Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:53 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,212,271 times

Advertisements

I'd agree too many ppv events, I've found myself mainly interested in cards that have a championship up for grabs at a weight of at least 170.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,338,048 times
I can't speak for everyone, but I've fallen off of the UFC bandwagon mainly because my wife and I are too cheap to get the expanded digital satellite coverage. Thus, I don't get FX, though I don't get SPIKE either. If I had those channels, I'd still probably be watching ultimate fighter.

I think the one thing I can say is that the UFC has a rapidly developing problem in that a lot of the old-name fighters are starting to drop off the scene, and there aren't enough intriguing fighters who have stepped forward to make a name for themselves yet. There haven't been enough major fights recently, but I think it's just a lull. There will be periods when it heats up again.

This weekend should not disappoint, though. Can't wait to see the rematch.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,338,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I'd agree too many ppv events, I've found myself mainly interested in cards that have a championship up for grabs at a weight of at least 170.
Yeah, another problem is that the fighters like Anderson Silva and GSP have *almost run out of competition. Sonnen will be an interesting opponent even the second time around, but if Silva can survive this test, then I don't know who can possibly beat him. But we know that GSP won't fight Silva. And we know that Silva won't fight Jon Jones. And we know that Jon Jones isn't going to move up in weight anytime soon. Those are the intriguing fights for the time-being. And they're just not going to happen.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:16 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,111,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yeah, another problem is that the fighters like Anderson Silva and GSP have *almost run out of competition. Sonnen will be an interesting opponent even the second time around, but if Silva can survive this test, then I don't know who can possibly beat him. But we know that GSP won't fight Silva. And we know that Silva won't fight Jon Jones. And we know that Jon Jones isn't going to move up in weight anytime soon. Those are the intriguing fights for the time-being. And they're just not going to happen.
this is exactly why i am the opposite, i prefer the lighter weight classes. the guys are much more active, there is more intrigue, and all that. im not a fan of any of the champs from 170+. well i like JDS but not greatly. the heavy weight title is the only title above 155 that is remotely competitive or up for grabs so to speak.

again this is why i am going more the local route and while not losing interest in the ufc, i dont watch every even like i used to. i always check the play by play or results but dont always watch. in the local scene i get to see guys i train with, guys i work with on a near daily basis, go out and do what we work on. its more interesting to see those guys and how they implement the game plans you guys work on daily. its just much more interesting.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM

141 posts, read 279,312 times
enjoy watching UFC occasionally, but only the big PPV fights,which i've never paid for, because it's easier just to go to a bar and pay a $5 cover and watch on the big screen with a crowd that's into it (makes it more fun). i don't keep up with any of the other UFC related things.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,797,962 times
The UFC needs some real competition, and the money in MMA still isn't what it is in boxing. The best MMA dream fight so to speak wouldn't even come close to Pacquiao vs Mayweather.

MMA still has fights ending with one guy sitting on another guy while punching him in the head, that won't appeal to the casual fan. The lack of personalities also hurt MMA, look at Lesnar, his fights in the UFC were some of the highest bought pay per views for no other reason than his Pro Wrestling career.

I still watch UFC pay per views but I will always see it like a niche sport like Hockey.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
The UFC needs some real competition, and the money in MMA still isn't what it is in boxing. The best MMA dream fight so to speak wouldn't even come close to Pacquiao vs Mayweather.

MMA still has fights ending with one guy sitting on another guy while punching him in the head, that won't appeal to the casual fan. The lack of personalities also hurt MMA, look at Lesnar, his fights in the UFC were some of the highest bought pay per views for no other reason than his Pro Wrestling career.

