Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:56 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times

Advertisements

I am curious as to why anyone would want to live in Mississippi. I've been there a couple of times and I just don't see what is appealing about the place. Why do you live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:25 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,420 times
I no longer live in MS. My husband found a job elsewhere so we moved, but that's the very reason my parents and my husband moved to MS. My mother was in agriculture, and my husband worked for an audio company. I know many people who moved to college towns (Jackson, Starkville, Hattiesburg, Oxford) so they could teach.

Most people who live in MS were born and raised in MS. It's no different than every other state. I would imagine most people live in the state in which they were born and raised. It's natural. You can be a doctor, a mechanic, a fireman, a teacher (etc.) in any state in the union so why not do it in a place you know? I happen to be a bit of a gypsy and like change, but most people I went to school with are still in MS (or moved to AL).

Old 01-31-2010, 11:08 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
What people love about Mississippi:

- College towns - Picturesque Oxford and the Grove, livable Starkville, booming Hattiesburg
- Coastal towns - Ocean Springs to Bay St. Louis
- Barrier islands - Pristine Cat Island and Horn Island, friendly Ship Island
- Rivers and creeks - Black Creek national wilderness area, Clark Creek Natural Area, Red Creek, Okatoma, Pickwick, many others
- History - Natchez and Vicksburg with antebellum mansions and battlefields
- Jackson neighborhoods and suburbs - Belhaven, Fondren, and Eastover in Jackson...Lost Rabbit on the Reservoir, and Madison schools, safety, and careful planning
- Charming small towns with historic neighborhoods - Brookhaven, Corinth, Laurel, Hernando, Columbus, Greenwood (Alluvian and Grand Ave)
- Trees, hills, lakes, farms and small towns, rather than traffic, malls, crime, and crowded suburbs
- Colorful history in music, art, and literature from Faulkner to Welty to Elvis to BB King to Walter Anderson
- Sports - Famous athletes such as arguably the top quarterback, runner, and receiver in the NFL (Bret Favre, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton)
-Relaxed atmosphere...seafood, easy drive to New Orleans and Florida, endless hunting and fishing, church, ultra friendly people

Old 02-01-2010, 04:49 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,316 times
Here is my take on MS from an outside perspective, I have been to other states before and many have the same issues as MS. We do not live in a perfect world.

I will be moving from Scotland to MS once I get my BS in nursing. MS has its own unique characteristics, I like rural living/countryside. Being raised in a village I can adjust no problem but I do live close to Glasgow. However Its all down to ones personal preference.

MS has a much better climate than Scotland, our climate is moderate with mild summers and cold winters which is something I cannot adjust to. The climate in MS suits us both as far as outdoors living is concerned etc.

Hunting: We're avid hunters so with the vast abundance of whitetails there we are spoiled. I will miss our roe, red, sika and fallow deer. Not to mention other species but on the plus side I can bow hunt there.

Cost of living: Cost of living is far lower than here, housing especially. A decent house here would cost $300,000. Mind you our homes are historic (most of them) they're also well built with solid brick though American homes appeal to me as they're very different and charming.

Terrain: Scotland wins by far with the highlands mountainous region with vast valleys, ancient pine forests, lakes and green rolling hills but MS is still pretty though I am not used to such flat land....not a big issue though.

Overall I love both but each has its pros and cons there is no doubt about that. For people to completely think that they're state is perfect then they have to have a wake up call.

I will still visit my parents back in the motherland but they can also visit us here so there are good points to moving to another country

Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 AM

767 posts, read 2,290,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I am curious as to why anyone would want to live in Mississippi. I've been there a couple of times and I just don't see what is appealing about the place. Why do you live there?
The fishing is great.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:15 AM

35 posts, read 118,011 times
Quote:
Why do you live there?
STUCK!
You grow up here. Get a job, get married, and have kids. Parents get older and need looking after and you don't want to leave them. No one is beating down my door to have me in another state. If I would have had the financial resources and situation would have been different, we would be elsewhere. Love this state but I can still love it while living in another state.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
The fishing is great.
I have heard that! I'd like to fly down there and try it out sometime.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:10 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
They say in the gulf along the Mississippi Coast, the shrimp and oysters are practically jumping out of the water. It's also known for red snapper. It's the nutrients from the rivers, partially guarded from the open gulf by the barrier islands, that creates a perfect storm for the abundance that is the saltwater fishing along the Mississippi Coast.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
They say in the gulf along the Mississippi Coast, the shrimp and oysters are practically jumping out of the water. It's also known for red snapper. It's the nutrients from the rivers, partially guarded from the open gulf by the barrier islands, that creates a perfect storm for the abundance that is the saltwater fishing along the Mississippi Coast.
Really? Anyone have a recommendation as to a company that rents fishing boats?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Here is my take on MS from an outside perspective, I have been to other states before and many have the same issues as MS. We do not live in a perfect world.

I will be moving from Scotland to MS once I get my BS in nursing. MS has its own unique characteristics, I like rural living/countryside. Being raised in a village I can adjust no problem but I do live close to Glasgow. However Its all down to ones personal preference.

MS has a much better climate than Scotland, our climate is moderate with mild summers and cold winters which is something I cannot adjust to. The climate in MS suits us both as far as outdoors living is concerned etc.

Hunting: We're avid hunters so with the vast abundance of whitetails there we are spoiled. I will miss our roe, red, sika and fallow deer. Not to mention other species but on the plus side I can bow hunt there.

Cost of living: Cost of living is far lower than here, housing especially. A decent house here would cost $300,000. Mind you our homes are historic (most of them) they're also well built with solid brick though American homes appeal to me as they're very different and charming.

Terrain: Scotland wins by far with the highlands mountainous region with vast valleys, ancient pine forests, lakes and green rolling hills but MS is still pretty though I am not used to such flat land....not a big issue though.

Overall I love both but each has its pros and cons there is no doubt about that. For people to completely think that they're state is perfect then they have to have a wake up call.

I will still visit my parents back in the motherland but they can also visit us here so there are good points to moving to another country
Have you tried living in other parts of the US? The South is really different from the West, East and Midwest. Each has their advantages. I have lived in all 4 and can say with some certainty that I prefer the West. But the South definitely has it's strong points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi