Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 07:47 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,398,545 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with Choy Lay F.ut Kung Fu? In this video they demonstrate MMA fighters using striking techniques similar to those used in Choy Lay F.ut.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 06:37 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,708,483 times
LOL, several of those videos show guys that have no idea how to punch throwing haymakers.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:35 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,121,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
LOL, several of those videos show guys that have no idea how to punch throwing haymakers.
Also, some of the guys in the video i highly doubt practice this Kung Fu. It seems like a hook, haymaker, etc. The last clips were of Superman punch.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:53 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,398,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Also, some of the guys in the video i highly doubt practice this Kung Fu:
That's probably true. But I think the focus of the videomaker was to show how strikes found in CLF have been used effectively in MMA.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:11 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,708,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
That's probably true. But I think the focus of the videomaker was to show how strikes found in CLF have been used effectively in MMA.
I think the focus was to advertise the guy who wants more students for his kung fu classes. It could work with people that don't have a clue about martial arts. Anybody with any real training will LOL like I did.

EDIT: To add I am not laughing at the gentlemans Kung Fu. I am laughing at the silly video.

Last edited by sam812; 01-30-2020 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-30-2020, 03:58 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,121,716 times
Quote:
Yes, but those strikes in MMA are not from this Kung Fu martial art. They might be similar.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:07 PM

1,417 posts, read 739,058 times
Quote:
Anyone familiar with Choy Lay F.ut Kung Fu?
Not all Choy Lay ***, but with the Buk Sing derivitive, yes. I actually respect the intention of Buk Sing; it was needed.

Quote:
In this video they demonstrate MMA fighters using striking techniques similar to those used in Choy Lay F.ut.
Yes, but what the video does not show is a practitioner of Buk Sing Choy Lay *** Kung Fu using his Choy Lay *** techniques in a mixed martial arts match. Which is a real shame because if any branch of Choy Lay *** should step up to the plate (again) it would be Buk Sing.

It would fitting to see a practitioner of Buk Sing walk the walk and apply their technique under the stress and unpredictability of the ring (I'll remind you that MMA allows only a tiny subset of vast, vast array of Choy Lay *** techniques, which possibly is the greatest collection of techniques cataloged as a style there is). But that is not what we get. Instead we get a cut and paste job of various MMA practitioners and a few street fighters being used as allegory for what promoted itself as a sect that concentrates on the practical application of their art.

By the way I looked Gianni de Nittis up. He is not that old, video cameras existed during his time of alleged "underground fighting" and "Italian Martial Arts" tournaments. Why are we not seeing footage of Gianni de Nittis himself given "he has much experience in fighting using the choy la *** style".

I note there is no prohibition preventing Gianni de Nittis, sifu from entering the ring and demonstrating the practical application of his art instead of relying on cutting and pasting images of those with the testicular fortitude to walk the walk to do it for him.

I have practiced traditional martial arts for almost 50 years. I also tested it as an ex-PKA fighter, ex-toughman champion, former pro-boxer, and in my late 40s I took up MMA for the purpose of testing my technique(I learned a great appreciation for ground work, it is an art in and of itself).

I teach traditional martial arts, but I do not feed my students bull about the effectiveness. My students can look at old videos of me in full contact matches and see where a tiny sliver of techniques I relentlessly drilled were applied. Let me tell you it had nothing to do with the style and had everything to do with conditioning, relentless drilling, drive, determination and innate talent I possessed.

More over I do not know one single person from a traditional martials arts background who participated in an actual MMA match who then decided the way to train for future MMA matches was to do traditional martial arts training in order to prepare. That includes me.

I love traditional martial arts, I truly do, love, love, love them but this sort of crap ticks me off, it is misleading, disingenuous, and disrespectful to the people in those videos who spent countless hours conditioning their bodies and training for a match to have their very images used to promote an art they are not affiliated with. Moreover it deludes the student into thinking they are prepared for encounters they simply are not prepared for and can get someone seriously hurt.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 01-31-2020 at 08:00 PM..

Old 02-06-2020, 04:53 PM

390 posts, read 508,164 times
Quote:
Anyone familiar with Choy Lay F.ut Kung Fu? In this video they demonstrate MMA fighters using striking techniques similar to those used in Choy Lay F.ut.
Just very wide, loopy hooks. Sure they hurt and can work, just that Western Boxing's much more compact and quick hook, is superior.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:33 PM

4,579 posts, read 5,453,876 times
Quote:
What is your experience with CLF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)