Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 09:13 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,024,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
haha, cowards like you shouldn't be giving advice on how to fight then.
No? Well let’s review what I’ve actually said, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
...when it comes to self defense your brain is your best weapon. Your brain is what keeps you alert to your surroundings and mindful of what's around you. A lot of people, some who practice martial arts even, are completely oblivious to their surroundings. It won't matter how good they are if they get blind sided because they weren't aware of their surroundings.
Using my brain is how I’ve avoided fights in my adult life. I outgrew street/bar fighting years ago.

Sun Tzu said “The greatest victory is that which requires no battle.” Granted you don’t strike me as all that bright, so I don’t expect that you’ve heard of much less read any Sun Tzu, but for those of us who use our heads he can be quite thought provoking. Not to mention the advice I gave is consistent with training and lessons learned from 20+ years of service in the Marine Corps. Every conflict I’ve avoided in my adult life is a victory.

You go on bragging about your 20 street fights (not trying to be mean here but I genuinely question the intelligence of a person who hasn’t learned to avoid street fights after that many) and how much better you are than the “noobs” who train with you. Call me a coward if it helps reassure your fragile ego. Like I already said, you’re probably way tougher than me anyway, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 09:49 AM

390 posts, read 507,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
No? Well let’s review what I’ve actually said, shall we?

Using my brain is how I’ve avoided fights in my adult life. I outgrew street/bar fighting years ago.

Sun Tzu said “The greatest victory is that which requires no battle.” Granted you don’t strike me as all that bright, so I don’t expect that you’ve heard of much less read any Sun Tzu, but for those of us who use our heads he can be quite thought provoking. Not to mention the advice I gave is consistent with training and lessons learned from 20+ years of service in the Marine Corps. Every conflict I’ve avoided in my adult life is a victory.

You go on bragging about your 20 street fights (not trying to be mean here but I genuinely question the intelligence of a person who hasn’t learned to avoid street fights after that many) and how much better you are than the “noobs” who train with you. Call me a coward if it helps reassure your fragile ego. Like I already said, you’re probably way tougher than me anyway, right?

You don't know anything about fighting, because you're just a Martial Arts LARPER; you never fought. You're even scared to spar hard for knockouts....yet you tried to pass yourself off as someone who knows better about how to handle real violence. You're just a clown in white pajamas and a colored belt that you bought with your McDojo membership.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:15 AM

815 posts, read 738,378 times
Bro, you are trying way too hard.

OP, there is no one magic martial art that will let you win any street fight. Boxing, kickboxing, Muai Thai can cam you to be an effective fighter in your feet. Bjj can teach you how to protect yourself if you wind up in the ground. There is no martial art that will save you from somebody taking a pipe to the back of your head when your guard is down.

Train what makes you happy. Be physically fit. Learn spacial awareness. Avoid fighting unless you have literally no other option.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:46 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,858,033 times
Wrestling
BJJ
Boxing/Kickboxing/Muay Thai

Old 02-12-2020, 01:36 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,438,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
The Best Style Against Untrained People? (fight, techniques, boxing, training)
There is no "best style". There are many many different styles with strengths and weaknesses inherent in the systems that could favor or hinder a practitioners effectivness based on their age, size, strength, weakness, speed, experience, fighting spirit, etc. What a person needs to do is find a style they they - 1) enjoy, 2) suits their goals, 3)has experienced teacher, 4) Dedicate themselves to learning it; and 5)suits their body style.

What you also need to take into account is, how EXACTLY are you defining "UNTRAINED"? IVe known a LOT of "untrained" guys are are complete beasts when it comes to fighting/self defense. Never took a lesson in their lives but have lots of experience in street fights/self defence situations and are also physically fit.

There are a LOT of NBA/NFL/MLB athletes who have never trained in their lives who would totally destroy some who have trained in whatever style of martial art/fighting for years. This itself should tell you that its more than just styles that win.

My suggestion to you is to find a style/system that you like and stick with it. Most importantly, you need to take iknowftbll advice and learn how to deescalate and/or avoid by using your brain. THIS is the most important self defense technique that has ever existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Would your view of a particular style that you usually diss be changed if you saw a person successfully use that style against an untrained attacker?
No. I know enough about many styles to know if they are for me or not. Also, I dont "diss" any particular art because there is ALWAYS something that could be learned from practice/learning. This is true with the study of all things under the sun.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:02 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,742,769 times
Yikes this got heated. I'm still a newb, as I only trained BJJ for about 6 months in 2018 but stopped due to logistical/financial reasons. So, really I can only relay here the opinions I've heard from other experts. Joined an MMA gym recently, and will start training again soon. Will be able to have a better opinion from personal experience in a few years.

However, for now my understanding is the best style against "untrained people" really is the styles that work great against trained people. I think if you choose arts that are battle-tested, like boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai, wrestling, Judo, Sambo, Kyokushin Karate, you can't really go wrong. That's how I've been going about things in narrowing down gyms to train at.

Both Firas Zahabi (a very well-respected MMA coach) and Jocko Willink (former Navy Seal who trains and has a podcast) believe BJJ should be the first art you learn for self-defense, because 1) it's designed to work against opponents who may be larger, stronger, faster and more aggressive; and 2) when you're on your feet, you can always run away, and if running away doesn't work and they chase you down and grab you, BJJ will help you there. But I'm sure reasonable minds can disagree.

I think what matters more though is the coach and culture of the gym, and how much you like the art you're training in. If you have the choice between great boxing training and a BJJ McDojo that hands out belts like candy, go for the boxing gym. Or if you hate Muay Thai, but love BJJ, go with BJJ.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:09 PM

7,539 posts, read 11,385,070 times
Here's an example of a trained martial artist vs a street fighter.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Great post. It is why I always recommend boxing first. In boxing class you will get punched in the face. If you actually get in the ring for a few amature fights it will greatly help with anxiety.

Most traditional martial arts have become more of an exercise class. They are great if that is what you are looking for. They are also great in a real fight till someone punches you in the face.

If you ask me then Judo is the best thing to defend yourself. Most of the fights people are in close range and judo teaches you a combination of grappling, wrestling, throwing, choke-holds, and arm-locks. All of these are very effective in street fight scene. Boxing, no-doubt is great in attacking only if you can deliver some knock-out punches.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:29 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,696,199 times
I am not a street-fighter and haven't been an MMA'er but having seen some fights in my time and certainly the internet gives us some insight into how street fights go - they tend to be largely punches/wild strikes with fists, they end very quickly and it seems that the first one who lands a really solid punch/strike to the head wins it. While there is nothing wrong with learning wrestling/grappling in case you ever need it or end up off your feet, I have heard from people more experienced than me that ending up on the ground is about the last thing that you want to do. They basically told me to try to stay on your feet no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)