Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 06:54 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times

Advertisements

i hope he actually does what he says he wants to do and steps in the cage.
i find it funny that a 1 dimensional fighter thinks he can smash the guy who just completely destroyed the guy with the best boxing AND the best takedown defense in all of mma. JDS had almost never been taken down until cain got his game going early and often. no idea how this motormouth thinks he can stop that from happening to him. james toney 2.0......

Undefeated Boxer Calls Velasquez A Midget On Steroids, Wants Fight In Cage Or Ring | UFC NEWS MMA News | Mixed Martial Arts | UFC News | BJPenn | MMA Fight | UFC Fights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Fighting Cain is probably the closest he can get to actually being relevant in the sports world, so I guess this is a good move on his part.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
If Sonnen and Diaz can do it, why can't this guy do it? After all, this is the UFC (not Bellator where you have to win a tournament). Hey, why go through the hassle of beating top-ranked fighters when you can just run your mouth and get a title shot?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,258 times
James Toney fought at 168 in his prime. He was finished in boxing by the time he tried his hand in the Octagon, and even then, Couture was not stupid enough to try and trade with him.

So you got a guy who abused his body for years, and was essentially a heavyweight at 250 lbs with a super middleweight or at this point in his life, a light heavyweight's frame, going up against an Olympic level wrestler.

The difference is Tyson Fury is naturally a huge, strong guy, and the UFC heavyweight don't seem to have much tallent.

At the lower weights, guys like Aldo, Silva and a bigger guy, Jon Jones have an impressive array of skills, but at heavyweight, they don't seem look any different from a couple of bar room brawlers.

I saw the Cain fight with Santos and it seemed as if Cain was just a mauler that could take a punch and who's main objective was to get on top of you and punch you in the back of the head.

Fury is bigger and naturally stronger than Dos Santos and he may very well be harder to take down. Cain's only hope is to take him down. If he fails at taking him down, Fury will do whatever he wants with him as he is the superior stand up fighter.

You can argue that Cain can kick, and I know he managed to land one against Santos who had no defense and appeared like he didn't even train for the fight, but Cain is hardly a kicker in the mold of Jon Jones or Anderson Silva.

I say, why not?

If MMA guys were smart, they would attempt to challenge the top boxers and make millions of dollars instead of the relative chump change they are making in their organization. Imagine if Brock Lesnar chose to challenge the Klitschkos. That would be a massive PPV, and he would make by far, the largest pay day of his career.

But instead, you have boxers, in this case a guy who will make a fraction of what he will make in boxing, looking to challenge the champion in the UFC. This is not like Kimbo Slice, fighting guys that work at the hardware store, and fight part time, but instead taking on the toughest challenge available.

You should be giving Fury props. It takes a lot of brass to do that. Santos said he would beat the Klitchkos at boxing. But did you see him go through with it? Of course not, because either one of those brothers would probably end his fighting career in brutal fashion. If it was against Wlad, it would be a quick couple of minutes before he is unconcious from a right hand or left hook and if it is Vitali, Vitali will thoroughly beat him to the point to where he will never be the same again.

I'll say Fury has a better chance against Cain in the octagon than Wlad Klitschko in the boxing ring. So why not? To be honest, I wouldn't give Fury a chance against up and comers like Wilder and Price.

If White agrees and he gets the pay day, why not? If he loses it gives the UFC another opportunity to deride boxing, which you seem to enjoy, so like I said, why not?

I say, make it happen.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,258 times
Also in UFC anything can happen. Remember, Cain and Santos are 1 and 1. What happened last time? Cain got knocked out with one punch.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Clearly Del Boy knows little to nothing about Mma. Or he just loves his boxing so much he can't get over it.
Cain has no skills? He's a damn division 1 wrestler, but you know that wrastlin ain't no skill that's 2 guys humping each other.

Yeah James toney was an out of shape and was around 250, except he was a world champion boxer (actually held a belt at that time), and yet randy was 5 years older, 25-30 lbs lighter and was never an Olympian. On top of that randy toyed with James, he PLAYED with him, made him look silly and toney didn't even know how to tap out, he screamed and waived his hands around while randy had a half ass choke that was not even locked up.

Kimbos fighting bums right? Go look at the 1st 8-10 fights mayweather had and tell me how many of them were top level guys, hell tell me how many had a winning record for that mater.

Bottom line, this guy isn't going to talk his way into a fight with Cain, he MIGHT talk his way into a UFC fight though I think James toney burned that bridge, but it's not gonna be against a top guy. Maybe a frank Mir type guy. But I will say watching some video of this guy and he's gonna need a LONG time to learn how to not get double/single legged right onto his ass and "mauled". Honestly I hope Dana lets him in as an example.

There is no boxer PERIOD that can walk into the UFC today and make a mark with pure boxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)