Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Minneapolis/St. Paul area ever recover from the riots? Or has it already?
Yes, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will recover from the riots. 39 40.21%
No, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will never recover from the riots. 42 43.30%
The Minneapolis/St. Paul area has already recovered from the riots. 16 16.49%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 08:49 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
My family member who works for a local municipality told me the details of Hudson stabbing murder. I mentioned that I was glad it happened there rather then here. Here, he’d be out on bail and probably only get 10 years probation on a murder charge. He agreed with me.
Are there actual examples of this occurring? I keep seeing people using this talking point but I’m personally unaware of instances where it actually occurred.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:22 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Are there actual examples of this occurring? I keep seeing people using this talking point but I’m personally unaware of instances where it actually occurred.
Here’s one I remembered from last week. It happens quite often.

https://alphanewsmn.com/plea-bargain...-%C2%BD-years/

Old 12-22-2020, 11:11 AM

These lawyers go into some details about how they were able to keep their client out of prison through a plea bargain. She was a drug dealer who sold the fentanyl that killed the victim. She committed 3rd degree murder but got probation.

https://arechigo-stokka.com/blog/cli...murder-charge/

Old 12-27-2020, 09:48 AM

1,052 posts, read 453,184 times
Minneapolis experienced the most destructive riots seen in the US since 1992 Los Angeles. Los Angeles, unlike Minneapolis, is a large world-class metropolis that attracts talent and investment from all over. It was able to recover fast.

Detroit, on the other hand, never recovered from the 1967 riots to this day. In size and importance both globally and locally, Minneapolis is far more like Detroit (even smaller actually), despite what arrogant Twin Cities resident may think of their city. Thus, it is entirely plausible to suggest that Minneapolis will simply go the way of Detroit, the George Floyd riots simply catalyzing a process of civic decline and rampant crime that is already going off the charts in MPLS. Most people are surprised to hear that Minneapolis is more dangerous than Chicago, on average, but it's true.

So no, I don't think Minneapolis will recover anytime soon. Especially not with "defund the police" and other garbage that came out of Minneapolis and its circus of a council.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Minneapolis experienced the most destructive riots seen in the US since 1992 Los Angeles. Los Angeles, unlike Minneapolis, is a large world-class metropolis that attracts talent and investment from all over. It was able to recover fast.

Detroit, on the other hand, never recovered from the 1967 riots to this day. In size and importance both globally and locally, Minneapolis is far more like Detroit (even smaller actually), despite what arrogant Twin Cities resident may think of their city. Thus, it is entirely plausible to suggest that Minneapolis will simply go the way of Detroit, the George Floyd riots simply catalyzing a process of civic decline and rampant crime that is already going off the charts in MPLS. Most people are surprised to hear that Minneapolis is more dangerous than Chicago, on average, but it's true.

So no, I don't think Minneapolis will recover anytime soon. Especially not with "defund the police" and other garbage that came out of Minneapolis and its circus of a council.
Most posts here that bring up Detroit are ill-informed and this one is no exception.

Detroit’s issues pre-dated the 1967 riots and its decline had more to do with the fall of the US auto industry than anything else. In the 1950s, Detroit was the 5th largest city in the US and #1 in per capita income. It’s now the 24th largest city and the Detroit metro area ranks 47th by per capita income, so their decline was long and hard.

But Detroit is bouncing back and is the only major city than didn’t experience extensive riots this year. They have a competent mayor and police chief and aren’t experiencing the huge increase in crime that we’re seeing in Minneapolis.

Minneapolis would be lucky to go the way Detroit is going now.

Last edited by Glenfield; 12-27-2020 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-28-2020, 06:29 PM

1,052 posts, read 453,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Most posts here that bring up Detroit are ill-informed and this one is no exception.

Detroit’s issues pre-dated the 1967 riots and its decline had more to do with the fall of the US auto industry than anything else. In the 1950s, Detroit was the 5th largest city in the US and #1 in per capita income. It’s now the 24th largest city and the Detroit metro area ranks 47th by per capita income, so their decline was long and hard.

But Detroit is bouncing back and is the only major city than didn’t experience extensive riots this year. They have a competent mayor and police chief and aren’t experiencing the huge increase in crime that we’re seeing in Minneapolis.

Minneapolis would be lucky to go the way Detroit is going now.
But it only took Detroit 50 years to start a recovery. Additionally, the riots accelerated Detroit's decline, but that doesn't mean in any way they can't be the catalyst for decline. 1500 businesses were damaged or looted in Minnie alone. "Defund the police" and increasing crime certainly isn't a draw for more business, the fact is businesses go where it is safe because that's one less cost to worry about.

So while riots may have accelerated an already declining Detroit, they could easily have started a decline for Minneapolis. And honestly, Minneapolis deserves every bit of the decline and the crime after what it allowed to happen on that night of May 27, 2020. Could've called in the guard and put an end to it in minutes, but they didn't...

Old 12-28-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
But it only took Detroit 50 years to start a recovery. Additionally, the riots accelerated Detroit's decline, but that doesn't mean in any way they can't be the catalyst for decline. 1500 businesses were damaged or looted in Minnie alone. "Defund the police" and increasing crime certainly isn't a draw for more business, the fact is businesses go where it is safe because that's one less cost to worry about.

So while riots may have accelerated an already declining Detroit, they could easily have started a decline for Minneapolis. And honestly, Minneapolis deserves every bit of the decline and the crime after what it allowed to happen on that night of May 27, 2020. Could've called in the guard and put an end to it in minutes, but they didn't...
No one is defunding the Minneapolis Police Dept. There was a 5% budget cut.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:40 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
I don't think it will. I've been downtown Minneapolis a few times in the last few years and the nightlife was already declining until the Fentanyl Floyd incident.

The City Council has to be one of the worst in America.

You know they have an "autonomous zone" in South Minneapolis? I want to feel bad for that area, until I found out their elected council member is Jenkins. Maybe the lowest IQ council member in the history of the city. It's hard to feel sorry for the lawlessness that those poor residents are dealing with with a representative like Jenkins.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I don't think it will. I've been downtown Minneapolis a few times in the last few years and the nightlife was already declining until the Fentanyl Floyd incident.

The City Council has to be one of the worst in America.

You know they have an "autonomous zone" in South Minneapolis? I want to feel bad for that area, until I found out their elected council member is Jenkins. Maybe the lowest IQ council member in the history of the city. It's hard to feel sorry for the lawlessness that those poor residents are dealing with with a representative like Jenkins.
I live in Andrea Jenkins’ ward and she is actually one of the more reasonable members of the Minneapolis city council. She voted against the massive $87 million cut to the MPD budget, supports local businesses, is generally responsive to constituent inquiries, and isn’t a hard line ideologue like Ellison, Cunningham, Gordon or Bender. We could do worse.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:41 PM

542 posts, read 448,867 times
Quote:
Since this site is called city data, let's look at some data.

.................................................. ................................Detroit....vs..Min neapolis
Population........................................ ...........................670,031......429,606
Owner-occupied housing unit rate...................................47.2%...... ..47.2%
Median value of owner-occupied housing units.................$49,200.......$251,600
Median selected monthly owner costs -with a mortgage.....$1,099 .......$1,714
Median selected monthly owner costs -without a mortgage.$451..........$643
Median gross rent.............................................. ............$824..........$1,027
Bachelor's degree or higher............................................ .15.3% .......50.4%
With a disability, under age 65 years, percent....................15.3%........8.9%
Persons without health insurance, under age 65 years.........9.6..............7.2
Median household income............................................ ..$30,894.......$62,583
Per capita income............................................ .............$18,621.......$38,808
Persons in poverty........................................... ..............35%............19.1%

We can compare the cities, but there is really no reasonable similarites between the cities except for the home ownership rate statistic. The medium value of Minneapolis homes is 5 times greater than Detroit and household and per capita income are twice as much in Minneapolis. The people with bachelors or higher is 3x greater in Minneapolis. If you wanted to find a similiar area, I would suggest the city of Milwaukee, but even there, Milwaukee probably out performs Detroit.

Crime. Detroit had 261 murders last year. The whole minnesota had 117 (the second highest in 10 years). So, the population of 670,000 has bit more than 2x the total murders of the entire state of 5.8 million. Violent crime is double per 100,000 than minneapolis. Detroit wishes it had our "problems".

Even with the recent spike in crime, Minneapolis will have a far lower murder rate and crime rate than Detroit and it won't even be close.

Only a person with a complete lack of understanding of basic statistics would try to draw similarites between the two cities. Clearly, those posters who want to draw parallels between the two cities have either a personal failing in math or the system failed to provide basic statistical education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul