Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:15 AM

63 posts, read 217,995 times

Advertisements

I'm also retired and lived several years in N. Idaho; I still love it but my kids and grandkids are in S. Calif. so here I am.
I wouldn't live east of Glacier Park if they gave me all of it free. Cold, never-ending winter, gales from Alberta, hot as Hades in summer, and nothing to do. Did I mention the western red-neck mentality?
If it were me, I'd look in the Kalispel-to-Eureka corridor, or Libby areas. Gentler winters and summers, beautiful rivers, lakes and mts. and a ski area at Whitefish. Check out the Columbia area east of Whitefish or Troy, west of Libby.
I doubt you would be happy in the Glasgow area unless you like isolation and tough living. Check it out in January or February or August, not in the nice spring weather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 04:40 AM

152 posts, read 530,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normsw View Post
I'm also retired and lived several years in N. Idaho; I still love it but my kids and grandkids are in S. Calif. so here I am.
I wouldn't live east of Glacier Park if they gave me all of it free. Cold, never-ending winter, gales from Alberta, hot as Hades in summer, and nothing to do. Did I mention the western red-neck mentality?
If it were me, I'd look in the Kalispel-to-Eureka corridor, or Libby areas. Gentler winters and summers, beautiful rivers, lakes and mts. and a ski area at Whitefish. Check out the Columbia area east of Whitefish or Troy, west of Libby.
I doubt you would be happy in the Glasgow area unless you like isolation and tough living. Check it out in January or February or August, not in the nice spring weather!
my point exactly, thats why i live on the eastern side guess i better look in the mirror at the back of my neck

Old 11-25-2007, 01:36 PM

264 posts, read 397,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeseticlady View Post
With photography as my hobby, I often jump in the car & take a ride. Very recently I went to St Marie. I live in Glasgow, MT which is nearby. It was windy that day in Glasgow ... but the wind in St Marie was much fiercer. There are very few occupied houses there & the ones that have been renovated & occupied are surrounded by abandoned housing. There is no where to shop ... not even get milk & there are no gas stations in St Marie; so you'd have to take the 17 or so mile trip into Glasgow for even the most basic of things. Although that doesn't seen far ... they do no salting of the roads here ... just some sanding here and there. Route 24 ... the road out to St Marie, can get treacherous in the winter with the ice. Even a skiff of snow will turn to ice at the low temps experienced here and the roads up at St Marie are slowly being reclaimed by nature I am sending you some pics I took that day. You be able to see the abandoned house to the right of the one that was refurbished & the state of the streets in the 3rd pic.
Wow!!!! How things have changed since 1966-67 when I was a finance and accounting clerk at Glasgow AFB. The pictures you show depict how much the area has deteriorated. The base housing area when I was there was vibrant and full of life. It took on some very dark aspects during early late 66 early 67 when the B-52's and the tankers were deployed to Guam and Okinawa during Operation Arc Light in the Viet Nam era for six months.

Lots of lonely young ladies were left on that base. Some went to their former homes, but by the time those air crews returned after six months of TDY in the far east, many relationships and liasons had been formed by lonely single airmen and lonely wives in the housing area. Glasgow AFB wasn't great duty...especially if a spouse was thousands of miles away dropping bombs for six months.

I was so glad when I got discharged in June 1967 and returned to the northeast.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:39 PM

239 posts, read 687,731 times
The ONLY reason to move to St. Marie is because you have no other choice. I see it as a place for those who never saved for retirement and plan to try to get by on social security. I moved from Glasgow 35 years ago to get ahead in life. I will soon be retiring and able to live most anywhere I want...NOT in St. Marie.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:10 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Doer View Post
The ONLY reason to move to St. Marie is because you have no other choice. I see it as a place for those who never saved for retirement and plan to try to get by on social security. I moved from Glasgow 35 years ago to get ahead in life. I will soon be retiring and able to live most anywhere I want...NOT in St. Marie.
even then there are plenty of places where you can get a house about as cheap,and be much closer to a nicer area.there are plenty of places in central and eastern montana id prefer to live that would be about as cheap

Old 12-07-2007, 09:19 PM

339 posts, read 1,166,751 times
The landscape of St. Maries/The abandoned Glasgow Airfoce base once doubled for the frozen Arctic in Clint Eastwood’s film FIREFOX. Now who really wants to live in the frozen Artic?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 5,214 times
Default Been there, done that!

My husband and I lived in St. Marie for one year. Yes there is a lot of negativity surrounding the place. But what you do not hear is the wonderful things the place has to offer that we have not found anywhere else.

This little ghost town of crumbling housing offers total peacefulness away from the busy, stressed out world. You learn to drive on ice in the winter and bundle up and take your walks in the sub-zero temps to the post office (local meeting place).

Glasgow is 10 minutes away for shopping, train, plane, and medical. Friday night is potluck night and cards. We enjoyed other activities like the ice cream social, outdoor club, Christmas potluck with Santa, Halloween party, craft fair, and womens club. You know your neighbor and they know you. You don't have to lock your doors in fear of whatever (priceless).

I now live on a well know golf course here in Washington and miss my friends I moved away from over 3 years ago. No where have I made such good friends and enjoyed the positives more than the negatives than I did at St. Marie.

May God bless the people still living there.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:45 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normsw View Post
!
So we're talking about a four-season climate, slow-paced environment, and good conservative people.
So... what's the downside?

Old 01-18-2008, 06:31 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,062 times
I would take Peck over St. Marie any day.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:24 AM

406 posts, read 1,359,958 times
there isn't much out there. been through there a few times, and i don't have much to say. it is as desolate as everyone sais.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana