Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 3,661 times

Advertisements

In 1975 Dad moved us from Beechwood Drive in the Norwood subdivision (Beasley Road) to Bounds Street, off Manhattan Road. I recently asked him why even though I already knew the answer. I won't repeat his language but he said he got a lot of heat from the neighbors for selling out. He told them sorry but you better get out now while you can. That old subdivision was Mayberry as anyone who grew up in the Hanging Moss area in the 60-70s could tell you. We eventually left Jackson for good in 78 and I witnessed Jackson's decline from afar. Jackson was what we called a garden spot during that era. The biggest crime I can remember was when that young girl Mona Biddie went missing in our area and everyone searched their garages for her. She was later found dead and the trial for her mother went national. I loved and miss the old Jackson. What a wonderful place to grow up. Here's my memory thread:

Shakey's Pizza
Broadmoor Baptist Church on Northside Drive
Capri Theater
Summer monster movie matinees at the Deville
Riding my bike to Briarwood Kmart
Woodland Hills Academy in the church building where I went from 2 to 9th grade
Riding 10 speeds from Manhattan area all the way to Jackson Mall
Morrisons Cafeteria on Old Canton Road
Hanging Moss Swim Club
eating Po Boys at Al's Half Shell downtown with my Dad who worked for South Central Bell
Cindys Fish Camp out by the airport
Seale Lily Ice Cream place at Triangle Mart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 08:15 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,099 times
So, circa 1975 to 1978, was Bounds Street really a better and safer location than the Beasley/Hanging Moss Road area? I would have assumed that would have been just a lateral move at best, though I have no idea what those areas might have looked like in the late 70s.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:59 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,099 times
It's no great movie and there's no great artistic statement being made in this movie but I'm reminded of a scene in the 1982 very low-budget exploitation/action thriller "Vigilante" with Robert Forster and Fred Williamson. Robert Forster's character and Fred Williamson's character are standing on a rooftop, looking out over the city (NYC in this case) and talking about where things went wrong and what happened to their city:

Forster: "When I was a kid, you could sleep with the windows open. I wonder what happened to that?"

Williamson: "We let it get away from us, Eddie. And now that we want it back, we can't even pay for it."

Old 03-08-2024, 07:33 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,989,326 times
I hear this all the time, especially from folks my parent's age who grew up during that time. Basically the baby boomer generation. My question is, why was it allowed to happen? My thoughts - the big money left, or didn't fortify itself, like say, the Birmingham money did. They all went to Mountain Brook and incorporated their own town. That would never be allowed today.

I guess they are now trying in Belhaven. But Belhaven is far from a 'big money' stronghold. People talk about the doctors and such out in Eastover being the big money, but I'm talking the true rich people - the wealth. They've all been gone.

Old 03-08-2024, 08:46 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,791,738 times
White flight severely affected Jackson. It started with the lower-to-middle class in the 1970s. It may be forgotten now, but a white neighborhood adjoined the old Jackson Mall when it opened in 1969.

Old 03-08-2024, 08:59 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,989,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
White flight severely affected Jackson. It started with the lower-to-middle class in the 1970s. It may be forgotten now, but a white neighborhood adjoined the old Jackson Mall when it opened in 1969.
Yes, that's obvious. But my question is, why has it continued, and why has their been no gentrification or reinvestment in downtown areas that you see elsewhere all over the country?

There was white flight in south Jackson as late as the 90s and it still occurs now. Same in northeast Jackson. While it has stemmed all over the rest of the country as people have figured out they cannot out-run and out-drive their differences, it still carries on in Jackson. It's even happening in Pearl nowadays.

NE Jackson people go to Madison, South Jackson people go to Brandon. And there's even people leaving Flowood and Brandon for Pisgah and Pelahatchie.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:15 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,791,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Yes, that's obvious. But my question is, why has it continued, and why has their been no gentrification or reinvestment in downtown areas that you see elsewhere all over the country?

There was white flight in south Jackson as late as the 90s and it still occurs now. Same in northeast Jackson. While it has stemmed all over the rest of the country as people have figured out they cannot out-run and out-drive their differences, it still carries on in Jackson. It's even happening in Pearl nowadays.

NE Jackson people go to Madison, South Jackson people go to Brandon. And there's even people leaving Flowood and Brandon for Pisgah and Pelahatchie.
I don’t see any major reinvestment in Jackson until the infrastructure is fixed and more competent governance arrives. And Rankin County is no bastion of sobriety, either.

Old 03-08-2024, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,661 times
The quality of life in the Manhattan area had not begun to decline in the late 70's but the seeds were planted.
Manhattan was a wonderful area in that era. The big drop began in the 80-90's.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:20 AM

631 posts, read 289,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I don’t see any major reinvestment in Jackson until the infrastructure is fixed and more competent governance arrives. And Rankin County is no bastion of sobriety, either.
When we were planning our move to MS, we took Jackson off the table due to the infrastructure issue. We were not willing to move to a city whose water supply broke down for a month, with the National Guard trucking in bottled water for the residents.

And it’s such a pity! Parts of Jackson are gorgeous, featuring stunning historic homes. Belhaven is a little gem. But we had to drive around massive potholes and marveled (not in a good way) at utility poles leaning at a thirty degree angle.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:57 PM

989 posts, read 535,661 times
Capital cities are usually poorly run. Their politics are about the state itself, not the city where the capital just happens to be.

Having said that, Jackson's always had big problems. I grew up on the Ms Gulf Coast and never understood why anyone would live inland in places like McComb, Hattiesburg, Jackson etc. Only Oxford and Natchez looked inviting, and both of those places are mostly just dots on a map. Take away the college in Oxford and the old historical homes in Natchez and you aren't left w/ much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi