Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 09:11 AM

9 posts, read 36,817 times

Advertisements

My husband just got accepted to the University of Minnesota Law School yesterday! We are so excited but at a complete loss. I have never lived outside of Utah or Idaho and am frankly intimidated by the city. I am however excited for the adventure. We have a little 2 year old and one on the way. In your opinion, is it better to live right in town by the school or in a suburb? I will not be working so it will only be my husband who is commuting.

We've heard that Eden Prairie is a good place for families and to avoid north of Minneapolis. Any insight? We want to rent something between $800 and $1100 obviously preferring the lower end of the scale as we will be students again. We are LDS and would like to live near people of our same faith but it's not a priority. I would like to be close to the grocery store or target and maybe a bus line. Any advice would be more than appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Briittany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 09:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
I would look in the Oakdale area. I know there is a pretty sizable LDS church there that draws people from all over the Twin Cities. A friend of mine attended there when they lived in the area. It is also a fairly easy commute to Minneapolis and you should be able to find reasonable rent. With the housing market what it is you might be able to find a house to rent in your price range too. There are a lot of townhomes in the Oakdale, Woodbury area as well.

Inver Grove Heights also has a lot of rentals AND they have a GREAT ECFE program (Early Childhood Family Education) so that would be a GREAT way to meet people with kids. I would start looking there now that I think of it. It would be about a 10 minute drive to Oakdale for church too.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:35 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,760,169 times
Personally, I would say city because you're closer to everything and contrary to the popular "you deal with less traffic in the suburbs" argument...it would be a much shorter commute and there is a large number of quiet spots.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:19 AM

638 posts, read 3,123,148 times
Have you thought about living in student housing at the U? There are units on Como Ave between the 2 campuses that are great for young families; and there are also units for families near or on the St. Paul campus (I haven't been in those units; but the ones on Como Ave were very nice 30, 20 and 10 years ago (the last time I was there).

The nice thing about student housing is that you can meet other young parents; the bus stops right outside the door for an easy commute; and the commraderie of being among other students is priceless!

And it's cheaper than living off campus too!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,300 times
/\I was by those in the last few months, I wouldn't live there. If you are intimidated by the city, Mpls. metro was a good choice. As far as metros go, this one isn't very overwhelming. The area around the U is great. Alot of good rentals (some are bad, but you know easily) and transportation. There is a Target downtown and at "The Quarry" on the edge of the city. There is a Lund's on Central and University. The area has alot of students and professors. Dinkytown is fun. I think if you lived in the SE Mpls. area, there would be some "containment" within the city, as opposed to commuting (I find it to be the most stressful part of the city, especially when I don't know hwere I am). Oakdale is frankly a cheaper suburb, but nice. Can't say about that commute. Unless your kids are starting school for more than a year, I wouldn't personally feel the need to pay for EP (Fairly expensive). If you are looking for more suburban areas, I would look at Oakdale (for LDS), Roseville or Bloomington. Rsvl and Blmgtn are older suburbs, but with alot of nice houses and conveniences. Also, they are closer to the city. IMO, the area around the Univ. is your best bet. The area isn't particularly overwhelming, same conveniences as the suburbs as far as Target and grocery, rent is cheaper as it is geared to students, your husband can be closer to school, et. cetera. It is your choice. Good luck on whatever you decide. Welcome to Minneapolis.
---Minnehahapolitan

Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 PM

Minnehahapolitan, you wouldn't live where? In the housing on Como? or the housing on Cleveland? What is it that you didn't like?

DH and I were some of the first students to live in the Como Ave. Housing (between both campuses; and between Como and Hennepin Ave.) and those were some of the most convenient places for students to live in around here! The busses stop right there and you can go to either campus in less than 10 minutes.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,300 times
I can't remember the street, they were gray townhomes on an angle to the lot. They looked pretty worn. Also, there is good campus transit, but not a whole lot to get to, the area is pretty secluded (as is the St. P campus IMO)

Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 PM

Okay, then I think you are talking about the townhouses on the St. Paul Campus; the old "Fertile Flats" as it was known 30-40 years ago.

The campus transit is part of the Metro Transit; and that connects bus service across the Cities. Where we live there isn't any bus service, so I really miss it and envy those every 10-15 minute buses that the student have.

BTW, Congratulations to your Hubby! You two have some tough years ahead of you: he will be studying 24/7 and you will be minding the babies. You will need all of the support there is (from the other couples doing the same thing) and that is why I suggested student housing: you might even get to see him that way!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM

44 posts, read 235,017 times
Default Commuting to the U of M

I went to the U of M for 8 years. I always lived off campus, and in several areas --- St. Paul, Minneapolis, and Richfield. I can tell you from experience that commuting by car takes some real strategy unless you plan to get on a waiting list for contract parking at the U and then be prepared to shell out the bucks for it. There is basicly no parking left there besides ramps that charge by the hour - something you can't afford to do if you will be there as much as your husband will be. I tried everything - I've payed meters during class time and then left and came back for my next class. I hunted for on- street free parking at the edge of dinkytown, which was always a crap-shoot, and wasted lots of time. I drove to University avenue, parked and took the 16 to campus. That worked all right, but not great if you stay on Campus past 10:00, when busses stop running frequently or stop alrogether.

The best solution I found for commuting was to live near a U of M express bus line. I lived in the MacGroveland neighborhood in st. Paul then, and walked to Randolph and Snelling to catch it. The bus picks you up in the morning and brings you back around 5:00. If I-94 is backed up it just gets on the shoulder and bypasses it. Oh, and I believe it was free! If I had to stay later than that, either my sweet wife would come to pick me up late at night- no parking involved, or I would drive instead of take the bus and hunt for the free parking a mile away and hope I could find some.

If you decide not to live right next to or on campus I would highly encourage you to look for a place within walking distance of an express line. At least to be able to take advantage of this highly convenient option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul