Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:38 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,912 times

Advertisements

Its a disgrace that the Brazilans are calling jujitsu "Brazilan jujitsu." Jujitsu originated from Japan and it was introduced to Brazil by the Japanese. Just because few Brazilan jujitsu masters tweeked few moves doesn't give birth to a new form of martial arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
i like judo better anyways

I hate the way BJJ is taught

You drill some tech in slow mo, then you get to roll

but what about drills to develop physical abilities for ground grappling?

it relies too much on finesse, and totally ignores brute force

Old 10-06-2008, 11:17 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
Its a disgrace that the Brazilans are calling jujitsu "Brazilan jujitsu." Jujitsu originated from Japan and it was introduced to Brazil by the Japanese. Just because few Brazilan jujitsu masters tweeked few moves doesn't give birth to a new form of martial arts.
Its nothing new in the martial arts. Ed Parker took a Chinese art - kenpo and called it American Kenpo. Nothing American about it as its primarily a Chinese art. No big deal, its just marketing a product you're trying to sell.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:41 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
I don't train, but I thought Jujitsu was more striking oriented, as oppossed to BJJ, which is submission grappling oriented.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
BJJ was developed by the Gracies, who learned their art from a Kodokan Judo practitioner. So yes, it came from Judo, which of course came from Japanese Jiu Jitsu. I practice both arts, but think of BJJ as a means through which I can improve my newaza for Judo.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 AM

35 posts, read 108,725 times
JiuJitsu is very very different than Judo, with the newaza being much more advanced, and in particular, developed to what it is by the Gracie family. Therefore, it is a very different sport than judo and japanese ju-jitsu and needs to be classified as such. It also has it's own entirely unique rule system for competition.

If you went to a judo academy, and all they taught was newaza derived from Carlos and Helio Gracie, you'd be pissed off, because you wouldn't be doing judo. It's in the practitioner's benefit that things are labeled as such.

You could complain about any sport that has varieties within it: Greco Roman versus Folk or Freestyle wrestling, NASCAR versus Indy, Football vs Rugby vs American Football, Softball vs Baseball. etc.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
i like judo better anyways

I hate the way BJJ is taught

You drill some tech in slow mo, then you get to roll

but what about drills to develop physical abilities for ground grappling?

it relies too much on finesse, and totally ignores brute force
I don't know where you trained, but at my old school we drilled strength and power moves all the time, not to mention tons of conditioning. Hundreds of pushups, situps, rope climbing, peg board climbing, gi lapel climbing, squats, weight lifting etc.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagIV View Post
JiuJitsu is very very different than Judo, with the newaza being much more advanced, and in particular, developed to what it is by the Gracie family. Therefore, it is a very different sport than judo and japanese ju-jitsu and needs to be classified as such. It also has it's own entirely unique rule system for competition.

If you went to a judo academy, and all they taught was newaza derived from Carlos and Helio Gracie, you'd be pissed off, because you wouldn't be doing judo. It's in the practitioner's benefit that things are labeled as such.

You could complain about any sport that has varieties within it: Greco Roman versus Folk or Freestyle wrestling, NASCAR versus Indy, Football vs Rugby vs American Football, Softball vs Baseball. etc.
BJJ is a very different sport from Judo; I would argue that it is not a greatly different art. You can indeed, with great but limited success (understand what I am saying here), compete in Judo matches using newaza taught by those people who learned from the Carlos/Helio Gracie system. Carlos and Helio Gracie learned their newaza from a Kodokan Judo practitioner; what they learned was judo, although they and their descendants developed that judo into a separate sport from what they learned. BJJ is Judo in the same sense that Greco-Roman, Freestyle and folkstyle are all wrestling.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagIV View Post
I don't know where you trained, but at my old school we drilled strength and power moves all the time, not to mention tons of conditioning. Hundreds of pushups, situps, rope climbing, peg board climbing, gi lapel climbing, squats, weight lifting etc.
That is the best way to learn BJJ and Judo. Conditioning is just as important as technique.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
BJJ is a very different sport from Judo; I would argue that it is not a greatly different art. You can indeed, with great but limited success (understand what I am saying here), compete in Judo matches using newaza taught by those people who learned from the Carlos/Helio Gracie system. Carlos and Helio Gracie learned their newaza from a Kodokan Judo practitioner; what they learned was judo, although they and their descendants developed that judo into a separate sport from what they learned. BJJ is Judo in the same sense that Greco-Roman, Freestyle and folkstyle are all wrestling.
That's what I'm saying. I didn't say it was a different art. However, I stick to my original point that, that in this day and age people have an idea of what judo is, and what bjj is, and when looking for traditional judo, they wouldn't want the newaza intensive training of bjj.

Something interesting to note, when the Gracies learned from Maeda, judo was still called 'jiu-jitsu' in Japan. So, in terms of etymology, they are actually being pure, simply by stating that it's a Brazilian variety of the art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)