Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times

Advertisements

Dayton: No pre-Thanksgiving special session for Vikes stadium | StarTribune.com

Seriously, who are these state legislatures who are not willing to figure this out? I need to know so I can forever eliminate them from vote consideration in future elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Dayton: No pre-Thanksgiving special session for Vikes stadium | StarTribune.com

Seriously, who are these state legislatures who are not willing to figure this out? I need to know so I can forever eliminate them from vote consideration in future elections.
I'll take a wild guess in that it has something to do with politics

Old 11-03-2011, 05:52 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
to get rid of the big green bay rivalry and make minnesotans choose between the packers or bears just for california to have a 4th NFL team.. on the other hand, supporting the construction of a new stadium when the old one is just fine, and to give taxpayer money to support a large moneymaking empire... it's kind of insulting to ask for taxpayer money when they make so much money as is, the NFL... but I guess these wealthy billionaires will suck every last cent that they can.

NFL Projecting Record Profits For 2011 - Bleeding Green Nation

Since I'm a packer fan, I don't care either way. It would mean seeing every packer game out here in South Dakota, and not having any preempted by the vikings. I think it would be a loss for the midwest though. Profitwise, they'd probably do better in LA. No doubt the twin cities would lose some revenue from people driving to their games.. plus, like it or not, having an NFL team in your city is like.. a badge of honor of sorts.. through of course many couldn't care less.

Last edited by sholomar; 11-03-2011 at 06:08 AM..

Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
I honestly dont even care for football but i still really want the Vikings to stay in MN. I feel like losing the vikings will be a huge lose for the state. Plus i like the idea of the stadium attracting a Major League Soccer Expansion Team!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
on the other hand, supporting the construction of a new stadium when the old one is just fine.
Per the vikings.com website:

Quote:
The Vikings have only a few games remaining on the lease at the Metrodome, and team officials have been firm they will not sign a lease extension without a stadium solution in place.

The team currently ranks at the bottom of the NFL in stadium revenues due to the challenges of the Metrodome. Since 1992, 28 of the 32 NFL cities have either built new stadiums or significantly renovated their existing facilities, making it difficult for the Vikings to remain competitive. While the Metrodome has been a great asset for the State of Minnesota for 29 years, the reality is the facility is obsolete for use for NFL games. It no longer provides fans with the experience they expect or deserve, and because of its revenue challenges, the Vikings receive subsidies from other teams (between $15-20 million), including smaller markets like Kansas City and Green Bay, each year in order to compete. Divisional opponents Green Bay, Chicago and Detroit all bring in approximately $30 million more annually than the Vikings as a result of their stadiums, making it more difficult for the Vikings to compete.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 PM

99 posts, read 214,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Per the vikings.com website:
Financially obsolete...I'm not saying they shouldn't get one, but to say that the owners deserve to make more money is silly. Obviously the NFL has a system set up so that even though we are so apparently obsolete, we can still be competitive, so why should a new stadium be built...simply so the Wilf's don't have to go on stadium welfare? Poor guys

Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,658,770 times
If Wilf wants the Vikings franchise to be competitive, he could have them win some games for a change...

Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,237,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
on the other hand, supporting the construction of a new stadium when the old one is just fine
Just fine? Have you been to the Metrodome for a Vikings game? It is a terrible experience compared to other stadiums. Target Field seats 24,607 less people, but has 219 more toilets. The concourses are ridiculously narrow and the crazy long bathroom lines and concession lines in the narrow concourses further block the flow of people walking. Concession choices are very basic compared to any newer stadium. The luxury suites are outdated and there is too few of them considering the amount of money they bring. Sports Illustrated always ranks the Metrodome in last place for tailgating.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,145,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Just fine? Have you been to the Metrodome for a Vikings game? It is a terrible experience compared to other stadiums. Target Field seats 24,607 less people, but has 219 more toilets. The concourses are ridiculously narrow and the crazy long bathroom lines and concession lines in the narrow concourses further block the flow of people walking. Concession choices are very basic compared to any newer stadium. The luxury suites are outdated and there is too few of them considering the amount of money they bring. Sports Illustrated always ranks the Metrodome in last place for tailgating.
+1

The metrodome is a complete P.O.S! I don't go with free tickets. They should build an outdoor stadium which would cut the costs by at least a third.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
+1

The metrodome is a complete P.O.S! I don't go with free tickets. They should build an outdoor stadium which would cut the costs by at least a third.
As simple as it sounds I think it would not be financially practical to do so. I think Dayton has said that he won't support a roofless design needing the state's participation because of the limits that it would place on being able to schedule events all year long. Iv'e seen cost estimates for a roof that would add between $100M and $150M on the most recent designs. A retractable roof can be added for another $50M - $60M on top of that. One Super Bowl or Final Four event held there would likely recover most of the expense of including a roof. You would also have difficulty convincing trade shows, conventions, concert promoters and other event planners of even scheduling summer events that could possibly be rained out or otherwise disrupted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota