Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 12:50 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,716,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llp_4&1Strings View Post
I couldn't disagree more. With that mentality, why should anyone ever want to be in a relationship if communication is useless? Relationships RELY on communication to be successful!

As long as men are actively listening and truly want to understand, they can and will. I'm not saying women will always communicate perfectly. Not at all! But communication is a two-sided endeavor. If there's confusion, guys should ask questions in order to get to he heart of the matter as well, and they should WANT to. There's nothing better in a relationship than the peace that comes from being understood and having matters resolved. How will guys know what women like/appreciate/want unless women communicate it to them? And how will girls know if their guys don't tell them? Hence, why I recommend her communicating with her guy. This matter of communication becomes even more important in this day and age where men are constantly on edge about what they do and say. Things that were once considered "common courtesy," like opening doors and treating women like ladies, they are now vilified for. I'd argue they need communication more than girls do!

If this gentleman loves her in return as much as she appears to, why wouldn't he want to understand or try to accommodate her in these areas? Women really aren't that complicated you guys.
Why does he have to change? Why can’t she accept him for who he is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 09:47 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,452,261 times
The OP doesn't seem to be participating much here. I think we've been duped.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 2,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Why does he have to change? Why can’t she accept him for who he is?

I never said he has to become a completely different person. The issue here is that it sounds like she's uncertain about his feelings and that he doesn't know how to act or speak in order to assure her. Wouldn't he want to change a bit in order to let her know how much he cares about her? Wouldn't any of us? Adapting would be a major benefit to him in this situation -it helps him grow and earns him the heart of a girl who adores him by removing all worry and doubt from her mind. He's not losing anything, only gaining. Is that not worth a little change?

To clarify... The same can be said for both parties, adapting doesn't just apply to guys. And I feel it's important to point out that there's a vast difference between someone adapting to show their feelings more and another person just accepting everything about someone. I would argue that the latter is actually more dangerous. That's how people end up in toxic/abusive relationships.

Last edited by llp_4&1Strings; 05-25-2019 at 03:38 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I never said he has to become a completely different person. The issue here is that it sounds like she's uncertain about his feelings and that he doesn't know how to act or speak in order to assure her. Wouldn't he want to change a bit in order to let her know how much he cares about her? Wouldn't any of us? Adapting would be a major benefit to him in this situation -it helps him grow and earns him the heart of a girl who adores him by removing all worry and doubt from her mind. He's not losing anything, only gaining. Is that not worth a little change?

To clarify... The same can be said for both parties, adapting doesn't just apply to guys. And I feel it's important to point out that there's a vast difference between someone adapting to show their feelings more and another person just accepting everything about someone. I would argue that the latter is actually more dangerous. That's how people end up in toxic/abusive relationships.
I was with you up until the last two sentences.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:31 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,094,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip54 View Post
Jordan
He's from the Twin Cities metro and he's never seen a Hispanic person? That's...completely unbelievable, honestly.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 AM

540 posts, read 1,097,369 times
Eh, I really wouldn't consider Jordan as part of the metro area, even though it technically is. It definitely has a small rural town feel. My wife has family there so we go there several times a year and I've never seen anything but white people, and for them going to the "big city" means Lakeville. Most of them find Minneapolis scary. So if the OP's boyfriend is a younger guy, it's totally believable that they've never encountered a Hispanic person.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:04 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,603,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
Eh, I really wouldn't consider Jordan as part of the metro area, even though it technically is. It definitely has a small rural town feel. My wife has family there so we go there several times a year and I've never seen anything but white people, and for them going to the "big city" means Lakeville. Most of them find Minneapolis scary. So if the OP's boyfriend is a younger guy, it's totally believable that they've never encountered a Hispanic person.
So, you are saying that the boy friend does not travel anywhere because he is younger and from Jordan MN?

There is NO WAY he has never encountered an Hispanic person. NO WAY AT ALL. I do not think there is a single person unless very new born young that has not ever been to MPLS> least of all anyone from Jordan, so yes he has seen Hispanic people.

The boy friend sounds like from the stuff she has said about him, is that he likes to go to rodeos, is into pick up trucks and mud runs, likes to hunt and fish, get dirty, swear and drink, and talks a lot about tools and man stuff. I do not think he will move to NYC though.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
So, you are saying that the boy friend does not travel anywhere because he is younger and from Jordan MN?

There is NO WAY he has never encountered an Hispanic person. NO WAY AT ALL. I do not think there is a single person unless very new born young that has not ever been to MPLS> least of all anyone from Jordan, so yes he has seen Hispanic people.
I think the inference that the boyfriend is claiming to have never seen a Latina before is incorrect. It is, at least, a very ungenerous view of what the OP said. The is the line from the OP.

Quote:
He says I’m exotic because he never saw anyone like me where he grew up.
Now it is a fact that Latinos are relatively rare in Jordan as they are only 5% of the population. So my interpretation is that he’s saying she exotic— rare— not just because she is ethnically different but because she is SO beautiful— a rare beauty— exotic— and he has never seen anyone like her before. He is saying she is extremely special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
The boy friend sounds like from the stuff she has said about him, is that he likes to go to rodeos, is into pick up trucks and mud runs, likes to hunt and fish, get dirty, swear and drink, and talks a lot about tools and man stuff. I do not think he will move to NYC though.
This is your opinion and your stereotype but there is absolutely nothing in what the OP has written to support any of this. Just like there is no discussion of moving to NYC until you imagined it.

Last edited by Glenfield; 05-29-2019 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-01-2019, 11:17 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,603,806 times
Quote:
Seems to me you should be talking to your guy about all this, especially if you like him so much. Communication is key in a relationship. Like Tyryztoll says, more than likely he's unaware of how he's acting. So talk to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj5LXa-C5Kw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyqdVMurdb4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota