Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 05:22 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,902,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga2Ms View Post
I found Longleaf Trace, but it's a 44 mile trail. Is there a Hattiesburg subdivision with that name?
It's the trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I found a few homes on Realtor.com in the south end of Madison that are in my price range. Between 51 and Natchez Trace. They are in my price range. Are those iffy, or just older?
As long as it is a Madison address, it's good, but the house may be older and need updating/repairs. If it is a Ridgeland address it is still probably good, but Ridgeland has a few iffy (but not necessarily bad) areas.

Old 11-28-2021, 08:17 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,996,886 times
Get a realtor, go to either Brandon or Madison. Since you aren't worried about schools, and you want some land, you might look out into Rankin County too but you won't have the suburb amenities there as much. DO NOT buy in Jackson city limits, unless you've done extensive research and are sure you want that type of lifestyle. There is 1-2 decent (decent is being generous) areas, but it would be like living in College Park, GA if you are familiar with that.

Sorry, but you aren't going to find much in the way of the recreation you want. I found that out the hard way. However, the area is starting to see more trails pop up here and there, but generally you'll have to drive about 3 hours for any real hiking. Hunting and fishing is the big thing here. Gardening, etc. It's just flatter land as you get closer to the coast, like anywhere else. Brandon just opened up a hiking/biking area, and of course you always have the Natchez Trace over there in Ridgeland. I think they have some mountain biking trails there too.

Hattiesburg is smaller but is OK, it's a college town. As far as hurricanes, I think it gets 'some' effects but not much, unless it's Katrina level. I just went through my first one in the Jackson area this year (Ida), and it was little more than light rain and some wind when it got here.

I agree with you on the coast, it's a cool place, but it takes a different type to live there. It's not really my thing.

If you like older, more historic deals, check out Natchez.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:05 AM

107 posts, read 105,583 times
Default Byram

What do think of Byram?
We can drive a bit for recreation, but having a safe area with nearby grocery stores is essential.
Thank you.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:39 PM

580 posts, read 569,428 times
From what I can see, typical 2,000 square foot houses are going for about $300,000.

Everything in Madison County is very good, including Ridgeland, Madison, and Gluckstadt. The only part that is iffy is the far southeastern corner of Ridgeland near the Jackson city line, which is mostly apartments.

Everything in Rankin County is very good, including the Brandon/Reservoir area out Hwy 25 and the Brandon city, out I-20.

The city of Pearl is a nice, safe city but slightly more blue-collar oriented in parts and thus probably slightly more affordable. The city of Florence is kind of on the edge of being out in the country and has some new subdivisions and houses out in the country on acreage.

The city of Clinton is also very good. The town is pretty, safe, and affordable and highly recommended.

The city of Byram is also safe and nice and probably leans slightly more affordable.

All of these areas are incredibly safe, have easy access to shopping and healthcare, attractive, and relatively affordable. It probably just comes down to where you find a house that you like, and also your style. The richest areas are in parts of Ridgeland and Madison but there are really nice areas throughout.

As far as areas to avoid, basically that would be in the city limits of Jackson, except for the historic, in-town neighborhoods. However, based on your description I would recommend any of the suburbs listed above. They are all nice and have everything you have described. As another poster said, you just need to contact a realtor and go from there.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:35 PM

Have you narrowed it down any? Based on the information you have provided, I think the Hattiesburg area would be a good fit. I know nothing about medical care options on any of these places though.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:22 PM

107 posts, read 105,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Have you narrowed it down any? Based on the information you have provided, I think the Hattiesburg area would be a good fit. I know nothing about medical care options on any of these places though.
I like Hattiesburg or Brandon, but my wife isn't sure. We need to look around for a few days and see how it compares.
She asked me about grubhub and doordash for restaurant deliveries. I hadn't considered that. We have a huge selection in lil ol Canto, Ga.
Brandon probably offers more, it seems.

Old 12-11-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I like Hattiesburg or Brandon, but my wife isn't sure. We need to look around for a few days and see how it compares.
She asked me about grubhub and doordash for restaurant deliveries. I hadn't considered that. We have a huge selection in lil ol Canto, Ga.
Brandon probably offers more, it seems.
Plenty of food delivery in the Jxn metro, but I hear a lot of complaints. It may be better in H'burg as it is a college town with likely a bigger labor pool for drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi