Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 01:13 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times

Advertisements

You know what Conor could do to shock the world, though not sure if he would get paid by doing this. When the bell rings, just jump with a flying kick to Mayweather's face. Once Mayweather is on the ground, break his arm. That would go down as the #1 shocking moment in all of sports history..hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Before I seen the skills, I was actually not going to watch the fight because I felt sorry for McGregor. Now, as I seen the footage, I realized that this is a real fight that Floyd will have to prepare in a way that he's never had to prepare for before.

The same can be said about McGregor without a doubt, but I just don't think people really grasp how dangerous of a fight this is for Floyd not because Floyd is bad, but because McGregor offers that type of challenge.

I will say that I will eat my words if Floyd just goes in there and crushes him, but I just don't see that happening based on what I've seen in training.

Like I said, everyone can form their own opinions, but that's what I see playing out.
I can see this fight dragging on for many rounds. Floyd isn't exactly likely going to attack. He will wait for Conor to do something and make a mistake to capitalize on it. If i was Conor, i would dance around the ring as much as possible and not attack. Let's see if Floyd is still patient enough like he normally is with other boxers in the past. I think Floyd is pissed at Conor for all the 'racist' things he said and might make a mistake himself by being too aggressive, but we shall see. The reality is that i don't see Conor winning this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 01:59 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,096,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
You know what Conor could do to shock the world, though not sure if he would get paid by doing this. When the bell rings, just jump with a flying kick to Mayweather's face. Once Mayweather is on the ground, break his arm. That would go down as the #1 shocking moment in all of sports history..hehe.

I can see this fight dragging on for many rounds. Floyd isn't exactly likely going to attack. He will wait for Conor to do something and make a mistake to capitalize on it. If i was Conor, i would dance around the ring as much as possible and not attack. Let's see if Floyd is still patient enough like he normally is with other boxers in the past. I think Floyd is pissed at Conor for all the 'racist' things he said and might make a mistake himself by being too aggressive, but we shall see. The reality is that i don't see Conor winning this.
i read somewhere if conor does "any mma stuff" he loses something like 90% of his purse

Old 08-21-2017, 04:07 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Would it? I'm sure there's been a soccer or cricket match where a fan interfered and started a war or something.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:15 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Is this sort of the equivalent of watching a 16 seed play a 1 seed? 1 seeds are 120-0, but I always watch at least the first half thinking it might happen this time. The optimist in me is never willing to concede that there's no chance.

And hell, just a year ago I watched Trump take on the world and come out victorious. His odds to become president during the primary were what 500 to 1? Surely McGregor has better odds than that?

Old 08-23-2017, 03:50 AM

115 posts, read 98,341 times
I don't think Floyd Mayweather would end up mentally damaged. He's been in 49 fights with mind focused on defensive mode, which has always been a trait of Floyd. McGregor may trash talk all he wants but experience speaks for itself.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:40 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Is this sort of the equivalent of watching a 16 seed play a 1 seed? 1 seeds are 120-0, but I always watch at least the first half thinking it might happen this time. The optimist in me is never willing to concede that there's no chance.

And hell, just a year ago I watched Trump take on the world and come out victorious. His odds to become president during the primary were what 500 to 1? Surely McGregor has better odds than that?
This is a low-risk fight for both guys. Conor is basically a novice/amateur and Floyd is not realistically going to KO anyone at this point in his career.

A real risk would be Conor fighting GGG/Chocolatito/Thurman or Mayweather stepping into the Octagon. Both scenarios would result in both fighters leaving the building on stretchers.

Shawn Porter would make for a much more exciting fight since he's more of the pugnacious type. My understanding of McGregor is that he's the type of guy who fights you more at range. It would be interesting to see how an MMA fighter would deal with a come forward boxer.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Both fighters representing the best of their disciplines i'd have to put my money on Mayweather in a boxing match,however to be fair i think a future fight should be an MMA fight between the two where i would then put my money on McGregor.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:02 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i read somewhere if conor does "any mma stuff" he loses something like 90% of his purse
You are absolutely right. There is a clause in his contract that he can't do that. Btw, Pat Miletich says Conor needs to 'cheat within the rules in order to win. I agree. Either try to get Floyd to do most of the aggression and get Floyd to try and knock him out which would be a risk for Floyd who is used to a defensive style. With Floyd saying that the fight won't last might mean he is going to try and knock out Conor, thus not utilizing his own tactic that was successful for his entire career.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/7/2...oyd-mayweather

The constant pressure of the tap of the back of the head and the push to the hip at the same time to make the head pop back to throw stuff,” Miletich said. “The bringing the head through and throwing a lead hook which would be opposite side for him. Stuff like that. Blocking the leg when he gets them in the ropes, because they’re the same stance, lean forward, clashing, block the outside of the leg, and get him off balance and take the leg out from under him. Make him stumble, make him lose his balance, and unload on him.

“Its got to be that close to a street fight,” Miletich said. “Get two warnings for everything before they take a point, and look, if you get a point taken, you get a point taken. It’s not like he’s winning on the cards anyway. I’m just being honest.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:21 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,191,390 times
McGregor got walked down and stopped.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:15 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,986,422 times
Was well worth the watching on periscope! Although there will be some who wondered why the fight was stopped.
Humble pie served up last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)