Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 10:40 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,093 times

Advertisements

It seems silly to me that Conor would get the winner of Khabib vs Tony.

Conor has to earn his way back AT 155. Fight (and beat) Gaithje, the loser of Khabib vs Tony and then he gets a title shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 06:10 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
This is following a classic formula.

Aging fighter with a huge rep making a comeback (or return etc.) lines up a series of patsies that he easily beats collecting a rich payday each step along the way with no real risk of derailment.

Eventually culminates with some mega-payday title fight that makes everyone involved a pile of money.

This is sports entertainment folks, $$$$$$$$.

P.S. I warned my cousin about buying the fight, I said do you really want to pay $1 a second to watch that? lol. (He wasn't interested in the under cards so my comments were just directed at the McGregor fight) He ended up watching it at a bar and saved some money despite drinking away a lot of the savings lol.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:12 PM

It is all too common.

And I think the reason he went up to 170 is so in case he loses, he can say "Well, I came up to 170 and fought the best. I'm still the best at 155 so give me my title shot!"

Old 01-20-2020, 05:55 PM

8,329 posts, read 2,959,252 times
Wow. Doesn’t sound like many Connor fans here. I thought it was foolish for him to fight at 170. Nobody has done that to cowboy ever and Connor hadn’t had a fight in how long? Conner did as well as anyone could do in 40 seconds. He was awesome.

Says he’d like to fight in March again. I think he should stay at 155 even though he’s won 2 fights now at 170. I think he’s still as good as anyone or better. Forget Floyd 2 if he wants another UFC belt. If he stays focused I still think he’s the best. I’ll drink the Proper 12.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:01 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
There's a lot of good options for a Conor fight. You have Masvidal, Gaethje, and even the Diaz trilogy.

I think Conor v. Gaethje would make a great fight, but I'm highly intrigued by a Conor-Masvidal matchup as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is following a classic formula.

Aging fighter with a huge rep making a comeback (or return etc.) lines up a series of patsies that he easily beats collecting a rich payday each step along the way with no real risk of derailment.

Eventually culminates with some mega-payday title fight that makes everyone involved a pile of money.

This is sports entertainment folks, $$$$$$$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Yep that was pathetic. Cowboy looked like he didn't train and didn't want to be there from the second he walked into the cage.
I disagree, I predicted (as did many) going in that Conor would get a 1st or 2nd round knockout if he was at the top of his game. Conor came in sharp and aggressive. Cowboy is known

P.S. I warned my cousin about buying the fight, I said do you really want to pay $1 a second to watch that? lol. (He wasn't interested in the under cards so my comments were just directed at the McGregor fight) He ended up watching it at a bar and saved some money despite drinking away a lot of the savings lol.
Actually that's not quite what happened here, but you're half right. Last year Cowboy-Conor was a fight a lot of people wanted, when Cowboy was on a nice win streak and vaulted to the #4 rank in the LW division. However, Cowboy has since been on a 2-fight losing streak (to Tony, the #1 contender, and Justin Gaethje, who was ranked #5 and is now #4 after beating Cowboy).

Cowboy is no slouch, and it'd be very disrespectful to call him a can. However, I do believe the bout was scheduled between them because Cowboy was very beatable for Conor yet still had the clout of a top 5 rank. Gaethje, on the other hand, was a much more dangerous comeback for a first fight back. (For the record, I believe Conor would win against Gaethje as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Yep that was pathetic. Cowboy looked like he didn't train and didn't want to be there from the second he walked into the cage.
I disagree. Cowboy is known to be a slow starter, Conor is the opposite, and Conor came out and took it to him immediately. It was a very expected outcome for me, Conor is one of the best strikers in the game and has a very dangerous left hand. It was a very very tough matchup for Cowboy, the only advantage that he had going into the fight was his jiu jitsu, but it was unlikely that he was going to get Conor to the ground IMO.

Last edited by Valhallian; 01-20-2020 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-20-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Wow. Doesn’t sound like many Connor fans here. I thought it was foolish for him to fight at 170. Nobody has done that to cowboy ever and Connor hadn’t had a fight in how long? Conner did as well as anyone could do in 40 seconds. He was awesome.

Says he’d like to fight in March again. I think he should stay at 155 even though he’s won 2 fights now at 170. I think he’s still as good as anyone or better. Forget Floyd 2 if he wants another UFC belt. If he stays focused I still think he’s the best. I’ll drink the Proper 12.
Justin Gaithje did almost the exact same thing to Cowboy in his previous fight. The only difference is Justin took about one minute longer to end the fight.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:33 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Cowboy loses when he fights a superstar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZsa8fvCK28

Old 01-23-2020, 10:30 AM

812 posts, read 736,259 times
I honestly think Conor beats Gaethje fairly handily. Justin's wild, forward pressure is going to leave him open to counters hots, which is a huge strength of McGregor's game. A rematch with Poirier to me is the bigger challenge for McGregor, and would also be a more impressive victory, considering Poirier beat Gaethje.

Gaethje is exciting, but I'm not as high on him as most people are. He has won three in a row in the first round, that's impressive. But who did he beat?

1. James Vick, who I believe has lost his last 4 fights.
2. Edson Barbosa, which would be a lot more impressive 5 or 6 years ago.
3. Cowboy, who was only about 2 months removed from getting absolutely savaged by Tony Ferguson.

I don't think Conor deserves the title shot, I just think Poirier would be a better way to get there than by beating Gaethje. Frankly, I think Dana giving Conor a title shot at all is a mistake. He has never shown a willingness to defend, and if he wins, the division will end up stalled for another year or two.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:43 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Cowboy is no slouch, and it'd be very disrespectful to call him a can. However, I do believe the bout was scheduled between them because Cowboy was very beatable for Conor.
It was a grossly one-sided 40 second beat down. *shrug*

I shouldn't have said patsy, I should have said someone that McG can easily beat with little to no risk.

My core point is that this is one of the oldest fight promoter comeback plans in the books for a big name guy like McG. String together almost certain wins and make a boatload of $$$ and then the big title-fight cash-in. Everyone can vote with their wallet as to what value they put on watching it, there is no right or wrong answer.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:47 PM

But whether we like Conor or not, he's a big money maker for the UFC. If we stop paying attention to him, he'll have to fight his way to the top again like every other fighter. But since he draws numbers, he'll continue to get the big money fights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)