I still watch UFC pay per views but I will always see it like a niche sport like Hockey.
this is so misleading and misinformed. yes it is true that a manny vs floyd fight would bring in the biggest numbers ever, outside of those 2 men the boxing payday is not that big. the other part of it is the ufc fighters do not have to tell anyone what they make and choose not to. i can tell you chuck liddell got about 7 mil in the end to fight keith jardine. now at that time chuck was a big name but not THE big name. on the flip side cotto got about 10 mil to lose to floyd.

now you brought up brock lesnar who has made a ton of money in WWE, yet his net worth is only baout 12.5 mil. look at bj penn, a home town boy from hawaii who has done nothing but bjj/mma his whole life and was never on tv outside of the cage his net worth is about 40 mil. macho camacho (RIP) was worth 100k when he died. ridick bowe, something like 20-30k.

Richest Boxers

MMA Net Worth

so i reiterate my point, if your a boxer not named manny or floyd, maybe klitchko then you are NOT getting paid like the fans think you are.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
this is so misleading and misinformed. yes it is true that a manny vs floyd fight would bring in the biggest numbers ever, outside of those 2 men the boxing payday is not that big. the other part of it is the ufc fighters do not have to tell anyone what they make and choose not to. i can tell you chuck liddell got about 7 mil in the end to fight keith jardine. now at that time chuck was a big name but not THE big name. on the flip side cotto got about 10 mil to lose to floyd.

now you brought up brock lesnar who has made a ton of money in WWE, yet his net worth is only baout 12.5 mil. look at bj penn, a home town boy from hawaii who has done nothing but bjj/mma his whole life and was never on tv outside of the cage his net worth is about 40 mil. macho camacho (RIP) was worth 100k when he died. ridick bowe, something like 20-30k.

Richest Boxers

MMA Net Worth

so i reiterate my point, if your a boxer not named manny or floyd, maybe klitchko then you are NOT getting paid like the fans think you are.
I had no idea B.J. Penn was worth 40 million, wow.

Evader Holyfield made over 200 million in his career which was really 15 or more years ago, Tyson made over 300 million 15 or more years ago Riddick Bowe had to make close to 75 or 80 million years ago.

I would guess Roy Jones made 50 Million or more, Juan Manuel Marquez is worth about 20 million.
So maybe the top MMA guys are making top boxer money 15 years ago.

Will anyone in MMA ever come close to making what Tyson did?

Look I'm not ripping the UFC or MMA fighters, I still enjoy watching it, but I can't see the top MMA guys making the money that Tyson made 20 years ago.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 AM

You seem to be over looking the relative age of the sports, MMA is 20 yrs old next year, (well UFC) and MMA as it is now is more like half that. Boxing on the other hand is what 100+ yrs old? Boxers today don't make money like the Tyson days, if they did, Floyd would be worth twice what he's worth.

Foreman is worth more then all of them, but his prose money was no where near Tyson or even cotto.

Will any MMA fighter make Tyson money? Maybe not ever, but I don't see any boxers doing it either. Times have changed

Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
You seem to be over looking the relative age of the sports, MMA is 20 yrs old next year, (well UFC) and MMA as it is now is more like half that. Boxing on the other hand is what 100+ yrs old? Boxers today don't make money like the Tyson days, if they did, Floyd would be worth twice what he's worth.

Foreman is worth more then all of them, but his prose money was no where near Tyson or even cotto.

Will any MMA fighter make Tyson money? Maybe not ever, but I don't see any boxers doing it either. Times have changed
Again you're right, boxing is much older although if Mayweather was a heavyweight he might be making Tyson type money.

If we had an American heavyweight that was killing guys like Tyson used to it might. The problem with boxing is all the good potential heavyweights are playing football, and as rough as football is its still better than getting punched 100 times in your head, lol.

The Foreman thing is funny in that if he was the size of Joe Frazier would we even know is name? Probably not and that's what made Tyson so special is that he was usually giving 20 - 40 lbs to his opponents.

The skills in MMA have come a long way and they will continue to get better and so will the money. I just don't ever see it mainstream like heavyweight boxing in the '70s or welterweight / middleweight in the '80s, unless the MMA finds a marketable star that crosses over, like Lesnar did so to speak.

Last edited by James420; 11-29-2012 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)