Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:59 AM

39 posts, read 57,286 times

Advertisements

if you make like 30,000? That is a big deterrent to moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 12:54 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,898,143 times
IDK...guess so. With that 7% rate though you don't have to pay for good, private schooling, which is practically priceless.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:28 PM

455 posts, read 639,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
IDK...guess so. With that 7% rate though you don't have to pay for good, private schooling, which is practically priceless.
Non sequitur (logic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-09-2011, 01:32 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,320,280 times
it's worse then that..

$0+ 5% $22,770+ 7% $74,780+ 8%

There are people that work here in Brookings, SD while living just over the border in MN. Doing that cheapens real estate prices but adds $2694 to their tax bill every year (assuming a 45k income) , plus the cost of commuting. Not worth it to me. I live 6 minutes, or 2.5 miles, from work.

No state income tax here in SD, let's hope it stays that way. In my opinion labor should be taxed less then capital and the speculative sort of paper pushing the ultra rich love to engage in, but it seems like it's always the other way around, with the middle class worker paying better then their fair share, while the ultra rich, and the poor, pay disproportionately less. It's not like giving businesses tax breaks has stopped them from outsourcing, they have for the past 20 years, and continue to rather aggressively. It's all about the bottom line, the stock price.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:00 PM

39 posts, read 57,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
it's worse then that..

$0+ 5% $22,770+ 7% $74,780+ 8%

There are people that work here in Brookings, SD while living just over the border in MN. Doing that cheapens real estate prices but adds $2694 to their tax bill every year (assuming a 45k income) , plus the cost of commuting. Not worth it to me. I live 6 minutes, or 2.5 miles, from work.

No state income tax here in SD, let's hope it stays that way. In my opinion labor should be taxed less then capital and the speculative sort of paper pushing the ultra rich love to engage in, but it seems like it's always the other way around, with the middle class worker paying better then their fair share, while the ultra rich, and the poor, pay disproportionately less. It's not like giving businesses tax breaks has stopped them from outsourcing, they have for the past 20 years, and continue to rather aggressively. It's all about the bottom line, the stock price.
I am from Florida and I don't think I would want an extra 7% to be taken out of my income. That is a lot for Minneapolis. Probably one of the reasons why Florida adds people almost every year.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:04 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,320,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retinoid View Post
I am from Florida and I don't think I would want an extra 7% to be taken out of my income. That is a lot for Minneapolis. Probably one of the reasons why Florida adds people almost every year.

that and it's warm there Perhaps too warm for me, but I'd settle for a place that's at least in the 40's in the winter or has chinook winds that break up the bitter cold from time to time, something, like THIS

History : Weather Underground

Old 07-09-2011, 02:27 PM

302 posts, read 728,415 times
When I moved here from California my income tax when up. So did my quality of life. You get what you pay for. The lowest taxed states have the lowest quality of life (but let's not get into politics).

Old 07-09-2011, 02:34 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,733,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
In my opinion labor should be taxed less then capital and the speculative sort of paper pushing the ultra rich love to engage in, but it seems like it's always the other way around, with the middle class worker paying better then their fair share, while the ultra rich, and the poor, pay disproportionately less.
Despite what it "seems like" to you, the facts are quite different. The top 1% of earn 20% of all income but pay 38% of all income taxes. The top 5% pay of all 58% income taxes, more than the remaining 95%!! The issues get clouded when you use your feelings since two people may never agree on what's "fair."

The Tax Foundation - Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data

Last edited by Glenfield; 07-09-2011 at 02:44 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,770,794 times
Keep in mind that income tax is only one part of a larger puzzle. There are other forms of taxes, and of tax breaks. We don't pay taxes on food or clothes, for example, and renters (at least those making less than 60k or so) get a nice renter property tax refund that's (I think) 15% of rent paid. Not sure what the current status is of all those programs, though, but I don't think for many people, particularly those making $30,000, then income tax alone would be enough to make or break a decision to move to the state.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:36 PM

455 posts, read 639,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
When I moved here from California my income tax when up. So did my quality of life. You get what you pay for. The lowest taxed states have the lowest quality of life
Non sequitur (logic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota