Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times

Advertisements

That's where things get complicated. The neighbors and condesending coworkers could be looking at race or they could just be one of the many, many people who just suck to be around.

Some people can be racist but things can also happen with two people of two races that aren't about racism but there's really no way to tell the difference.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:42 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Hey Kid Cann,

Based on your statements, you sound like you're a bit paranoid, regarding how minorities relate to you. Some minorities, are just unfriendly towards anyone, as are some whites. You shouldn't automatically assume, that all minorities think you're a jerk.

You sound like many white males from the 50s generation, who often assumed that all minorities were dangerous people, that loved to lash-out at whites for no reason. Whenever you meet new people of any race, you should keep an open mind, and treat them as equals. In other words, just be yourself, and act natural. You'd be surprised, at how positively ALL people, will react to you.

Sonya.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:18 PM

335 posts, read 675,977 times
You'd have to be a minority, who has dealt with such attitudes from whites, to really get what I'm saying. artwomyn you'd have to be a white, who has dealt with such attitudes from blacks to really get what kid cann is saying. see what i mean blacks act as if whites dont know what it feels like to be treated a certain way for the color of there skin. im a smart person and i feel the racism plenty from blacks from the mean mugs and the cold stairs to plain out disrespect. im not gonna let it turn me that way, but blacks will talk about racism allday untill you got a story to tell and then in stead of talking about it they want to discredit it.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:11 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey Kid Cann,

Based on your statements, you sound like you're a bit paranoid, regarding how minorities relate to you. Some minorities, are just unfriendly towards anyone, as are some whites. You shouldn't automatically assume, that all minorities think you're a jerk.

You sound like many white males from the 50s generation, who often assumed that all minorities were dangerous people, that loved to lash-out at whites for no reason. Whenever you meet new people of any race, you should keep an open mind, and treat them as equals. In other words, just be yourself, and act natural. You'd be surprised, at how positively ALL people, will react to you.

Sonya.
In a world of Political Correctness and over sensitivity, it's hard not to be a bit paranoid, especially being intelligent and accepting of all cultures, ethnicities and races like myself. I feel like people look at White Males as if we have it all-- White males have a target on our back, not only because of ''1950's'' males in the past that paved the way, but for the simple fact that's how males and white are looked at - as superior, which is sad.

I am hurt that I draw comparisons of a 1950s male. The history of this country literally disgusts me. Disgust. How can anyone put down the state of 'Our World' now-a-days. Our President is black, and just 60 years ago blacks couldn't drink at water fountains with whites. That's what disgusts me about this country. How ignorant is that? It's great that our country has changed so much in 60 years, but we need to remember 60 years isn't that long of a time, so there is still going to be racist tensions.

Like the other user said, I have absolutely no way to connect to a minority in terms of relativity. There's no way I could know unless I actually was a minority. Same goes the other way, unless you're a white male, you really don't understand.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:25 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Anyone can be a minority -- it's a matter of perspective only. That being said, white people generally aren't minorities in this country, except in small enclaves. (e.g. neighborhoods, schools, clubs, etc.).

Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Anyone can be a minority -- it's a matter of perspective only. That being said, white people generally aren't minorities in this country, except in small enclaves. (e.g. neighborhoods, schools, clubs, etc.).
There are a few exceptions, like the City of Atlanta proper (where whites comprise roughly 32% of its 500,000+ people). But even the Atlanta metro is majority white. Some suburbs aren't, but some are heavily so. It makes for some interesting politics at times, or so I've gathered in my 5.5 years down here.

Races in Atlanta:
  • Black (61.4%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (31.3%)
  • Hispanic (4.5%)
  • Other race (2.0%)
  • Two or more races (1.2%)
  • Asian Indian (0.6%)
  • American Indian (0.5%)

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Atlant...#ixzz0qybwDx3K

Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
^Okay, when I mentioned neighborhoods, schools and clubs I thought it was intuitive that cities, counties and even states applied as well, but I should have been more specific. But overall, this is still a "white man's country", so I feel that people who aren't white may always feel like minorities in this country dispite the fact that the discrepancies between all races is thinning every day.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:46 AM

8 posts, read 42,650 times
i have to say tension between black and white americans isn't as much as between americans and immigrants. i am iranian born and come to minneapolis every summer, i have not noticed much racism towards me except for a few cases. i don't speak english fluently,so usually people ask me where i'm from and after saying iran, there has been times that they turned around and walked away! like i'm some kinda terrorist! i guess that's because people judge me based on government's policies (which as the world saw last year ,is against most of people's will) .they judge me and they don't even know that i'm not muslim (no offend to muslims, but some poeple think islam is related to terrorism which is wrong) . but generally, i think poeple are very nice here and for a hispanic i don't think it'll be worse than this.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
The irony here being that some of the worst racist attitudes I've seen in recent years has been from one minority towards another.

Heck, I was talking to a friend who is asian who goes to a predominantly korean church that lies about his background because some koreans look down on people from that area.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^Okay, when I mentioned neighborhoods, schools and clubs I thought it was intuitive that cities, counties and even states applied as well, but I should have been more specific. But overall, this is still a "white man's country", so I feel that people who aren't white may always feel like minorities in this country dispite the fact that the discrepancies between all races is thinning every day.
A large city operates on a scale which is arguably a few orders of magnitude above the examples given in your list, but in some respects you're right. They're all small fish when compared to the country as a whole.

Then again, whites are a minority globally ... I think the main reason white (European) culture has spread so far and become so influential is largely an accident of geography and history (multiple equivalent ethnic groups living in close proximity to one another leads to conflict, competition, technical innovation, and eventually a need to explore and colonize outside the region to gain advantage). Or that's my layman's conclusion, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul