Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:50 AM

89 posts, read 119,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyformajorchange View Post
It may have gotten high on the snobby list but Minnesota can be proud to have ranked high on the list of states with the best quality of life....#3! America's Top States for Quality of Life: Take a Bow - Yahoo! Finance
And friends and family think I'm nuts for wanting to relocate there. Ha, in there face!!
Before you relocate here, go beyond the top rankings the city and state receives and look at how transplants/residents feel about the area. The rankings drew me and my personal experiences are causing me to leave. The city is very segregated and overpriced, this is my opinion. May not be yours.

Check out a few forums before packing up hearth and moving to the Northstar state.

I Love Minneapolis/St. Paul - I Hate Minneapolis/St. Paul

Look at good and bad before you make an opinion. Also read this recent article from The StarTribune concerning the worst employment gap in the nation between Whites and Blacks. Twin Cities jobless gap worst in nation | StarTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyechick View Post
I'm a transplant of a little over a year and I agree. When you hear comments like "I have enough friends, don't need anymore" and the only buddies you have are not from THE TWIN CITIES you know this city ain't for you. So I will be peace out when contract is up. One more Black professional leaving this mediocre city.
When I lived in the Twin Cities I found that I got along far better with the local people than the transplants. I'm originally from Connecticut. Currently living in the Kansas City area and hate it. People here are not very friendly and only like others that behave like they do and share the same personality or character deficiencies. In contrast, I had few problems with most of the people that I worked with or lived near while in the Twin Cities.

Some areas of New England are similar. People build friendships during their school years and maintain them until they pass away. My late mother had friends from her grade school years right up until the time she passed away at the age of 79 years old. I'm quite a bit younger than that but I too have friends that I still see and also stay in contact with going back as far as Kindergarten. If someone from outside of the state or country moved to our town, they generally were accepted and made friends after a while.

I think Minnesota is probably similar in that respect. People have made friends during their younger years and are content to be with the same people into adult hood. I strongly suspect this trait probably lends itself well to solid marriages as well. So while I did find a few people in the Twin Cities to be snobby or turn their nose up at me, it was far fewer than I've encountered in Kansas City which I've found to be more stuck up with an attitude than ANY other city including NYC, Boston or the Twin Cities.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:56 AM

Great for them, but not for me.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:01 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Quote:
Great for them, but not for me.
What about Cincinnati? I just bought a house in Covington, KY about a mile from downtown Cincy and so far I've found the neighbors to be pretty helpful and friendly. It's an integrated area and I don't see any racial problems in the immediate area either. The job market is starting to get healthy in Cincinnati as well.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 AM

182 posts, read 297,758 times
Quote:
Before you relocate here, go beyond the top rankings the city and state receives and look at how transplants/residents feel about the area. The rankings drew me and my personal experiences are causing me to leave. The city is very segregated and overpriced, this is my opinion. May not be yours.

Check out a few forums before packing up hearth and moving to the Northstar state.

I Love Minneapolis/St. Paul - I Hate Minneapolis/St. Paul

Look at good and bad before you make an opinion. Also read this recent article from The StarTribune concerning the worst employment gap in the nation between Whites and Blacks. Twin Cities jobless gap worst in nation | StarTribune.com
I have to agree with some of what buckeyechick is saying. I live in the DFW area now and while I prefer the Twin Cities to DFW overall the one huge advantage to DFW is that there's a much larger group of middle class and upper middle class black professionals. Not only black professionals but latino and Asian professionals as well while in Minneapolis the middle class and upper middle class groups are 99.9% white. I think the city needs to step up and market themselves better to minority professionals. Give them reasons to move here instead of Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, D.C, etc.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
What about Cincinnati? I just bought a house in Covington, KY about a mile from downtown Cincy and so far I've found the neighbors to be pretty helpful and friendly. It's an integrated area and I don't see any racial problems in the immediate area either. The job market is starting to get healthy in Cincinnati as well.
I'm from Ohio ie buckeyechick, go Buckeyes. I'm very familiar with Cincinnati.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:49 AM

74 posts, read 119,305 times
Thanks for the links. I will be sure to check them out. My move to Minnesota is in no way set in stone. The move will be a year from now, and there WILL be a move. I just have to do lots of research on where to go before hand. Definately leaning towards Minnesota. My husband wants me to go to the Reno area, but to me I might as well stay here. I live on a crime ridden, dangerous, extremely hot place with a horrible school system. So my move is necessary for my children. I have heard great things about Washington but that may be a bit to far from Louisiana as my husband won't be coming with us right away.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:58 AM

43 posts, read 89,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySun View Post
I have to agree with some of what buckeyechick is saying. I live in the DFW area now and while I prefer the Twin Cities to DFW overall the one huge advantage to DFW is that there's a much larger group of middle class and upper middle class black professionals. Not only black professionals but latino and Asian professionals as well while in Minneapolis the middle class and upper middle class groups are 99.9% white. I think the city needs to step up and market themselves better to minority professionals. Give them reasons to move here instead of Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, D.C, etc.
I couldn't agree with you more. I've lived in Minneapolis, then Tampa, FL and now Austin, TX. I have friends in Dallas metro area and have been up there several times. I can tell you there is a reason blacks choose houston, dallas, atlanta, Washington, D.C. etc over places like Minneapolis. Lot more professional middle to upper class blacks who are educated, have money, nice homes, educated kids, and very well paying jobs I have seen in a lot of the texas cities. Even here in Round Rock (110k population suburb of Austin), there is a black Parks and Rec Director, and a black female who is a Director of Round Rock Human Resources. For an area that still is majority white, I was truly amazed at what appears to be non-existent racism...people are very friendly, mind their own business and enjoy the high quality of life, minus the triple digit heat lol.

Minneapolis is overall an outstanding city, and they have the potential to be a world class city. But the lack of black professionals in Minneapolis/St Paul is pathetic and down right sad compared to whites in the Twin Cities. Being a black professional myself, I've had the opportunity to meet some really amazing whites in the Twin Cities, and I can't say specifically that I have experience direct racism in Minneapolis, but I did get the feeling that middle to upper class whites just don't or care about the poor young blacks. In Tampa for instance, there is a lot of ghettoes (blacks, latino and whites) and people just kind of expect it and just go ahead about their business, but in Twin Cities it appears that whites really want to segregate themselves from the lower class.

Just my personal observations, although I like Minneapolis and still go back there every year, I'm enjoying central texas, the people, and economic opportunities. I think I'll be in Texas for the long haul.

Last edited by RTDatx; 07-13-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 12:10 PM

74 posts, read 119,305 times
What is DFW?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:12 PM

182 posts, read 297,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyformajorchange View Post
What is DFW?
Dallas/Fort Worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul