Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2022, 02:12 PM

314 posts, read 546,980 times

Advertisements

I purchased a car out of state (MA) and hold a Minnesota license. Is there a way to register my vehicle without returning to Minnesota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 04:34 PM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I purchased a car out of state (MA) and hold a Minnesota license. Is there a way to register my vehicle without returning to Minnesota?
I’d call a DMV in MN and ask them. Since covid they'd probably be more willing to do it, if they wouldn’t before. I have no clue if do or don’t allow it.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:52 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Is your legal physical residence in MN? That's where the vehicle registration must be tied to. Your profile says you live in MD. According to the MPS/Driver and Vehicle Services (you can look up the details yourself) you can't register a newly purchased out-of-state car by web/mail. You need to present the vehicle's current documentation/inspection in person. If you're going to stay in MD longer than that state's grace period (again, look it up for yourself...most allow 30 days), why not register the car there? You'd save yourself a DVS/inspection trip to MN. What you save by NOT making that trip to MN might pay the cost of registration if/when you move the car back there. Only you can decide how many knots you're willing to tie yourself into trying to beat this or that state's car registration-inspection requirements.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-22-2022 at 01:36 PM..

Old 02-22-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Is your legal physical residence in MN? That's where the vehicle registration must be tied to. Your profile says you live in MD. According to the MPS/Driver and Vehicle Services (you can look up the details yourself) you can't register a newly purchased out-of-state car by web/mail. You need to present the vehicle's current documentation/inspection in person. If you're going to stay in MD longer than that state's grace period (again, look it up for yourself...most allow 30 days), why not register the car there? You'd save yourself a DVS/inspection trip to MN. What you save by NOT making that trip to MN might pay the cost of registration if/when you move the car back there. Only you can decide how many knots you're willing to tie yourself into trying to beat this or that state's car registration-inspection requirements.
I'm living in my car. Moved out of the place I was renting in Minnesota a few weeks ago. I'm actually in CT.

Old 02-22-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I'm living in my car. Moved out of the place I was renting in Minnesota a few weeks ago. I'm actually in CT.
So you have no legal physical address? You'll need a physical address to register and insure a car. PO Box addresses won't cut it for most places unless you can prove that there is no mail delivery to a physical home address (many very small towns don't have home mail delivery...but the houses still have legal road addresses that are used for insurance and registration purposes). Is someone receiving/holding your mail for you? Would they be willing to let you use their address temporarily?

Old 02-22-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
So you have no legal physical address? You'll need a physical address to register and insure a car. Is someone receiving/holding your mail for you?
Old roommate at Minnesota address. Also have a P.O. box.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Old roommate at Minnesota address. Also have a P.O. box.
As already mentioned the PO box address probably won't be acceptable for car title/registration.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:15 PM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
As already mentioned the PO box address probably won't be acceptable for car title/registration.
So if you chose to live in your vehicle full time and don’t have any friends or family or like people, the states and insurance companies say no to it? Or what do others in this situation do? I’ll have to ask some YouTube people via comments.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
So if you chose to live in your vehicle full time and don’t have any friends or family or like people, the states and insurance companies say no to it? Or what do others in this situation do? I’ll have to ask some YouTube people via comments.
Can't answer that question as I've never lived out of a car. Some of them probably do have their mail sent to someone else's address and go pick it up periodically. I'll bet a lot of folks like this don't have car insurance so that sort of takes care of that inconvenient problem. They may be skirting under the radar hoping they don't get pulled over and asked to produce a current state registration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota