Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2006, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,589 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm moving to Elk River next week, and I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to move there too but he thinks it's too far, too high of taxes, and too small of a town. Everytime we go there to see our house I love the town more and more. I tell him how there is a great mix of new and historic, the light rail is expected by 2009 for commuting, and eventhough taxes are higher you get alot more home for the buck.
Please if you know anything you like about Elk River please let me know. For my friend and for us since we are new to the area.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 10:30 AM

102 posts, read 622,659 times
Well, it really depends on what kind of place you like. Personally, I don't like Elk River at all, but I've got some friends who live there and like it a lot. I've also got some friends there who can't wait to get out. Elk River has about 20,000 people. It is on the Mississippi River in Sherburne County. It has a historical downtown occupying a few blocks. As far as housing opportunities, it's good. It has old houses, somewhat old houses, somewhat new houses, new houses, lots for sale, and some mixed apartments, and some pretty new townhomes. There's houses in the town there, and houses in the country there. The "big" stores there are: Target, Wal-Mart, Cub Foods, Home Depoe, Menards, Coborns, as well as a bunch of medium and small stores. Elk River has a somewhat famous hockey team, which is a really good team, and 3 guys who graduated from Elk River High. Elk River also has a reputation for being a big meth town. I see Elk River like this: too small, too far out, kind of run down, oh yeah-and I don't know why but it seems almost every time I go there, it seems like it's overcast there, I don't know why.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweather! View Post
Elk River has a somewhat famous hockey team, which is a really good team, and 3 guys who graduated from Elk River High.
I meant 3 guys who graduated from Elk River High made it into the NFL.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:15 PM

336 posts, read 514,213 times
Quote:
NFL or NHL? You seemed to be talking about their hockey team before, not their football team.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
GOSH!!! I kept messing up! Okay, 3 guys who graduated from Elk River High School ended up in the NHL-hockey. THAT'S what I meant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota