Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 PM

152 posts, read 331,100 times

Advertisements

Missoula is very interesting. It definitely has core Portland issue going on, but it is remarkably friendlier and less depressed. I saw a bumper sticker the other day reading "Keep Missoula Weird", and thought to my self uh-oh. There is a control freak nature to the place but it lacks to the capital to become corrupt like Oregon and is held in check by the rest of the state. Portland can and is spinning out of control. Portland is also outright abusive to conservative thought.

The other thing that I found interesting about Missoula is that the two most outwardly expressions of Religious faith to complete strangers that I have seen since I have been in the west took place in Missoula.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,074,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's cathedral View Post
Portland is also outright abusive to conservative thought .
I knew a couple who were very liberal politically who moved here from Portland, they turned quite conservative after living just outside of Missoula for a little over two years.
Sometimes I think that Montana either fixes peoples attitudes or kicks them back to where they ran from.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:49 PM

152 posts, read 331,100 times
I wonder what part of Portland they lived in? What other changes were going on in their lives? In what way did they become more conservative, and what was considered liberal about their views?Nothing in Missoula comes close to the near eastside of Portland and the liberal intelligentsia in the Northwest. It is funny that one of the women in my bar review course described Missoula as fascist. I never asked her why she thought that, but she had just move to Big Sky from Seattle.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 PM

Wink Standard or narrow gauge ?

After considerable contemplation I've come to the conclusion that the answer to the OP's question is a big YES !
The next question will be if it should be narrow gauge or standard rails !

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-31-2010 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Edited out a word.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 10,298 times
Thank you for all the responses. A couple of comments though. I am a 6th generation Oregonian. There are many things I love about Oregon, especially the Coast. Yes, it is very liberal, but only in the city. The outlining areas (Eastern Oregon) are not. I have very strong political views, but I know when to pick my battles. I have come to find many Conservatives are extremely vocal and blast out comments without thinking, such as using derogatory comments such as "****" and "******s" that offend me immensely because you are attacking my friends and family members. I can and have been a wonderful neighbor everywhere I have lived. I think i am very well liked, I just don't want to every conversation I have to end up in the political arena. Thanks again, everyone.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:30 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny roy View Post
I have come to find many Conservatives are extremely vocal and blast out comments without thinking, such as using derogatory comments such as "****" and "******s" that offend me immensely because you are attacking my friends and family members.
This is hardly just a 'conservative' thing. EVERY time I've tried to have a political discussion with a liberal, I'm told my conservative ideas are "stupid" but with no reason why, they just are. "If you can't attack the message, attack the messenger."

I'd be fine with "Your candidate is stupid because Reason 1, Reason 2, and Reason 3." Tell me WHY you think that and we can have a discussion. But I'm not fine with "Your candidate (or belief, or whatever) is stupid" with no thinking behind it, just blind dogma. And I suspect most Montanans think that way... open to at least listening if you present a reasonable argument, but not if you just tell 'em they think like dumb hicks.

Anyway, I'm off to meet Rickers and help measure the rail gauge goin' leftcoastward.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM

People who dwell in the political world be it on the stump or at Starbucks can seldom engage in a conversation with anyone without politics coming up. That's OK there is nothing wrong with political debate and civil arguments. Most folks I know want to live long and prosper. I have high blood pressure so when politics or religion come up I grab my ugly stick and tackle box and go argue with a fish. That kind of fighting lowers my blood pressure and often feeds me too.
On both sides I believe that most freshman politicians start off nice and clean and after wallowing for a while in the government pig-sty they become dirtier than an overflowing septic tank.

Anyone who follows me to my secret fishing spot will be used for bait !

Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
On both sides I believe that most freshman politicians start off nice and clean and after wallowing for a while in the government pig-sty they become dirtier than an overflowing septic tank.

Anyone who follows me to my secret fishing spot will be used for bait !
I think you're right -- most start off full of starry-eyed idealism and are out to change the world, but these battle plans fail to survive contact with the enemy.

As to your fishin' spot, I don't recommend using me for bait. It would scare the fish.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 10,298 times
Dear Reziac,
I completely agree. It would "Pleasantville" if both political parties could converse in a calm reasonable conversation about politics. Now, lets not get started on the Catholic Church or Religious Fundamentalists. HaHa...

Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
EVERY time I've tried to have a political discussion with a liberal, I'm told my conservative ideas are "stupid" but with no reason why, they just are. "If you can't attack the message, attack the messenger."
The secular-progressive-liberal is always the first to declare "let's not use ad hominem attacks" in our discussion; but, all too often, they are the first to turn to ad hominem attacks when they are losing the argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana