Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 04:58 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,203,153 times

Advertisements

not like the public will ever get to hear what really happened on this noise complaint/possible assault situation...body camera "not turned on" and squad car camera "not functioning"...guess these are probably just optional in this community, one of them Australian refugees probably causing trouble...maybe the cop thought she was a pit bull.

Community Mourns Woman’s Death In Officer-Involved Shooting « WCCO | CBS Minnesota

Hodges 'deeply disturbed' by woman's shooting by Mpls. police - StarTribune.com

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-19-2017 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Edited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 10:09 PM

9,546 posts, read 16,602,401 times
Absolute disgrace. What the hell is Wrong in this sick country. I heard on the news this story is the front page news n Sydney.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:29 AM

9,546 posts, read 16,602,401 times
We have a sick an violent society in this country. We are in complete denial to admit it. It is not just with the cops in this country. I know many want to just blame cops, for quickly shooting people, but I don't think that is the real root of the problem. This country has the violence of a uncivilized society. The cops are afraid of being shot at random, as has been happening in various cities. That is probably what happened in this case. Sadly this poor beautiful innocent woman is dead. All because cops are afraid of being shot while on duty. No one really wants to admit that.

I'm not condoning at all what happened. I'm disgusted with what happened. I just think it's time to fully and honestly address this continuous problem. Are cops feeling so unsafe in their jobs they just shoot people. If so address honestly the problem. I mean as a society in general not just police depts. We have a violent society and the cops are victims of it also. They are fighting back in a very scared manner by reacting to situations by shooting people. Because they are afraid of someone coming up to the car and shooting them. This has to stop. Frankly I can't imagine why anyone would even apply for the job anymore.

I just feel so bad for this poor woman, and I'm becoming more ashamed of America's violent reputation.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:50 AM

628 posts, read 697,351 times
What are the Police doing in Minnesota? Last year Minnesota man- Philando Castile-. This year innocent lady who called for HELP. Why buy cameras if they are not going to turn them on...The USA has so much anger.
USA seems to be going down hill, people are full of malice-. I am sorry to say, I think politics has a lot to do with the way people feel. We must respect our police and they must do the same thing.

Last edited by MegaJoy; 07-17-2017 at 07:06 AM..

Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 AM

4,364 posts, read 6,557,183 times
Who in their right mind shoots through a door? Sounds like an awful accident this cop will have to live with the rest of his life.

We need a whole lot more info to understand this. Including the reasons for the lack of evidence.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:36 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,231,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Who in their right mind shoots through a door? Sounds like an awful accident this cop will have to live with the rest of his life.

We need a whole lot more info to understand this. Including the reasons for the lack of evidence.
The dead woman, meanwhile, does not even have "the rest of her life". Not even another minute. I fully sympathize with her, her family and her friends. Of course, we need more facts. There was no gun or marijuana present to excuse this incident as easily and she was not being pulled over for a broken tail light or as a robbery suspect. She actually called the police and this is what happens! Adding insult to injury is the fact that the body cameras were turned off and apparently the squad car camera was not working.

Perhaps the officer will say he was afraid of the dark. So long as officers are held to a lower standard of conduct than the average citizen, this is likely to continue. They should be held to a higher standard. It is a near certainty that Minnesota will make its law stricter IMO. That could be the one good thing that results from this. Hope the state and city leaders in Minnesota do the right thing. If this incident does not make that happen, nothing will IMO.

How many Minneapolis citizens will see or hear something suspicious in the next few days or weeks and not call the police now when they would have before this?

My thoughts and prayers on behalf of Ms. Damond, her fiance, son, friends and Fulton neighbors.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-17-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 AM

5,830 posts, read 7,760,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post

Not if you prejudge the incident.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,949,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
We have a sick an violent society in this country. We are in complete denial to admit it. It is not just with the cops in this country. I know many want to just blame cops, for quickly shooting people, but I don't think that is the real root of the problem. This country has the violence of a uncivilized society. The cops are afraid of being shot at random, as has been happening in various cities. That is probably what happened in this case. Sadly this poor beautiful innocent woman is dead. All because cops are afraid of being shot while on duty. No one really wants to admit that.

I'm not condoning at all what happened. I'm disgusted with what happened. I just think it's time to fully and honestly address this continuous problem. Are cops feeling so unsafe in their jobs they just shoot people. If so address honestly the problem. I mean as a society in general not just police depts. We have a violent society and the cops are victims of it also. They are fighting back in a very scared manner by reacting to situations by shooting people. Because they are afraid of someone coming up to the car and shooting them. This has to stop. Frankly I can't imagine why anyone would even apply for the job anymore.

I just feel so bad for this poor woman, and I'm becoming more ashamed of America's violent reputation.
Well said; I agree with all of this post. In addition to America, I am becoming more ashamed of Minnesota's violent reputation, also. That's something I never thought I'd find myself saying.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:06 AM

70 posts, read 101,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

Well said. This is not primarily a cop problem. This is indicative of the violent society we have devolved into.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:19 PM

871 posts, read 1,095,794 times
It's hard to imagine how the officer(s) involved will end up looking decent here, but we know so very, very little that I think we do need to show some restraint in drawing conclusions.

As far as 'rising violence against police' goes: Myth.

Is There A 'War On Police'? The Statistics Say No : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul