Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 06:04 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,513,423 times

Advertisements

Rockaway Beach, Missouri?
Now that's another story.
Back in the sixty's ...
It was the Fort Lauderdale of the Midwest! A little village outside of Branson,Called,"Rockaway Beach"

A RIOT, broke out in ,about 1963.

No... It wasn'ta Race
RIOT...It wasn't a RIOT about the war in Vietnam!
It was about, a bunch of drunk collage and locale kid's, out of Control!! LOL!!!
They almost destroyed that little village of
, Rockaway Beach on ...Tannycomo Lake.
The police made so many arrest that night,they just through all the kid's in the middle of the the court, at the county seat of
Forsyth, Missouri.
Rockaway , was never the same after that.
Just a little ...something?
Now....
What were we talking about?
LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 06:37 PM

ShadowCaver
LOL!!!
FYI
I have been happily Married for 36 yrs.I hope you know...
I am not flirting!
LOL!!!
*blush*

Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post

Here's one for you...Is Quantrill a hero of Missouri or a dastardly outlaw?
I vote Hero, Him and Bill Anderson, the James and Youngers. All hero's
at least of Southern Missouri....

Old 08-01-2008, 10:03 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
I knew a man that was a nephew of Bill Vaughn that rode with Quantrill. One time he and some guys were swimming in a creek near Blue Springs and the Union captured them. Bill told the Union officer that they had better let him and the guys go or Quantrill would be vey mad. The Union officer decided it would be prudent to do so. Some time after that he and a group were captured on the Ks side and they were to be hung. Quantrill sent word that he would hang ten Union soldiers for every man of his they hung. Thne Union hung Bill Vaughn and nine others. Qunatrill hung a hundred Union men!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I knew a man that was a nephew of Bill Vaughn that rode with Quantrill. One time he and some guys were swimming in a creek near Blue Springs and the Union captured them. Bill told the Union officer that they had better let him and the guys go or Quantrill would be vey mad. The Union officer decided it would be prudent to do so. Some time after that he and a group were captured on the Ks side and they were to be hung. Quantrill sent word that he would hang ten Union soldiers for every man of his they hung. Thne Union hung Bill Vaughn and nine others. Qunatrill hung a hundred Union men!
Wow! Versatile
That is pretty interesting!
Thanks

Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I vote Hero, Him and Bill Anderson, the James and Youngers. All hero's
at least of Southern Missouri....
I tend to view him that way myself. A lot of people forget about John Brown and what he did to Missourians who were pro Southern. Part of the reason Quantrill burnt Lawrence was as retribution for Brown's deeds. Those were hard times.

The civil war really started in the Missouri Kansas border area well before Sumter was fired upon. Wilson's creek was one of the biggest battles of the war and fought near Springfield. The border between the two states was not a safe place to be in the 1800's, if I recall correctly the Union troups evicted everyone in a 4 county area near KC for being pro Southern.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 PM
jps

79 posts, read 391,743 times
Here's a couple of interesting blurbs on the Vaughns...

Quote:
Vaughn, James A.

One of Quantrill's first recruits, joining on December 25, 1861. Formed with nine other men at the farm of Mrs. Samual Crump between Independence and Blue Springs. Said to have been the beginning of Quantrill's band as an entity with a separate and distinct leader. Captured in a Kansas City barbers shop and hanged May 29, 1863 at Ft. Leavenworth.
Quote:
To: Doug Vaughn, Fresno, CA, March 1998.

Here is a story about our great-great-grandfather, William Henry Vaughn. It is just a family story and there is no evidence to support it.

Before William was married, and he would have been in his late teens or early twenties, he was recruited by William Quantrill's gang to make a raid on Lawrence, Kansas. If you know anything about the civil war in Missouri, you will know that Quantrill was a murdering outlaw on the side of the South. Of course Kansas was pro-Union. But Quantrill was out for personal gain and satisfaction more than anything else. It was his way or you were his enemy. Anyway, back to the story. When William was recruited, he didn't turn Quantrill down because that would have been deadly. William was good with a gun, so he went along with Quantrill. He rode with him into Kansas and one night before the raid, William found an opportunity to escape. He left the gang and went into Arkansas to hide until his he felt it was safe to return. I don't know if this story makes him a coward or shows he had some sense. Anyway, that's how my grandfather told the story to my dad.

Bill Vaughn, Pleasant Hill, MO.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_Dokie! View Post
Rockaway Beach, Missouri?
Now that's another story.
Back in the sixty's ...
It was the Fort Lauderdale of the Midwest! A little village outside of Branson,Called,"Rockaway Beach"

A RIOT, broke out in ,about 1963.

No... It wasn'ta Race RIOT...It wasn't a RIOT about the war in Vietnam!
It was about, a bunch of drunk collage and locale kid's, out of Control!! LOL!!!
They almost destroyed that little village of, Rockaway Beach on ...Tannycomo Lake.
The police made so many arrest that night,they just through all the kid's in the middle of the the court, at the county seat of Forsyth, Missouri.
Rockaway , was never the same after that.
Just a little ...something?
Now....
What were we talking about?
LOL!!
I was there. A bunch of guys marched down the street pushing over cars and breaking windows. I went there for my senior trip. I tell people stories about it all the time, The person before was right, they put a rope around the lot of the courthouse and waited for all the parents to pick them up. It was mostly just the guys that got arrested. They just told me I better go. They had great music, but an awful lot of drinking. I had a wonderful time until the riot started.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:17 PM

320 posts, read 610,631 times
"A lot of people forget about John Brown and what he did to Missourians who were pro Southern."

John Brown was an American Hero. Just like the German Forty-Eighters that held down the armory in Saint Louis and helped secure Missouri for Freedom.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
"A lot of people forget about John Brown and what he did to Missourians who were pro Southern."

John Brown was an American Hero. Just like the German Forty-Eighters that held down the armory in Saint Louis and helped secure Missouri for Freedom.
Is history easier when you can only see black and white? You could argue that Brown was a hero, as slavery isn't a principle to fight for. You could also call him a terrorist, mainly due to the action that led to his demise at Harper's Ferry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri