Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2021, 11:22 PM

577 posts, read 564,201 times

Advertisements

I have a guess that the next two big growth areas of Metro Jackson will be ... Florence and Flora.

My reasons for Flora:
- Germantown school zone is almost filled out west of I-55. Families who want schools will have to move to the rest of the Madison Central school zone which runs from behind Annandale (and just west of the town of Livingston of Hwy 463) on over to Flora. The Flora part is quite a big area including on the west side of Hwy 49.

- I have also noticed that Clinton is growing quite a bit residentially going due north towards Hwy 49 and Flora. There is a remarkable place called Providence Hill Farm that feels like something out of Southern Living magazine or Kentucky horse country. This facility is almost directly north of Clinton's growing residential areas and immediately south of the Madison County line near Pochohontas, just southward from Flora.

- It seems to me that Clinton, Flora, and Ridgeland will all be growing towards the exact same spot, roughly at Pochohontas. Bridgewater in Ridgeland (gated subdivision w/ mansions near the Renaissance) presumably will keep moseying westward and slightly northward towards Lake Cavalier, in the direction of Pochohontas. The city of Ridgeland has already annexed all the way to the Hinds County line near Hwy 49. Flora will begin filling up with families needing schools and growing southward. And Clinton will continue growing northward towards the Madison County line along Hwy 49. I think this area collectively is set to be the "new Madison", and it's a pretty area.

For Florence:
- The new Hwy 49, expanded to be similar to Lakeland presumably, will zip commuters straight down to Florence, which is a pretty area, ultra-safe and has rather good schools. The commute to downtown and UMC area will be a straight shot.

- The land in that direction especially as you get to Piney Woods school and Mendenhall is picturesque (hills, thick pine forests). And somehow there is a happy feeling that occurs once you get past Florence that feels like you are on your way to Florida and the Coast.

If these predictions were to actually occur, the Metro Jackson map will be rather fascinating, with virtually a complete circle of quaint suburbs in each direction (Madison, Flowood/Rez, Brandon, Florence, Byram, Raymond, Clinton, and Flora. And, with Belhaven, Fondren, Eastover, and Downtown right in the center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 11:54 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
Is it really growth? Or just shifting around?

Is metro Jackson growing?

Old 11-09-2021, 12:23 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Is it really growth? Or just shifting around?

Is metro Jackson growing?
1.9% from 2010 to 2020, down from 7.2 before that, and 10.7 before that. But it doesn't matter, it'll always grow 'some', simply because it's the business and government center of the state. And, it's the only real urban core area in MS. So don't derail the thread with your doom and gloom.

Brickpatio, to your point, I think Flora is absolutely a boom town waiting to happen. But, it'll be like Madison's version of Pelahatchie, mainly well-off people trying to find some land and build. I don't know that the school system is great out that way is it? Does it feed into Madison Central? Probably going to be most private school kids in the area. If it feeds to MC, that gives it a real chance unlike Pelahatchie, which has its own system and doesn't feed into Brandon. Both areas have a private school and generally gets the rich kids in the County (Tri-County, East Rankin).

Florence will be an affordable place to live for many, for sure. But like others that come before it (Pearl, Richland, etc.) it attracts all types. How long will it stay nice?

Old 11-09-2021, 02:18 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,789,333 times
I’ve traveled Highway 49 many times in my life. I have never seen evidence of suburban sprawl heading from Jackson to Flora.

Old 11-09-2021, 05:37 PM

577 posts, read 564,201 times
Yes, Flora feeds into Madison Middle and Madison Central. Only the elementary is separate, however, as the Mannsdale elementary schools on 463 fill up, I imagine the district sooner or later will somehow shift students to Flora or build a new school etc.

Flora, the actual town, is beginning to see evidence of growth such as the Jackson butcher shop that moved out there. But what's interesting is that right at Flora's doorstep are the neighborhoods with 10 to 20 acres estates just 5 minutes outside Flora. This area is kind of the outer extent of the Madison/Hwy 463 growth area.

The lovely 'Town of Livingston' development which is at 463 and Hwy 22, is just minutes from Flora. So things are headed that way.

But the key is that Gluckstadt is quickly filling up, and Lake Caroline is actually in the Canton school district, which stretches westwards almost to the intersection of 463 and Hwy 22. This will force new developments (once growth in the metro returns at some point) to migrate along Hwy 22 towards Flora (for Madison schools). As a result, once Flora is discovered, I would expect people to start moving there in earnest, rather than just to the outer limits of Madison/463 growth area.

What sparked my theory was seeing the Providence Hill Farm facility just south of Flora, which literally is postcard beautiful (as is the surrounding countryside which reminds me of Kentucky horse country or areas outside Nashville) and also discovering that Clinton is actually growing, with upscale new residential areas going directly north in the direction of Providence Hill Farm, which is just under the Hinds/Madison County line en route to Flora.

It seems likely that at some point, critical mass will occur, the area with be discovered, and Clinton and Flora will start growing towards each other along Hwy 49.

The state needs to start preparing now by converting Hwy 49 into an expressway, all the way into Jackson at UMMC/Woodrow Wilson. I'd also like to see them convert West County Line Rd into an expressway from Hwy 49 to I-55N, then through Ridgeland (tearing down Northpark Mall), on to the Spillway over the Reservoir, than south parallel to Old Fannin Rd to connect with Airport Rd atLakeland... and down to I-20 in Brandon.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:40 PM

22 posts, read 20,756 times
I’d honestly say that the area between Gluckstadt and Canton will close up and Ridgeland will continue to grow and expand west. By 2050ish Ridgeland could make it to 40k possibly if it .expands to acquire more land

Old 12-24-2021, 09:04 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,895,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson2foco View Post
I’d honestly say that the area between Gluckstadt and Canton will close up and Ridgeland will continue to grow and expand west. By 2050ish Ridgeland could make it to 40k possibly if it .expands to acquire more land
Concur the heaviest growth will be toward Livingston.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:33 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,411,149 times
My mom lives west of Pocahontas. In fact, her house is directly across the street from the fence line of Providence Hill. I’ve heard a number of people over the years say that Flora is next. Some years ago, Flora was a candidate for an animal bio lab that was being relocated from Long Island that eventually went to Kansas. That would’ve been a catalyst for growth.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:58 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
Well, I know they keep throwing up subdivisions with decent sized houses/lots all over Brandon. And you also have people buying up chunks of land all over Pelahatchie, Pisgah and Puckett to build their "forever homes". I know one thing, to talk to the people around Rankin County, you'd think no other place exists in the world. Man these folks love outspend each other around here.

Now if they'd just let everybody sell liquor.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi