Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:37 PM

38 posts, read 144,214 times

Advertisements

I am a Florida native and want to move into Minneapolis. Whats up with these hot summers? You guys have the coldest metropolitan weather in the US and now your telling me the summers are as hot as Florida? This issue is really holding me back from moving. I have read all recent threads but still just don't understand. Please help.
I think people stress making friends in MN to much. I am very social and have no doubt I will make friends quick. Just fill all your free time with multiple social groups or common interest clubs. I will deal with the winters if I can get cool summers. I'm hoping that a Minnesotian's idea of a hot summer is different from a Floridian's. We have high humidity too. I feel like an iguana under a heat lamp almost year round:smack I Just want to escape the brutal heat forever...and no, I'm not moving to Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
There are some Florida natives who post here regularly, and I'm sure that one of them will give you a more detailed answer. I haven't been to Florida in the summer, but have a hard time believing that a Minneapolis summer even compares. Minneapolis can get hot and humid, but compared to places like DC in the summer (the humidist place I've lived, and I would guess Florida, or parts of Florida, are worse) Minneapolis is far, far better. If nothing else, the really awful hot and humid days in Minneapolis don't go on for as long. But yes, Minneapolis can get hot and humid in the summer, but not FL hot and humid. I think the reason people make such a big deal about it is because many people elsewhere assume that MN is cold in the summer, too, so Minnesotans emphasize the summers to counteract the misperception that it tops out at 50 degrees or something. If you're looking for cool, temperate summers you're looking in the wrong place, although by comparision to Florida it's probably going to feel pretty good, and at least the months of potential high heat and humidity are bracketed by nice springs and falls.

The funny thing is that whenever it gets really hot and humid there is inevitably some newscaster who goes and on about how "nice" the weather is - to each his own, I guess. To some extent, though, the drastic contrasts in the various seasons keeps things interesting.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 06-20-2009 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 08:12 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
Hello - MN summers are no where near as hot or as FL. We get a week or maybe 2 of high 90s-low 100s in JUly with high humidity (70-80%). This year we have had "odd" weather - just like all over the US - where we've had high 80-low 90s in June for 1 or two days and then it cools off. Ex: Today 89 (50% humidity) - tomorrow 78 (humidity = ? - it's going to rain)
Some summers we get lots of rain and the recent summers they say we're in a drought - although, it's been raining quite regularly lately. Weather is just goofier, but from what I'm hearing in the news, ours is more stable than many areas of the US.

I guess the best way for you to measure is to do a day by day compare on the weather site.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 PM

989 posts, read 2,962,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic220 View Post
I am a Florida native and want to move into Minneapolis. Whats up with these hot summers? You guys have the coldest metropolitan weather in the US and now your telling me the summers are as hot as Florida? This issue is really holding me back from moving. I have read all recent threads but still just don't understand. Please help.
I think people stress making friends in MN to much. I am very social and have no doubt I will make friends quick. Just fill all your free time with multiple social groups or common interest clubs. I will deal with the winters if I can get cool summers. I'm hoping that a Minnesotian's idea of a hot summer is different from a Floridian's. We have high humidity too. I feel like an iguana under a heat lamp almost year round:smack I Just want to escape the brutal heat forever...and no, I'm not moving to Alaska.
My wife was born and raised in FL and move here 10 years ago. She just went down there yesterday and when she called she was saying how hot it was. Yes we get some hot days here and some hot and humid days too, but they are largely limited to Mid June to Mid August and it is not like every day in those months is over 90 with high humidity. I think is is on averae about 20 days over 90 per year. People here have been know to whine about the heat when it gets over 75, so there is a different standard in my opinion.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:00 PM

38 posts, read 144,214 times
Clifford63:
"People here have been know to whine about the heat when it gets over 75, so there is a different standard in my opinion."
Exactly Cliff. Thats what I was thinking. Remember Minnesotians, I have been living on a hot beach my whole life. I think your "hot summers" are like our winter days around 3:00 pm. Feels like 85 degrees or hotter with the humidity. I could be wrong. Thank all of you for your information. This sight is great and its helping me decide between two major cities right now.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:02 PM

164 posts, read 334,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic220
You guys have the coldest metropolitan weather in the US and now your telling me the summers are as hot as Florida?
You should also remember that MN is not near the ocean; or temps will fluctuate through the year far more than a coastal place. I think the hottest record in MN is 114 degrees and coldest -60 degrees F. Anyways, in the summer I don't think MN is as consistently hot as Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic220
I'm hoping that a Minnesotian's idea of a hot summer is different from a Floridian's.
Yep, pretty much anything over 70 is too hot for me.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:35 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,803,481 times
Hi, we just moved from S. Fl and although I am already complaining about how hot yesterday was (86) and last Sunday - I was able to spend 4 hours at the zoo in this weather and walk for 1/2 hour without passing out of heat - also I never broke a sweat. All this is to say - there is absolutely no comparison. Its warm - not hot and the evenings are really pleasant. Also - you dont wake up to 87 degrees and 90 percent humidity - which is a welcome treat. Dont let the summers here hold you back - come on up!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:18 AM

605 posts, read 1,843,386 times
I dont live in MN and have never been there, but i like looking at weather. Miami has higher average temps in the summer but minneapolis extreme high is much higher (but then it also has much cooler summer temps). I think the heat comes sporadically and doesnt last too long (by october you'll probably need a coat). And if its warm you could just go up north to a lake, which is much cooler.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:28 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Hi, we just moved from S. Fl and although I am already complaining about how hot yesterday was (86) and last Sunday - I was able to spend 4 hours at the zoo in this weather and walk for 1/2 hour without passing out of heat - also I never broke a sweat. All this is to say - there is absolutely no comparison. Its warm - not hot and the evenings are really pleasant. Also - you dont wake up to 87 degrees and 90 percent humidity - which is a welcome treat. Dont let the summers here hold you back - come on up!

--" there is absolutely no comparrison "------sums it up.

My son was up to MN from Pensacola a few years ago and was marveling at the weather in June. He said----" I wish we had a June like this"

I told him--" you probably do but it's called April in Florida "

Old 06-22-2009, 03:40 PM

559 posts, read 1,324,320 times
Today, where I am at in Southern Minnesota it is 98 Degrees, Dewpoint 72. Heat index 109.
Same tomorrow, but I think its supposed to cool down into the 80's next week. Average for this time of year is 85.
People should know that Southern Minnesota is often a world apart from the stereotypical Northern Minnesota when it comes to weather and climate (If your in southern Minnesota you might as well be in Missouri or Kentucky with the heat and humidity in the summer). Northern Minnesota summers will probably fit you the best. It can get dang hot in Southern Minnesota. Canada is also nice, but can get ridiculously cold in the winter.
(Why not Barrow, Alaska. 30's and 40's in the summer, -50 in the Winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul