Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 9,150 times

Advertisements

What do you all think of this area? Is onstreet parking doable in this area? Is it safe?

Also, how is 100 South commute and Crosstown West in the morning (Opposite in the evening)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
We almost lived there (that's Calhoun Terrace, right?), and would have signed a lease if we hadn't decided to take the job transfer option instead. Expect to have to park a few blocks away (although you could get lucky); on the plus side, that area is safe at all hours, so a walk back isn't a big deal. I'd cough up the money for a parking spot, though; the leasing agent at that address told us that there weren't any spots available, but that with turnover in the summer we'd probably be able to get one if we wanted. (we don't have a car, so no worries for us either way). If you want a guaranteed spot nearby there are also garages for rent. Really, though, you should be able to find safe parking within a few blocks, but since it's right by the lake and Uptown (and has a lot of apartments) it can get tight. You can't beat the location. I'm looking forward to our move, but am really, really sad we're not going to be living there.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 PM

Cool, that is good to know. Easy commute to Eden Prairie?

I have heard that 100 North is bad, but not South (in the morning) and vice versa in the evening. Any merit to that?

Old 04-25-2011, 03:58 PM

I'm not sure about the commute to EP. It should be doable, and I know a lot of people do it. You'll be heading against traffic, which should help. I don't think it will be too bad. I'd put up with it to live across the street from Lake Calhoun!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 PM

I went and looked at the apartment yesterday. You are right, the location is wonderful and the apartment was nice. So were the people!

Thanks for the input!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:39 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
Was this formerly Canterbury Court Apartments? If so, I lived there. It's nice, the location is 2nd to none in terms of price and access to the lake and other amenities. However, it's a pretty young crowd there and there can be some noise later at night and drunks in the street on weekends (even though it's supposedly frowned upon there). On the flip side, when I had some friends over and they were at my place "pre-gaming" around 10:00, my neighbor rudely asked us to keep it down. So I don't know exactly what kind of environment it is anymore. Also, GREAT pool area!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,960 times
Awesome location if you DON'T have a car to park. When I go to Uptown and see how those people have to park, I just shake my head. And in the winter, with the 1 side rule, oh boy, let the party begin!! You will be walking blocks to get to your apartment. But then again, lots of people do it, but I couldn't. I would get so aggravated if I came home from work all tired and stressed out and then had to park blocks from my apartment.

I park right in front of the duplex I rent here in S.Minneapolis near Minnehaha Parkway. I like things less stressful, I guess.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Was this formerly Canterbury Court Apartments? If so, I lived there. It's nice, the location is 2nd to none in terms of price and access to the lake and other amenities. However, it's a pretty young crowd there and there can be some noise later at night and drunks in the street on weekends (even though it's supposedly frowned upon there). On the flip side, when I had some friends over and they were at my place "pre-gaming" around 10:00, my neighbor rudely asked us to keep it down. So I don't know exactly what kind of environment it is anymore. Also, GREAT pool area!
I see that it's not the place I was referring to, but the Knox location you are talking about is such a great location! If you don't hate it and you appreciate the proximity to the lake AND Uptown, I'd take it in a heartbeat! It's not directly in the middle of Uptown where things are louder, busier and younger. Instead, it's at the edge of Uptown and abuts a busy lake. I'd love to live there, personally!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 PM

I am so envious. I know I already said that, but we toured there and really liked it. I generally prefer an older building, but you really can't beat that location. For what it's worth, a friend-of-a-friend passed along the inside scoop on that building; says its mostly pretty quiet, mostly younger professionals (but not exclusively), the laundry room is never busy, and management is nice and responded quickly when he needed something fixed. If we move back I'm going to have to stop recommending the place so that there's more likely to be an opening for us! Seriously, if we weren't moving we would have been neighbors. I had our application filled out and everything. Parking is going to be tight, but my guess is that your best bet (if you don't get a parking spot in their garage) will be south of Lake. That's the ECCO neighborhood, and it has fewer apartment buildings (and generally with fewer units) than the area immediately surrounding the building, so you'd probably have a better shot at getting a spot.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,658,192 times
I drove by that neighborhood last night; it's really nice over there. I say go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul