out suburbanites when they go off on their next rant about how Milwaukee is nothing but drug dealers, crackheads and gang-bangers and how anyone who chooses to live here is out of their mind.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:

If you want city dwellers to stop talking bad about the suburbs, then start calling out suburbanites when they go off on their next rant about how Milwaukee is nothing but drug dealers, crackheads and gang-bangers and how anyone who chooses to live here is out of their mind.
Do you know how long it would take to call out every person on both sides of this? Your earlier post was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me. No hard feelings, it was just very insulting and considering that's where I'll be moving to, I took it personally. Really though, both sides should back off. Notice I did not say anything bad about the city, I only defended the suburbs; from what I've seen, the city has a lot to offer. I just wish people would stop bashing the residents and start intelligently debating about the merits of city living versus living on the outskirts. But I suppose it arises when people like me post asking about where to live, and of course, everyone has their biases.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:15 PM

I should apologize to the OP for derailing his thread! I'm sorry about that.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:07 PM

50 posts, read 177,947 times
Quote:
For the record, I don't consider the suburbs to somehow be "part of the city." In large part because the "culture" of suburban Milwaukee disgusts me. There's nothing for anyone who doesn't fit the mold of the fat, ignorant, middle-class American drone.
As I'm not in the area yet, but an outsider making observations...do you consider Tosa to be lumped in with the suburban culture you describe, or more in the city mindset?

As an observer, it would seem to me that Tosa is more city than suburb. Heck, the house we bought is six houses away from the Milwaukee border.

And it doesn't feel like Elm Grove or Brookfield or Waukesha to me.

Just curious where you place it, culture-wise.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:30 PM

448 posts, read 1,821,815 times
I think your average Tosan likes to be close to the city and within the county. It is an older suburban city and has its own identity and culture. It is big enough to have several business districts and areas with distinct personalities. I wouldn't paint it as black as other suburbs although there are sections that are too sleepy.

There are areas in the city of Milwaukee that are similar. The far west side of Milwaukee is similar to Wauwatosa. Their borders actually intertwine with each other along a jagged edge. The southwest side of Milwaukee is similar and is populated with many folks with the same attitudes as suburbanites.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Shultz View Post
As I'm not in the area yet, but an outsider making observations...do you consider Tosa to be lumped in with the suburban culture you describe, or more in the city mindset?

As an observer, it would seem to me that Tosa is more city than suburb. Heck, the house we bought is six houses away from the Milwaukee border.

And it doesn't feel like Elm Grove or Brookfield or Waukesha to me.

Just curious where you place it, culture-wise.
Between being a city and being a suburb... I'd say suburb. Like most suburbs, it's an overwhelmingly white, middle-class town and its residents don't pay taxes to the City of Milwaukee (the latter is a huge sticking point for me).

That said... there's a term in urban sociology (my minor!) called an "edge city" that more/less means a place that's somewhere in-between a city and a suburb and I think Wauwatosa (as well as West Allis and Racine, FWIW) falls under this umbrella. Unlike places like Waukesha, Brookfield and Meqon, it wasn't a planned community and has something of a self-sustaining economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee