Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 05:01 PM

166 posts, read 156,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Evidently the tradition in the south of Shucking and Jiving outsiders has reached the level of a fine art. And some of us are darn good at it!
Like in the south when they say "Well Bless You're heart". That makes me afraid of the South lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Well, you would probably be looking for mountains and cold weather in Florida next.
Not a bad idea....

Quote:
But enough of that...if you are looking for a place cheap to live and with real "mountains" I would check out extreme northeastern TN. No state income tax, cost of living low (not as quite low as MS, but close), 4 season, but still mild, winter. The only thing is it seems everyone and his brother is also moving up there.
Thank you.

Old 09-30-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
So none of you guys have been to the ski slope on the north face of Woodall? The black diamond trails are awesome! There's an REI and kickin' lodge! Reminds me of Tahoe (without the Lake). Dress warm, it's cold up there in the winter.
I live near Tahoe right now on the Calif side

Old 09-30-2021, 05:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
If you want a more moderate climate but located in the southeastern quarter, look into the tail end of the Appalachian mountains - the Great Smoky Mountains, that cover eastern Tennessee, northern Alabama, n. Georgia, and the western Carolinas.

If you are financially independent or on pensions, it's not too bad. But if you need jobs - hmmmm. That may make things dicey.

(Watch "The Last of the Mohicans" filmed in the Great Smokies - for a sense of the geography.)

Another option is to be a liveaboard on a houseboat, upon the navigable rivers of the TVA. Then you can migrate with the seasons.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:53 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnProbation View Post
Wow. Nice location.
Somehow, even though I had visited 49 states and 15 foreign countries, I had never seen Lake Tahoe until about 4 years ago during a navy reunion in Reno.
I was just knocked out!

I can't think of a place in the deep south that could compete, except for a lower cost of living. That, we have.

Old 10-01-2021, 03:54 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnProbation View Post
I can't think of anywhere in the SE that's going to live up to Tahoe, so lower your expectations. The lower cost of living and more freedom may make up for it though.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:43 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
just mountains of sorrow

Old 10-01-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Wow. Nice location.
Somehow, even though I had visited 49 states and 15 foreign countries, I had never seen Lake Tahoe until about 4 years ago during a navy reunion in Reno.
I was just knocked out!
I can't think of a place in the deep south that could compete, except for a lower cost of living. That, we have.
i am glad you enjoyed it. It's really nice having Reno so close. Hopefully you had fun at the navy reunion.

We want to move for the lower cost of living and freedom. I would like to homestead to some degree. The world seems to be going to the birds. Even USPS cannot seem to deliver mail on time now and has informed us it will be a few days longer.

Our Governor just decided to force parents to vaccinate their children to be enrolled in Public School. I should've voted to boot Newsom out when I could. Instead, my bad, I remained undecided. No one cares that natural immunity is best and is proven in studies.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI_Dm3pj3dQ Vaccinate and it lasts for a while but you are more easily to be re-infected than if you just allow the disease to consume you to build up antibodies. For the elderly or sick, vaccination could be best.

All of the Cops around here, and the human trafficking of mentally ill people in Mental Health Court forced into Jail based treatment and denied a private attorney or the abilty to communicate out to obtain an attorney, well it's discouraging.

What is great here is the Mtn Bike Riding and skiing. However the cheapest is Boreal which is still $25 a nights so it adds up. I'd love to find a 3 bedroom 2 bath home for about 100k, fixer upper ok with a few strong springs.

Otherwise, we will be surely going off grid in California. House is 3/4 built but we ran out of $. If we moved there, no more house payment nor power bill. We'd be about an hour and 45 min from Tahoe and it would be much hotter but the two strong artesian springs on the property would provide a swimming pool/pond with constant water flow to raise fish for consumption and dog food. And to jump in when it's hot. We can buy a motor home and live in it for a while, sell this house for a small gain. We have a humongous house payment.

Jobs, that is key too. We'd still need to work so it would need to be somewhere within 30 min to a larger city/town.

Last edited by OnProbation; 10-01-2021 at 05:16 PM..

Old 10-01-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
I can't think of anywhere in the SE that's going to live up to Tahoe, so lower your expectations. The lower cost of living and more freedom may make up for it though.
Tahoe is great, the people are overall pretty nice. Yet.... it's still Commiefornia. I am sure if we moved the people would be very different so that would be the only downfall.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If you want a more moderate climate but located in the southeastern quarter, look into the tail end of the Appalachian mountains - the Great Smoky Mountains, that cover eastern Tennessee, northern Alabama, n. Georgia, and the western Carolinas.

If you are financially independent or on pensions, it's not too bad. But if you need jobs - hmmmm. That may make things dicey.

(Watch "The Last of the Mohicans" filmed in the Great Smokies - for a sense of the geography.)

Another option is to be a liveaboard on a houseboat, upon the navigable rivers of the TVA. Then you can migrate with the seasons.
Yes if it were only me, Appalachia here I come! That's what we can afford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi